• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does a Quickened Spell have a Somatic component?

Jeremy

Explorer
I know I've read somewhere that they don't as it isn't something that I'd come up with on my own.

It was suggested to me recently that I read it in a FAQ entry that was subsquently retracted.

Is there a passage somewhere I'm forgetting?

Felix

Explorer
The Quicken Spell metamagic feat only modifies the time it takes to cast a spell. Therefore it does not remove any of the Verbal, Somatic, or Material components. You might say for reasons of verisimillitude that the metamagic feat shortens them... but this shortening has no material effect upon the presence of the Somatic of Verbal components.

They are still there; other mages would not suffer the penalties associated with a lack of V or S or M components as they make their spellcraft checks to identify the spell being cast.

You would not be able to cast a Quickened spell in a zone of Silence, unless you also had Silent Spelled it.

You would still have a hard time casting a Quickened spell in a grapple due to the interference with the Somatic component.

And everything else associated with V, S, or M components would remain unchanged.

MerakSpielman

First Post
I just figured they twiddled their fingers, snapped, or something else that takes no time, and that the verbal component was reduced to a single word...

What's funny is you can scribe a Quickened scroll (can't you?), where you whip the scroll out of your belt, glance at it for an instant, and BOOM! a fireball goes off across the room.

irdeggman

First Post
A scroll cannot be quickened. I'd have to find out the FAQ on that one, but I know it is there. This is because using a scroll is an activate item action and not a casting spell action.

Bauglir

First Post
Think of the poor wizard trying to cast a quickened Hideous Laughter.

Trying to throw tiny tarts and wave a feather in the air all as a free action is no laughing matter...

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
The only thing I could find is an entry in the D&D Main FAQ for 3.0:

Main FAQ 3.0 said:
Does a quickened spell still require the components it usually does (verbal, somatic, and material)? For example, can a silenced or grappled wizard still cast a quickened dispel magic?
Quicken Spell makes a spell quick; you still need all the components normally required for a quickened spell. If you want help casting spells while grappled, you need Still Spell. If you want help casting spells while silenced, you need Silent Spell.

I guess, then, that this still applies for 3.5.

Andargor

Aubri_

First Post
Bauglir said:
Think of the poor wizard trying to cast a quickened Hideous Laughter.

Trying to throw tiny tarts and wave a feather in the air all as a free action is no laughing matter...

I dunno, I think I'd laugh...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads