• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does Life Cleric’s get Adv. On rolling Hit Points

Wik

First Post
No. Why should they?

A few reasons spring to mind:

1. They are dating the GM.
2. "Because, uh, I'm a cleric. of LIFE. I should get a lot of hit points"
3. "Um, the die was cocked. It's not really a 1. I'll roll again."
4. "It's only a d8. How ELSE will I be able to get more HP than the barbarian!"
5. Are you sure they're not dating the GM?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
What I think the OP meant was not advantage but use of their special abilities, like Supreme Healing. And the answer is no, as it's only for restoration of hit points, and only if that restoration is done by use of one of their spells.

Mercule

Adventurer
What [MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION] said.

Unless his assumption was incorrect. In that case, the answer is that Advantage only works with (a subset of) d20 rolls. Clerics roll d8 for hit points.

Gillywonka

First Post
They don't, but you should check with your GM. I find the various DnD gods really don't lend flavor to PC clerics. It seems to be more like, okay, i rolled up a cleric and i pick this domain. Oh and if i have to pick a god, i'll pick XYZ cause it really doesnt matter. Well, that's been my experience anyways. Hopefully it's been different for others.

Ask your GM to flesh out your god a little or do it for him and see if it's cool. Something like, well, i choose to follow Apollo and will pursue his healing aspect which translates to the Life domain. Besides what's in the PHB, i get advantage when i roll for my HP. Additionally, I must:
Choose medicine as a skill.
Donate 20% of my time working at the temple caring for the sick.
Donate 10% of any treasure to the temple.
Must investigate causes of plague and heal those who ask.
Persecute murderers
Thwart those who cause violence.
Slay the undead for they are an abomination

Something like that. That's what i do for the campaign i'm running anyways. The gods have a domain, maybe a couple, along with other criteria. (i tried to do something like a Cults of Prax)

Remove ads