• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Dragon magazine suck now?

pogre

Legend
I'm probably in the minority on this but I'm not crazy about using the magazine as a preview of rules. It reminds me of when GW does it with White Dwarf. If they're rules that add or give a variant to a released set then it is all good. In general I think Dragon is better than the 90's, but not as good as when 3E came out. I still love Dungeon though.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
As a subscriber, my main complaint for this past year was that there was no Dragon Annual, which *was* part of the reason I subscribed in the first place.

However, if they put more things like a DM screen (which they are doing later this year) in the magazine, that may offset the loss of an entire solid issue. (As long as the DM screen isn't a low-quality production.)

Silver Moon

Adventurer
pogre said:
I'm probably in the minority on this but I'm not crazy about...I still love Dungeon though.

I haven't been that fond of Dragon for a while, and my wife stopped reading it about a year ago. I will have to give serious consideration as to wheter I want to renew. However, I fully agree that Dungeon Mangazine is great!

coyote6

Adventurer
No, it doesn't suck.

Informal testing, involving hair, bits of dust, etc., have shown no abnormal behaviors that might be categorized as "sucking". (Nor have recent issues evidenced any abnormal repelling forces, for what that's worth).

Naturally, any issue of Dragon has the normal attributes of matter, including some measure of gravity -- but that's an infinitesimal amount, and is better characterized as "attracting" and not "sucking", anyways.

Last edited:

Airwolf

First Post
Well, I don't know if it sucks or not, I have never subscribed or purchased a copy.

I will put in a plug for the ENWorld Player's Journal. Now that's a good mag. Everyone should be getting this one.

So if you think Dragon sucks, dump it and pick up ENWorld Player's Journal!

lord irial

First Post
The Sigil said:
I'll sound the contrary voice here... IMO, the quality of Dragon has been declining over the past eight to twelve issues, with a noticeable (for me) drop-off since Paizo's takeover.

Why?

1.) The decline of articles on "metarules" - i.e., rules for making rules ("How to Design a PrC, Monster, etc.).

2.) A "stepping up" of content that I find inappropriate at best and objectionable at worst (specifically subject matter and language - and I'll leave it at that).

3.) A general decline IMO of the number of articles that seem "modular" enough for me to easily pick up and transplant to a campaign world. In the past 7 issues of Dragon, I was able to cull approximately 10 pages of material that I found "useful" for my world. 7 issues at $6 per issue means I'm paying $42 for 10 pages... or $4.20 per page. Sorry, but that's WAY too rich for my blood.

Now, I know some folks like the new direction Dragon is taking, but for me, it is going from "some stuff I want, some stuff I don't" (which I expect - I dont' expect it to perfectly cater to just me) to "no stuff I want, all stuff I don't." That, from my perspective, is a general decline in usefulness and makes the magazine "worse."

IMO, YMMV, and all that. I'm sure some people enjoy the new direction - it just seems to me that Dragon is going from "something for everyone" to "lots of stuff for some and none for others..." and since I happen to be in the "others" category, my opinion of the magazine is that it's getting worse. Those in the "some" category should think it's improving.

--The Sigil

I agree; I couldn't have said it better myself.

Mercule

Adventurer
It's a mixed bag, IMHO. I stopped playing D&D in about 1993 or so and started up again with 3E. Obviously, I didn't get Dragon during that time period and the style had completely changed, from my point of view. It took me a bit to figure out what of the new material I liked, but I did find quite a bit to like. So, my initial reaction to Dragon in 3E is "different, but not worse or better".

Still, I agree with whoever noted that it seemed to start to decline with issue #300. Other than the latest, I've looked through (in some detail) every issue since then and only #301 and #303 were worth purchase. IIRC, none of the others had any feature content worth my time thumbing through. The exception to this are the Wizard's Workshop articles, which may not be awe-inspiring, but always of some use.

