• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone use the flip-mats?

caudor

Adventurer
I'm thinking about adding a subscription to these maps, but thought I would see what others think about them first.

If you have used or are using the flip-mats, please let me know your opinion. Thanks.

Nebten

First Post
I bought one and it was an open market/town setting. The other side was blank. We use the blank side quite a bit, the town very rarely. I think these are good for general environments (forest, desert, etc) that you will be playing in often. I have a hard time justifying buying one for a temple or pre-designed dungeon that you'll most likly only use once per gaming group.

I would say the quality of them are nice and I like the fact you can use dry erase on them. Easy for clean up. You can also fold them to 8x11 size so easy to wedge in one of your books for transport.

IronWolf

blank
I use them, though I only have three or four of them. They are handy for transporting around and can be used with wet or dry erase. I typically use the grid side only (i.e. the one without the special structure on it).

darjr

I crit!
they are used quite a bit in pathfinder society mods. I think they are great and wonderful if they fit the game. other than that I'm in the same boat. I'm no longer a big tiles fan either. as a blank map it's my favorite

pauljathome

First Post
I'm thinking about adding a subscription to these maps, but thought I would see what others think about them first.

If you have used or are using the flip-mats, please let me know your opinion. Thanks.

At least one with a blank side is very valuable. They're more portable and more easily eraseable than battle maps.

Beyond that, a couple that cover the kinds of terrain that you're going to use a LOT are valuable. I'm running a city campaign and frequently use the city map. In a wilderness campaign one or two of the wilderness ones would also be nice.

Many of them are likely only going to be of use once or twice unless you consciously build your own encounters to match the map.

I live in Canada so a subscription really isn't a great deal (the shipping costs means that its way too costly) for me.

S'mon

Legend
I love them! I use them all the time - I always bring two of the blank tan/grey ones to a game, plus a bunch of others. The more generic ones are most useful; all the forest trail ones & the city streets are great. I've also had good use from the bandit fort, the Keep, and I've used the very nice Country Inn.

Sometimes scaling is odd, I used the Warehouse one on Tuesday but really it was ridiculously too big for anything but "Area 54". For the Ship one I cut the decks out with scissors to use them better. I'm planning to use the Pirate Island one soon for a big battle on the shore.

Saint Mac

First Post
With Skull and Shak coming up, I will grab the Ship one. It looks nice and reusable. Currently have the shops and use them only occationally. The inn and one of the shops layout are very handy though.

Holy Bovine

First Post
I have six or seven of them so far and I think they're great! Once someone told me that you can use wet or dry erase markers on them I was sold. I use the pre-printed side for many different things (throw on a Dungeon Tile to make it look different each time) and the blank sides give a great variety of flooring to use for warehouses, theaters, palaces etc. These things are a steal at $13 CAN (my FLGS sells them at US prices in CAN $$$ - then gives me 10% off to cover the tax!). I would get a subscription to them through paizo but for two things
1) You have to get the less useful (to me) Map Packs in your Map Subscription
2) I like supporting my FLGS as it is very valuable to me

Steel_Wind

Legend
Read tomorrow's review article.

Short strokes: I LOVE flip-mats and have nearly all of them. They *rock*

Map-packs? Not so much...but they are improving.

contraserrene

First Post
It's hard to go wrong with the flipmats. Groups I play in have used the ship, the marketplace, and especially the blank ones. I like to use a big Chessex Megamat, but a folded flipmat is much easier to transport.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads