• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone have any experience with running campaigns starting at level 0, or where the adventurers start as commoners?

Gavin O.

First Post
I'm working on a campaign where the adventurers start as commoners, who are dropped in a forest full of danger when the carriage they were riding in is ransacked by werewolves. I want the players to start weaker than a first-level character would be, to reflect that fact that they're not really adventurers and haven't learned how to fight. After the first session or two, after a few days or weeks of trying to survive, they can choose a class that reflects the fact that they've gained skill as an adventurer in the forest. First of all, do you think it's a good idea to do something like this, or should I just start my players off at level 1? Secondly, should they start as some generic "commoner" class with no abilities and get to choose a class later, or should they start with their classes but at level 0, with their proficiencies but no class features.

Slit518

Adventurer
Actually, I do! A few friends and I started a campaign on Roll20 where we all started out as commoners. We gave ourselves backgrounds, what we did, etc...

It was a rotationary DM game, so at the end we would roll to see who the next DM was. Well, when the story was appropriate we all picked classes for our characters. BUT, the classes had to be similar to things we actually did while playing the couple sessions at level 0, and it was discussed among all of us.

The way we solved it is they get 4 HP at level 1 + Con mod. Their first level in a class will replace this later.

They have a 1 Proficiency mod. They know any skills/languages/tools from their race and background. They have weapon proficiency in Wizard's weapons, which I believe is the smallest, simplest selection.

Starting equipment/money was based on background. We also had jobs though which earned us income. My character was a coal miner, another was a church hand, another looked after an old temple, and a third was a scrounge.

The level 0 aspect of it was real fun, and great for roleplaying.

I ran a pre-made level 0 adventure called "Treasure Hunt," though it was made for second edition, it translates pretty easily for 5E. It was fun, since everyone was just a commoner, caught and then awaken on a slave ship with no idea where they are.

It was also neat that the actions a player made in the game would specify what class they may be later on in the game when they level up to 1.

jgsugden

Legend
It can work - but it doesn't add much to the game. 1st level adventurers are not terribly strong. Making them all generic commoners makes them all feel a bit similar and flat - although a player gaming the system might choose a race with a relatively strong racial ability like human variant and might end up being too strong for the battles you've balanced for a bunch of commoners.

What you might do is have them build 1st level PCs and then explain they are novices still - so you're removing a key feature from each PC. Druids, clerics, wizards and sorcerers have cantrips, but not spells. Fighters do not benefit from their fighting style. No sneak attack for rogues. No rage for barbarians. Etc.... Allow them to gain the extra abilities of their class after the suitable time you decide upon.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I really wanted to do this, but there were tears from some of my players. We're getting ready to start a new game and the DM is starting us at 1st level. I'm excited for it. Low-level play can be a lot of fun.

It is how quite a few fantasy stories begin - Druss the Legend for instance - a farmer whose wife is kidnapped by slavers goes on to become legendary fighter.

I have tried this type of thing once, but without the characters going off to learn their skills had to come up with how they gained there 'powers' however limited quickly. Which in my case was they found a place where the spirits of ancient heroes were bound and these then merged with the souls of the characters. The idea was from being completely helpless (they were being hunted by Orcs) to some powers they became the defenders of the weak. All very cheesy but I was about 17 in my defense and thought it was brilliant.

Gavin O.

First Post
What you might do is have them build 1st level PCs and then explain they are novices still - so you're removing a key feature from each PC. Druids, clerics, wizards and sorcerers have cantrips, but not spells. Fighters do not benefit from their fighting style. No sneak attack for rogues. No rage for barbarians. Etc.... Allow them to gain the extra abilities of their class after the suitable time you decide upon.

Yeah, I like that idea.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
It’s essentially how I’ve started all but one of my campaigns for almost 30 years, starting when AD&D 2E first came out. In 5E terms, I would start everyone with a background, +2 Proficiency. Either no weapon proficiency, or only half proficiency in one wizard weapon. Characters were not fully matured, so would not get get all of the racial bonuses (ability bonuses and dark vision yes. Feats, some special abilities no.) These extras would start to come out as they adventured a bit.
Also, they would get a key class ability or two before they reached first level.

Tony Vargas

Legend
commoners, who are dropped in a forest full of danger when the carriage they were riding in is ransacked by werewolves.
Commoners riding in a carriage?

do you think it's a good idea to do something like this, or should I just start my players off at level 1?
5e level 1 is 'apprentice tier,' so it fits pretty well.

Secondly, should they start as some generic "commoner" class with no abilities and get to choose a class later,
I've done that in 3e, since the commoner was right there. Messes with 'builds,' of course.
or should they start with their classes but at level 0, with their proficiencies but no class features.
Probably the best bet in 5e. Start them with a d6 HD, and whatever their backgrounds give them.
Add selected abilities from each class unless you have a scenario in mind that will just suddenly grant or awaken class abilities in them...

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
A friend of mine took me through a Dungeon Crawl Classics 0-level adventure last year and it was one of the most enjoyable role-playing experiences in recent years. I don't know how well it would work in 5e, but in the DCC module we had 3 players. Each player had four characters. Each character had a commoner job: carpenter, blacksmith, etc. They had some "equipment" that made sense for their background. The DM would allow us to prepare more equipment if it made sense. E.g., a farmer is likely to have a shovel, pitchfork, etc.

Basically, a member of the village found an entrance to a long-forgotten dungeon. When he disappeared and people came looking for him to make sure he was all right, they found the entrance dug in from his home. Some brave villagers put together a group to go find him.

Many/most died. But we had a great time.

Thinking about what made the DCC experience so fun, here is how I would do level 0 in 5e.

1. Make sure the players are on board.

Many players want to skip to 3rd or 5th level. Not everyone like low-tier play. Make sure that they understand that they will be playing multiple characters and most will die. Eventually, they will choose one to be the main adventuring character.

2. Start with 4 characters

Come up with a way to have 2-4 characters on one sheet of papers. They won't have much in terms of equipment or abilities, so it should be doable. Explain to the players that it is expected that some will die. From any that make it to first level, you'll choose your main adventuring character.

3. Build based on race and background--no class

I think the easiest thing in 5e is to first come up with the attributes as normal (whether rolling, point buy, or standard array doesn't matter).
Next, select a race and apply and stat changes, proficiencies, skills, and traits.
Third, select or make up a background. This will give them some additional proficiencies, skills, and equipment.

4. Provision

They should only have items granted by their background. They or their family or friends in the village may have other items they have access to, but they will not start with weapons (unless a soldier or similar background), and dungeoneer packs, etc.

Starting the Campaign

Easiest is to have them from the same village. Something comes up and they join a posse to hunt down a threat. A sink hole to a forgotten dungeon appears and a child falls in. They put together a group to save the child. This way they have acccess to items from their homes and other villagers. Allows them to realistically provision themselves with little money or starting equipment.

You could also have them all members of the caravan. Or part of a large group of refugees fleeing some war. But whatever the background, the odds are stacked against them so at least make sure they have some means to get basic equipment and provisions.

Leveling Up

I'd milestone it. They either hit their first level and select a class after the first adventure or after a short series of adventures. I would say 1 to 3 sessions / 4-12 hours of play seems about right.

Last edited:

Remove ads