• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone play 3.0 Edition?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
There are hardly any rules from 3.0 that changed in 3.5 which I feel are better in their original incarnations. 3.0 was the open beta for 3.5 (yeah, that was WotC's nasty little joke on everyone from the start). You don't see a lot of people still playing open beta versions of stuff for a good reason.

papastebu

First Post
When I first saw all the 3.0 stuff, I thought that they were using all the best house rules as parts of the core game, this time out. I felt like they didn't go quite far enough, though. I like to take the coolest elements that I can find from each set of the rules and mix them up to get something that allows for the players, and myself, to have exactly what we want in a given situation. We throw in a lot of stuff from other systems and game worlds, as well as distilling stuff from books and movies as much as we can, too. The game has become just one big houserule, for us.
A lot of the stuff we have used has come about because we wanted some mechanics that reflected the story and whatnot, like racial and class abilities being done in different ways for each race/class. I don't know anyone who actually uses 3.0 or any other system RAW. I did like the "37" answer, though. Even if it's not accurate, it's still funny.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
...3.0 was the open beta for 3.5 (yeah, that was WotC's nasty little joke on everyone from the start). You don't see a lot of people still playing open beta versions of stuff for a good reason.

Completely Untrue.

3.0 was not intended as an open beta for 3.5. 3.5 was not even specifically planned for when 3.0 was developed. 3.5 came about as a need appeared to clean up problems and errata that had come to light with widespread play of 3.0. Unfortunately, 3.5 ended up becoming much more than just a cleaning up and fixing of errata, and decisions were made to make more large and significant changes to the system itself. Changes that were unpopular with some of the 3.0 designers and even developers involved with 3.5.

The changes in 3.5 were a mixed bag of necessary and good, as well as unnecessary and not so good.

Objectiveness is a wonderful talent to develop, but it requires the ability to seperate personal preferences from evaluations. It also means not portraying personal preferences as defacto truth, and especially resisting the urge for revisionist history. I've found objectiveness a worthy attribute, though it does require practice and honest self evaluation.

To the OP: I myself don't play either 3.0 or 3.5 straight, I play my own houseruled system based on 3E. I used 3.0 as my chasis, and used the parts of 3.5 I found to be necessary and good, as well as bits and pieces from Pathfinder, Trailblazer, and 4E - and left the parts I didn't prefer behind.

I personally don't know anyone who still plays 3.0 straight, though I have seen people posting here at ENWorld who say they do.

:)

Ahnehnois

First Post
I was a big 3.0 fan, but like most I think the revision brought a lot of good and not a lot of bad. I suspect there are very few people who still play 3.0, although some may use houserules on a 3.5 game that harken back to it.

GreyLord

Legend
I occasionally play in 3e games, though normally we allow mixed in stuff from 3.5 into the game...such as stuff from sandscape or dungeonscape or other arenas.

The ones I've played 3e with chose it because they came late to the game and couldn't find cheaper 3.5 core books...so they got 3.0 books with me stating that they could take what they want from the SRD or my books if they really liked what they read.

They typically kept a LOT of the spells of 3e and magic description so buffs last a LOT longer and other items.

They don't go out to build pun puns or munchkin power builds...so it's not broken or other arenas of 3e which some feel were broken.

The pure reason however for these young padawans to be playing 3e is because they went out to get 3.5 books and they saw the 3e books were FAR cheaper for them...and it's there money.

If I run a 3.X game I run 3.5, I have the nice books for me (the fake leather deluxe versions) and my originals for them to use...VERY NICELY (abuse my books and I abuse you...well...maybe not abuse...but I won't allow you to touch them again).

I also have my original 3e PHB so playing with the 3e guys isn't that much of a problem, I also have my Sword and Fist and Tome and Blood for Prestige Kits if I really feel like it and they want to peruse the books.

AlucardD20

First Post
Thanks guys, I was curious, because I started playing with a group and they were playing straight 3E with some minor house rules move over from when they played 2E. When I went to use my 3.5 books as a reference they told me to put it away, they don't use those. So I wanted to see who still actually played 3E as 3E.

I noticed the 3E books still fetch a price for them, so someone has to be playing them.

Remove ads