• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best Virtual Tabletop program?

Herr der Qual

First Post
Sorry if I put this under the wrong prefix/wrong thread:

Involved in a campaign where we are using a virtual tabletop as our DM lives two hours away from the rest of the group, was wondering if anyone here has any good experience with the virtual tabletop programs out there, so far we've been using RPTools Maptool, Fantasy Grounds has my interest and I've made an account at Roll20 but I'm not sure which direction would be the best, I don't mind paying for the service IF it's worth paying for, any help? Also I would love to DM or play in another 5E campaign, not many players where I live so, anyone who would also be interested in doing a long distance campaign let me know!

RSKennan

Explorer
Fantasy Grounds is great, and the 5e ruleset handles most things automatically. For example, if you script it right (or drag the ability from a parsed rulebook onto a character sheet) you can simply target an enemy (control-click on them on the map), and click on your ability. The program then rolls any attacks, saving throws, and applies the appropriate damage or effects to the target. You won't find that kind of automation anywhere else, and having played with several different VTTs, including Roll20, I find Fantasy Grounds combined with Skype is the most like playing at a physical table. It really makes running a game go smoothly. There is a learning curve of course. If you get it, pm me, and I might be able to help you out.

Also- it has pretty 3d dice to roll. :D

Edit: Another great thing about Fantasy Grounds is that if you buy it outright, you'll have it for the entire life of the program, no matter how many times they update it. I have a key from the launch of the first version of the program that still works. Additionally, since you host your own files, you don't have to pay for extra storage- though there has been talk of cloud backup. My issues with roll20 were lack of automation, features hidden behind a subscription paywall (which quickly ends up costing more than FG does), and caps on storage. The one thing Roll20 has over FG from the GM side is dynamic lighting, but I could never get it to work right.

Last edited:

Herr der Qual

First Post
I've already downloaded the trial version and must admit the polish and potential functionality appeal to my nerdier, lazier and graphically rewarding brain

acsoares

First Post
Sorry if I put this under the wrong prefix/wrong thread:

Involved in a campaign where we are using a virtual tabletop as our DM lives two hours away from the rest of the group, was wondering if anyone here has any good experience with the virtual tabletop programs out there, so far we've been using RPTools Maptool, Fantasy Grounds has my interest and I've made an account at Roll20 but I'm not sure which direction would be the best, I don't mind paying for the service IF it's worth paying for, any help? Also I would love to DM or play in another 5E campaign, not many players where I live so, anyone who would also be interested in doing a long distance campaign let me know!

You may want to check out D20Pro. They are developing some cool functionality in their product from what I am seeing. Check them out.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I need to check, and possibly update, my RPGNow account. A long time ago, I bought the GM license for Fantasy Grounds. The system worked well, though I could have used more instructions on the drag and drop to use my actual modifiers. On the other hand, I did find the manual for programming other rule sets daunting.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads