D&D 5E Does Rope Trick Heal?

Does Rope Trick Heal?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 90.0%

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
In a party that's heavy on Warlocks, Monks and other short-rest-recharge builds it's probably not unusual to see the spell deployed in order to recharge their abilities even if nobody is particularly injured.

Yes. That's why I mentioned it is placed in two categories, healing, and short-rest-abilities recharge.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It doesn't do that though. It doesn't serve the purpose of making it safe for an hour...it just ended a prior encounter and does nothing about encounters during that following hour.

In the example I gave the location is already safe other than the encounter you are in. So please stick to the example I provided. If the location is already safe other than the encounter you are in and you use fireball to end the encounter and then rest then did fireball heal?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
In the example I gave the location is already safe other than the encounter you are in. So please stick to the example I provided. If the location is already safe other than the encounter you are in and you use fireball to end the encounter and then rest then did fireball heal?

Don't be disingenuous. That's neither the situation you presented, nor is Mistwell deviating from the question asked.
You presented a Fireball ending an encounter and making it safe to rest.

Mistwell, correctly, points out that it's not the same situation as Rope Trick because it does nothing to maintain that safety.

FrogReaver

Don't be disingenuous. That's neither the situation you presented, nor is Mistwell deviating from the question asked.
You presented a Fireball ending an encounter and making it safe to rest.

Mistwell, correctly, points out that it's not the same situation as Rope Trick because it does nothing to maintain that safety.

It doesn't have to do anything to maintain safety if the location is already safe to rest besides the encounter it just ended.

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

It is nit-picky, for certain, but RAW IMO. Personally, I would not be this crazy about not allowing the spell to provide space for a secure Short Rest, but for people who don't want that functionality, here you go...

Since the rule for a Short Rest is "at least one hour", the spell wouldn't allow enough time by itself. After all, each character would have to take time to climb the rope, so with that time spent, they would not have an hour inside the space provided by the spell. Since a character can't do anything "more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds", after the spell is about to expire and everyone climbs back down, that would be "more strenuous", thus reseting the clock on the short rest hour.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
It doesn't have to do anything to maintain safety if the location is already safe to rest besides the encounter it just ended.
It does have to for it to be responsible for ensuring the rest.
In your situation the fireball did nothing to for the rest, the secure safe room you set up did.

FrogReaver

It does have to for it to be responsible for ensuring the rest.
In your situation the fireball did nothing to for the rest, the secure safe room you set up did.

In my example fireball was the thing that finally made the room be secure and safe.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
In my example fireball was the thing that finally made the room be secure and safe.

But it was the room's setup that made it continue to be safe.

You keep seeming to get hung up on that. It isn't enough for it to enable you to start resting, it has to active prevent your rest being interrupted too.

FrogReaver

But it was the room's setup that made it continue to be safe.

You keep seeming to get hung up on that. It isn't enough for it to enable you to start resting, it has to active prevent your rest being interrupted too.

Was the room secure and safe before the fireball was cast?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Was the room secure and safe before the fireball was cast?

You should know, it's your extremely white room setup. Yes, of course it is. If the only thing stopping it for being secure for an hour (something you've already confirmed) is that some monsters had to be killed, then the room is secure and safe before the fireball was cast.

Of course this is an impossible situation, because if the room is that secure, you shouldn't of been able to get into it while there were monsters inside, since they'd of been that secure.

Remove ads