• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Adulthood Change the RPG Experience Much?

Does Adulthood Change the RPG Experience Much?

• Yes

Votes: 351 89.5%
  • No

Votes: 41 10.5%

Psion

Adventurer
As someone who is used for running adults, and is looking to start a "family" game soon and am contemplating a number of things to do different, I'll say "yes."

JoeGKushner

First Post
Well, if we're assuming you start play as a young adult/teen, then it'd be rare if not impossible for it not to be. Games go through different editions, people move, have life experiences, the new hot thing because the old dead thing, etc...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes. People change a whole lot as they become adults, so you'd expect their tastes and thus their games to aslo change.

suburbaknght

First Post
Even beyond more mature topics, I expect my players to handle more complex and intricate plots, philosophical and moral dillemas that actually require thought, and to make more involved characters.

It changes most definitely, though I think that there are some things that remain unchanged. There are certain iconic moments within the game, that have never ceased to thrill our gaming groups throughout the years and editions.

The first +1 item your character raises aloft in reward for a hard-earned victory.

The first time you manage to kill a monster in one blow.

The first fight with a dragon.

The sinking feeling (sometimes literally) of the first trap sprung.

ewgPirate

First Post
my friend tried to bring his sons in to a campaign and it made it hard when the kids were throwing fire balls and magic missles at every thing that moved and some things that didn't

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
No.

Experience and maturity change the game, but adulthood by itself? No way. I played for a number of years after I was an adult, but I still played the way I did in HS.

I have changed since then, but even then I'm not sure how much of it is maturity versus the fact that I have less time to game and want to get more out of each session.

And when my kids get older and I start gaming with them, I'm sure things will change again.

Remove ads