D&D 5E Does an item to enhance Unarmed Strike exist?

Simonb1

Explorer
Of course, do not forget about Ki Empowered Strikes at level 6, which enables his Unarmed attacks to count as magical for bypassing resistance to non-magical attacks.

Horwath

Legend
If you want to use an official item, there is the "Insignia of Claws" which can be found in the HOTDQ. From what I remember it gives a +1 to hit & dmg for unarmed and natural attacks.

And it is wondrous item, so it does not "use" and body slot or attunement.

Guess you just need to have it in a pocket or something :p

I believe he's referring to the bonus action attack(s) granted by martial arts and flurry, which are normally unarmed attacks, and not to the damage of monk weapons.

Ah, fair enough, I missed that distinction.

That does seem like a needlessly finicky restriction to require that they be only unarmed strikes, since a Fighter or Rogue with a magical quarterstaff can already employ them. I find it hard to believe that allowing three to four strikes with a +1 magical weapon is broken, but allowing two strikes with a +1 magic weapon and one to two strikes with +0 magical unarmed strikes is perfectly fine. The damage difference is going to be about 2 damage, and it means that Martial Arts basically becomes Two-Weapon Fighting style. I suppose the ability to use one weapon instead of requiring two is a non-zero benefit until the character has two magical weapons, but it still seems like a fairly minor distinction to me. A Monk couldn't benefit from the two-weapon feat, anyhow.

CapnZapp

Legend
I find it hard to believe that allowing three to four strikes with a +1 magical weapon is broken, but allowing two strikes with a +1 magic weapon and one to two strikes with +0 magical unarmed strikes is perfectly fine.
This is exactly what the rules tell us.

Why otherwise go to the trouble of making sure you can't combine Flurry and Monk Weapons...?

Do note the Monk explicitly gains magical attacks so it isn't as if the designers aren't aware of the consequences of their rules.

Still it *does* mean the poster is correct: there is no way to boost overall monk damage using core books alone. A magic (monk) weapon will only enhance two out of four attacks.

This is the reality you need to be aware of before choosing the Monk class: unlike Fighters et al, the core rules allows you only the hope of an item half as useful as for a fighter.

Enter the class with open eyes.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

The Critical role Taldorei Campaign setting has a vestige(item levels when you do) for a monk. See below. The initial stage is for anywhere from level 5 to 10 the awakened is for 11-15 level play and the Exalted is for 15+ level play. They are a little overtuned, but are quite nice

Wraps of Dyamak
Wondrous item, legendary (requires attunement by a monk)
Created and wielded by the ancient warrior called Dyamak,
these thick cloth strips of enchanted material appear to be
stained with blood of unknown origin. You have a +1 bonus
to attack and damage rolls made with your unarmed strikes.
Whenever you finish a short or long rest, you gain a
number of temporary hit points equal to your full ki points.
Awakened
When a character awakens the Wraps of Dyamak, apply
the following changes to the item’s traits:
• Increase your bonus to attack and damage rolls to +2.
• As a bonus action, you can cast the spell misty step. You
cannot use this ability again until you score a critical
hit with an unarmed strike, or you complete a short
or long rest.
Exalted
When a character exalts the Wraps of Dyamak, apply the
following changes to the item’s traits:
• Increase your bonus to attack and damage rolls to +3.
• When you hit with an unarmed strike, you can choose
to make the attack a Ravenous Strike. The target takes
an additional 6d6 necrotic damage, and you regain hit
points equal to the additional necrotic damage dealt.
You cannot use this ability again until you complete a
short or long rest.

Remove ads