Let's look at #303 and see what I liked and disliked:

p1 Cover art. One of the best since 3E. Unfortunately, that's like saying "one of the least painful kidney stones". I remember when cover art was, well, works of art. Since 3E (maybe somewhat before), the covers have been, frankly, uninspiring. I want to see a finished piece of art (ya know, with a background) that is more action than pose. Looking at the cover art for 306, I'm not sure I totally like it, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

p8. Wyrm's Turn: Eh, whatever. Mildly amusing, but not something that's a "draw" to me. Every other magazine includes a "from the editor" page. This one is better than most.

pp. 10-16 Scale Mail. I vaguely like the idea that there is a reader response area, but I rarely read it. Sometimes (like this issue) I browse and see if something catches my eye. I wouldn't miss it if it disappeared, but I begrudge the space it takes up less than some other bits.

pp. 20-39 Campaign Components. This isn't the best of the component articles, IMHO, but that's probably because I've only got a minor interest in gladiators. Still, it's a good, solid article. In itself almost worth the cover price. Put succinctly, I like the Campaign Components and will probably buy all that are forthcoming.

pp. 42-47 Prestige classes. Nice. I like the invisible blade more than the others, but you can't win them all. Still, the rules for all are solid and give some good ideas.

pp. 49-53 Optional rules. These are pretty good. I don't agree with all the options listed, but that's fine -- they're options. Still, it's overall a good article.

pp. 54-61 Fighting styles. Eh, mediocre. I like the idea of fighting styles and enjoy seeing some put together. I didn't particularly care for any of those listed, and thought the article ran a bit long. Basically, I like the concept, dislike the implementation. Try again.

pp. 63-67 "Ecology" of the Underdark. Again, mediocre. Not something that increases my odds of buying the magazine, but I'll probably get a bit of use out of it -- or not. Still, I can see the draw.

pp 68-70 Guild Secrets. Above average. Again, not something that I'd wait expectantly for, but I will harvest some ideas from it. I liked this GS better than the others I've browsed, though. Overall, it's a feature that makes sense to have as a regular feature, although I expect that it won't ever be my favorite.

pp 73-78 Fiction. Complete waste of space. I'd be more than happy to never see fiction in Dragon again and this isn't even particularly good fiction. To avoid a tirade on the matter, I'll just leave it at, I oppose the inclusion of short stories/novellas/excerpts/etc. in Dragon unconditionally.

pp 80-86 Silicon Sorcery. Waste of space. Please stop converting stuff from NWN. If Silicon Sorcery is going to be included, then please spend your time reviewing DM/Player aids. Please don't talk about video games -- if I wanted that I'd get PC Gamer. Even in the best of cases, I'd rather not see Silicon Sorcery.

pp 92-104 Wizard's Workshop. Nice. Most WW articles are at least somewhat useful. These are typical. These are a constant, and a pleasant one. Unfortunately, they are never of a quality to really spark an interest.

I didn't mention comics or ads. Ads are a necessary evil. Comics I enjoy, but there are a few too many in each issue.

Okay, so I obviously liked most of this issue. What's different with the others? Obviously, I didn't much care for the content. Since I don't have those issues, I can't do a play-by-play. I'd say that, IIRC, most issues have had some content that sounded like it was okay filler, but nothing that really caught my attension. There were a couple that I thought had nothing be drek in them (excusing things like WW, which as I said is a good constant, but not a buy/no buy maker).

There have always been lackluster issues and always will be. Hopefully, the good outweighs the mediocre. At this point, I'm not sure it does. #306 looks better. Hopefully, the fiends are more than just new monsters -- they'd be better served expanded on existing critters than just adding new ones.

Emiricol

I still like Dragon and enjoy the articles.

That said, I'm particularly peeved about the recent so-called fiction, which is apparently the wasted space that was once dedicated to Living Greyhawk, but now dedicated to fragments of books coming up that they want to sell more of. Not even real mini-stories, but like half a chapter of some book coming up. Bleh. The last few issues have had BOTH useless LG stuff AND useless novel advertorials. I love fiction, but not what's been in there lately.

/end rant

The new House Rules section is wonderful. Even if I don't use it all the time, this is the kind of stuff Dragon should have been doing a year ago.

The sections on such great ideas as the Tainted and the latest issue's Evil Nature. Before that, the Honor rules. These kinds of things are great for ideas for my campaigns.

More monsters is always cool, of course.

I'm really tired of feats - they could stop publishing 8 pages of feats as they did with the last issue. That'd be good.

I like the sections like Killing Cousins - even if it does have feats, they are great for flavor for the race and inspired some creative nastiness on my part. Buahahahaha.

You can never have too many traps.

All in all, I'd say I'd like more of the metarule stuff as mentioned in an earlier post - rules about making rules. I miss that. But otherwise I'm still generally satisfied - for now - with Dragon.

Chronosome

First Post
I love it...

...and it's not going to be perfect for any given reader 100% of the time! The "crunchy to creamy ratio" varies from issue to issue, but that's because the preference varies from gamer to gamer...

Give it time, mang. It'll come around to "perfect for you" again.
If you live in a democracy, you know what I mean. :)

Remove ads