Does Combat Expertise lower my 'opposed attack roll' for disarm?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
RangerWickett said:
. . . which of course is still open to interpretation.

Oh, absolutely.

The answer to the question "When do you apply TWF penalties?" is "When you fight this way."

That's indisputable, and it's why it's the answer I give.

Exactly what it means? Well, that's the can of worms :)

-Hyp.

heggland

First Post
Kelleris said:
It's an attack roll and the attack roll penalties last for one full round after you accept them.

Note that in 3.5, the Combat Expertise penalty (and bonus) lasts until your next action, but Power Attack lasts until your next turn.

Felix

Explorer
Same thing happens when the other guy tries to Sunder.

It makes sense if you think of it like this:

When you Expertise, you are sticking your sword or whatever out there to deflect whatever weapon the enemy sends at you, and that slight deflection lets you dodge out of the way a little easier. The problem with that strategy is that it puts your sword and your hand out there. If the enemy is specifically striking for your hand or the blade of your weapon, then you've laid it out in front of him.

If you're fighting with two weapons, you now have two hilts to keep track of in your mind. The extra distraction of the other weapon makes it *just a bit* harder for you to keep a hold of your main weapon, of for you to avoid having your blade snapped off.

Either way, the extra coordination effort required by TWF, or the parrying mechanic of putting your sword and hand out in front of the enemy makes it harder for you to avoid maneuvers like Disarm and Sunder.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Felix said:
Same thing happens when the other guy tries to Sunder.

It makes sense if you think of it like this:

When you Expertise, you are sticking your sword or whatever out there to deflect whatever weapon the enemy sends at you, and that slight deflection lets you dodge out of the way a little easier. The problem with that strategy is that it puts your sword and your hand out there. If the enemy is specifically striking for your hand or the blade of your weapon, then you've laid it out in front of him.

I agree.

All modifiers should apply.

If you are performing Expertise, you are protecting yourself. You are not protecting your weapon(s).

Brain

First Post
As a tangent to this conversation, what if you are the one being sundered against, and you would prefer to hold your weapon away (behind you) so that your opponent can hit you, but cannot sunder your weapon? Let's say you don't have quick draw, so you want to keep your weapon in your hands rather than put it away.

So if I have Quickdraw and just want to make a single attack, I could attack with Combat Expertise, then sheathe my weapon? Then on my next turn quickdraw, attack with Combat Expertise, and sheathe it again?

I wish Quickdraw also let you Quicksheathe, but that'd look silly. I do have a Iaijutsu master in one of my games, and every round she attacks then sheathes, just for style's sake.

Felix

Explorer
So if I have Quickdraw and just want to make a single attack, I could attack with Combat Expertise, then sheathe my weapon? Then on my next turn quickdraw, attack with Combat Expertise, and sheathe it again?
You could do that, I guess. But the enemy could "attack a worn or carried item". He would incur an AoO, but not from you, since you've just disarmed yourself (Improved Unarmed Strike notwithstanding).

You could look into Locked Gauntlets. That +10 to disarm checks will help out and boost your check back to +21.

Remove ads