• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone want to talk about D&D?

kristoaster

First Post
I'm fed up with all the meta threads. Will WotC collapse? Is it time for 5e? Didn't anyone else realise Essentials would herald the apocalypse? Which edition are you changing to?

I don't care. My ranger has 17 different options for his level one encounter power. I don't need Wizards to publish anything else; sure, it'd be nice, but until then, I think I have enough choice.

So let's actually talk about D&D. What class are you playing? How is that? Has anything cool happened in your current adventure? I've got a minotaur avenger on the go and a human fighter/ranger hybrid waiting in the wings, and I'm having fun with them at the moment.

the Jester

Legend
My last game was both awesome and tragic. Things were down to the wire- we were looking at a possible tpk- and the party's long-time npc henchman had already been slain by the wizard's fire burst (he thought the npc would live through it- but CRITTED him!). Things were looking grim.

The BBEG... fumbled. I have an optional fumble system in which each player decides whether to enable fumbles; if he doesn't, neither he nor enemies attacking him are subject to fumbles.

The way said system works, if you fumble, you roll 3d6 for severity. Some of the higher-severity crits are very bad for you- heart attack, stroke, spontaneous combustion, etc.

I rolled a 17 severity for the fumble... and on the chart, the BBEG's fumble was "Summoned away by magic."

Poof.

The pcs survived and beat a hasty retreat to regroup before the baddie comes back.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm in a few games right now, all in one group. What we're playing depends upon who's the evening's DM. In the 3.5Ed games, I'm playing:
  1. a Human Cleric/Sorcerer/Mystic Theurge/Geomancer who is turning out to be one of the best healer/buffers I've ever played.
  2. a Human Sorcerer (who may multiclass in the future) who wears Scale Mail, swings a Maul, and breathes lightning instead of casting spells (usually). 100% fun!

While in the 4Ed game I'm playing a Dwarven Starlock/Psion. I have to admit that the Warlocks are something 4Ed seriously improved over 3.XEd- they've ceased to be one of my most hated classes and have become one of my faves in the new game.

Shemeska

Adventurer
My 3.x campaign is going to be starting back up in two weeks or so, where I'm playing a half-faerie dragon wizard/sorcerer/ultimate magus. The character is probably a giggle and pointy stick in the eyes of the notion of "optimization", but holy crap I'm having fun with her.

kristoaster

First Post
My last game was both awesome and tragic. Things were down to the wire- we were looking at a possible tpk- and the party's long-time npc henchman had already been slain by the wizard's fire burst (he thought the npc would live through it- but CRITTED him!). Things were looking grim.

The BBEG... fumbled. I have an optional fumble system in which each player decides whether to enable fumbles; if he doesn't, neither he nor enemies attacking him are subject to fumbles.

The way said system works, if you fumble, you roll 3d6 for severity. Some of the higher-severity crits are very bad for you- heart attack, stroke, spontaneous combustion, etc.

I rolled a 17 severity for the fumble... and on the chart, the BBEG's fumble was "Summoned away by magic."

Poof.

The pcs survived and beat a hasty retreat to regroup before the baddie comes back.

Nice :) I was reading a little while ago about one DM's group who rolled two nat 1s with Use Magic Device on a plane travelling vehicle... so five level four PCs ended up on the seventh level of hell, heh.

And that's quite reassuring, mostly I just hear bad stuff about 4e warlocks...

Dice4Hire

First Post
My face to face Dark Sun game is going willingly. Dark Sun fits 4E is well it is just amazing.

The party is three characters (small I know but all the players we got) and they are building a nice power base to the NE of Tyr. They cleared out a bandit tribe and moved a tribe that helped them into there and are rapidly becoming major powers in the tribe. They also have a friendly es-merchant house guy to help them run things. The game is progressing well.

bouncyhead

Explorer
This is more like it!

After an extended real-life enforced breakdown in our regular sessions we've managed to get a weekly game going online, with four players in the UK and two in Switzerland. Hoping to add in another player who is in the Seychelles shortly.

OUr current GM is running a Pathfinderized Midnight Campaign. I've got two PC's - a ranger (Knitted) who is just finding her feet and a druid (Menjimoo Munjimental) who I find bewildering, not having run a 3.x druid before.

There are no clerics (in fact no divine magic) in Midnight so the druid is the party healer and has the channel energy feature.

All in all it's a bit weird, but the campaign is going v well. Currently avoiding the forces of shadow as we track a potential ally through a spooky forest. A good mix of exploration and story with the occasional set-piece combat.

It's just great to be playing a regular game again.

Off topic (is there a topic?!) - was clearing out the attic at the weekend and dug out:

a) The old Dungeons & Dragons Trivia game - maybe I should start posting random questions!

b) A load of old 3rd edition stuff - I have read the occasional post implying that they are quite difficult to get hold of. Where should I post to see if anyone wants them?

Played Warhammer 3E last week, was a fun session with some investigation and "leg-work" into the disappearence of a coal trader, but cut short because of the visible shaking that hit one of the players - he started to get a fever apparantly. :(

The adventure is "Gathering Storm" (Spoiler Warning) and uses a tracker describing how the weather changes over time (it gets worse, in case you wouldn't guess it). The progress on that tracker seems to be primarily triggered by delays.
I am playing a Scout, and as such are naturally cautious and I am often using the conservative stance... I don't know how bad the weather will get, but I know it's all my fault.
(If you wonder what the above means, you need to play more Warhammer 3E - "Delay" is a result that you can roll on the dice representing the conservative stance. These dice overall tend to get better results then normal dice, but they come with drawbacks - the delays that can appear on the dice.)

We had to fight a group of Beastmen to acquire an artifact used by the Beastmen. They were pretty nasty. Thankfully, the Dwarfen Soldier held the line long enough so that we could slay their leader, which thankfully gave us a reprieve as the Beastmen decided to discuss the new arising career opportunities.
Unfortunately, the artifact we have to get is a heavy stone that attracts lightning. A little risky to hand to the Dwarf with a remaining wound capacity of 3 (after I used two healing draughts on him). Well, I am sure we will manage just fine... Did I mention that our party card is "Brash Young Fools"?

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Ah, to retell from another thread;

Awhile back in my 4e game, my psion grabbed an enemy using Living Missile - an enemy who then had the worst of luck with their saves, though me constantly penalizing them helps. I then threw the enemy back and forth at it's own allies like a wrecking ball and, when I was done, tossed it off a cliff.

Probably the most fun I've ever had in any combat situation in any edition of D&D.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
For a while now, my favorite character has been the Bard. I've always seen myself as more of a battlefield control / Booster than a damage machine.

But also there's the whip. Lots of times, when I join a new group, everyone is utterly astonished when I attack with the whip and start disarming and tripping all over the place. It's like... this isn't damage, how can it be winning us battles, but it is.

Remove ads