D&D 5E Does spiritual weapon negate invisibility?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Yes, certainly in 5e.

Invisibility reads:

The spell ends for a target that attacks or casts a spell.

Spiritual Weapon Reads:

When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon...
As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it.

So per the spell (spiritual weapon) the caster is attacking with it (as opposed to the weapon itself attacking or even the caster ordering it to attack) - that would seem to clearly break invisibility.

aco175

Legend
This goes back to the thread about attacking someone surrounded by a fire shield and you taking damage. Spell says "You make a melee attack", but DMs can say that makes no sense. I would be more to say it breaks invisibility over taking damage from fire shield.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'd rule that casting it would but using it to attack wouldn't. But that's me.
I'd be the exact reverse, but I don't go by the (IMO bad) 5e idea that just casting a spell kills invis. regardless what that spell might be.

Were it me you could cast it just fine, but the moment you attacked with it bang goes your invis.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Frankly I’d make invisibility just require a concentration check to maintain if you cast a spell or attack, maybe at disadvantage - but that’s just me.

But yeah, casting the spell breaks it. If already cast, attacking with it breaks it since it is considered an attack by you.

Oofta

Legend
Invisibility states that "The spell ends for [the invisible] target that attacks" and spiritual weapon states "When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack".

I don't see how there's any gray area here. The caster is making an attack. End of story. Am I missing something? The caster is making a melee spell attack, no different than the wording for shocking grasp.

Remove ads