• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does Condition Immunity: Poison give Disease Immunity?

Will you give creatures with Poison Immunity Disease Immunity too?

• Yes, Always

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • No, Never

Votes: 38 63.3%
  • Sometimes, if they had it in my preferred previous edition(s)

Votes: 17 28.3%

Eejit

First Post
I can't find anywhere that says this is so, but it may simply be in the as-yet unreleased DMG. Or I'm blind.

Personally I think it probably does/will.

If you look at it none of the monsters you'd expect have disease immunity specificially listed, only poison.
That includes all Undead (corporeal and incorporeal), the Elementals ("pure" ones not the races like Salamander), the Solar, the Tarrasque, all Constructs, Unicorns.

All of those should be disease immune, but according to the RAW we have thus far, aren't.
Yet Demons in at least some past editions have only had the poison immunity/resistance but not diease, IIRC? Do they now get both?

In fact RAW in the PHB would suggest they're treated seperately, at least for players (see: Purity of Body).

So, until we get the DMG are you guys assuming Poison Condition Immunity includes Disease Immunity, or not?

Last edited:

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
Why would poison immunity give immunity to disease? No, it doesn't. 5e is much like 4e in that if it doesn't specifically state something, then it doesn't apply.

Eejit

First Post
So a Banshee can catch the cold? A Skeleton can suffer from Ebola? A Fire Elemental can run a temperature from a nasty flu?

In real world science diseases often cause harmful conditions through toxins they release, i.e. poison.

Last edited:

Eejit

First Post
Nope, that's only incidental to the discussion. Grow up.

In all of 5E only Land Druids, Monks and Paladins get explicit disease immunity. No monsters in the entire MM have disease immunity specified.

Eejit

First Post
THen again, PCs don't usually get Disease Arrows. Maybe they wanted to save on digital ink.

There are spells available which cause disease, and PCs can True Polymorph into forms which can cause disease.

Maybe they were saving ink, and the DMG will clarify that disease and poison immunity are merged.

Zaran

Adventurer
I understand what you are saying. I feel like it's a minor oversight and that you really don't need to get our opinions on the matter. If it makes sense for the story then make that a thing. I wouldn't let this poll influence your game.

Remove ads