Does the distance you previously Jumped in a straight line count as "a running start"

frankthedm

First Post
Stormrunner said:
Non-running jump(s) as the "run-up" to a running jump? Sure, as long as the other restrictions are followed (moving in a straight line, etc.).

I would, however, rule that you lose your Dex bonus to AC while airborne. This would most likely come into play when making a very long jump (longer than your move) which has to be completed next turn. No matter what you may be used to in games like Unreal Tournament (with its "Air Control" setting), IRL you cannot significantly alter your direction of movement in mid-jump, hence you cannot dodge. A critter with wings or some other mode of flight might be able to do so - but as soon as it does so, it is effectively flying, not jumping.

I completely agree. i also treat it as being vulnerable to a "Set Vs. Charge". That’s-a good reason not to strap on your Air Marios

Jack Simth

First Post
IRL, you cannot alter your direction meaningfully mid jump, but you can alter such things as where a given portion of your mass is mid jump - this is mostly seen with stunt motorcyclists; a cyclist in mid air can do pretty much whatever motion he wants (handstand on the handlebars, lean off to one side, et cetera) as long as the cyclist returns to the same position from which heleft the ground before touching down again. It's a fun trick with conservation of ... momentum, I think. Once in the air, he has nothing to push against (other than the relatively negligible impact of the air itself) that he didn't bring with him, and so he can't change the flight path of his center of gravity - where the rest of him is relative to that center, however, can be adjusted on the fly.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
frankthedm said:
triple jump is someone keeping thier momentum once they built it. like 1 below.

Pendragon, is #2 the only one you would agree with?
If the pink arcs are the maximum distance for a running long jump, then yes, I'd only allow #2. As far as I know, one cannot triple-jump, and have each successive jump after the first equal the distance of a long jump. Yes, you're keeping momentum, but not the same momentum you had when you got your running start for the first jump.

According to multimedia.olympic.org the record for the long jump is 8.95, while the record for the triple-jump is 18.29. Since the triple-jump record is far less than three times the long jump record, (closer to twice), the facts seem to bear this assumption out. You can't triple-jump and have each jump equal the length you can get with a running-start long jump.

I'd allow something similar to #1, but the two follow-up jumps would be considered standing, not running, long jumps, with a circumstance bonus for retained momentum. They would not all be considered running long jumps. Thus, the second and third jumps would be shorter than the first.

Quasqueton

First Post
Olympic Triple-Jumper.
Wonder: is his first jump (with the running start) longer than the second and third jumps?

Maybe he has a special feat? Would make sense for an Olympic athelete.

Edit: I don't know how I didn't see Lord Pendragon's post before I posted.

Quasqueton

Ferrum

First Post
Jack Simth said:
IRL, you cannot alter your direction meaningfully mid jump, but you can alter such things as where a given portion of your mass is mid jump - this is mostly seen with stunt motorcyclists; a cyclist in mid air can do pretty much whatever motion he wants (handstand on the handlebars, lean off to one side, et cetera) as long as the cyclist returns to the same position from which heleft the ground before touching down again. It's a fun trick with conservation of ... momentum, I think. Once in the air, he has nothing to push against (other than the relatively negligible impact of the air itself) that he didn't bring with him, and so he can't change the flight path of his center of gravity - where the rest of him is relative to that center, however, can be adjusted on the fly.

Actually, the motorcyclist does have something to push against, the motorcycle. A person with a mass of 150lbs has a very sturdy surface with which to negotiate its change in position and movement when using the several hundred pound vehicle. A person in mid-air without a greater mass to push off of has much less mobility. The cyclist also has the benefit of the dirtbike's wheel's centripetal force creating a more stable platform.

IRL a person moving through the air is only going to be able to move exremities beyond his center of gravity. Generally speaking, his midsection is going to maintain its trajectory, though his arms and legs may be tucked in, splayed out, or moved in different directions. This is similar to the lesser portion of mass (the motorcyclist) moving in relation to the whole mass's center of gravity (which is likely the dirtbike's engine).

In a D&D setting I could imagine a player in the air with something like a maul or great axe might be able to offset thier center of gravity to a small degree using the momentum of a heavy weapon, or perhaps a player with a spiked chain spinning at a high rate of speed could make use of its centripetal force to change position mid-flight.

I am quite interested in this topic, as one of my players is one of those 'monk is the only class to play' types. I have been wondering what I can do to give his character a bit of the limelight in what is turning into a very druid-o-centric campaign.

I don't treat jumping characters as denied Dex, but do treat them as charging in the odd case of a set-for-charge.

Perhaps triple-jumps and other modifications of the simple jump mechanics are outside the bounds of the PHB. Given what Pendragon learned, should the second and third jump DC's be increased by X1.5 to reflect the loss of momentum?
[Yes, I know this is treading into the wrong forum :)]

Also, perhaps rules for shifting the line of the jump 5' left or right while mid-air..balance check DC 25?
and, while we are at it.. how about multiple jumps that shift directions?
{We already have precedence with the high jump being able to gain a bonus when jumping off a wall...}

I would really like to be able to put a movement challenge of this sort before the group and see how delighted my monk player gets when he is the only one with a chance.

iwatt

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
I am quite interested in this topic, as one of my players is one of those 'monk is the only class to play' types. I have been wondering what I can do to give his character a bit of the limelight in what is turning into a very druid-o-centric campaign.

I don't treat jumping characters as denied Dex, but do treat them as charging in the odd case of a set-for-charge.

Perhaps triple-jumps and other modifications of the simple jump mechanics are outside the bounds of the PHB. Given what Pendragon learned, should the second and third jump DC's be increased by X1.5 to reflect the loss of momentum?
[Yes, I know this is treading into the wrong forum :)]

Also, perhaps rules for shifting the line of the jump 5' left or right while mid-air..balance check DC 25?
and, while we are at it.. how about multiple jumps that shift directions?
{We already have precedence with the high jump being able to gain a bonus when jumping off a wall...}

I would really like to be able to put a movement challenge of this sort before the group and see how delighted my monk player gets when he is the only one with a chance.

Actually I'd allow the movement from the jump itself to count as part of the 20' minimum requirment. I'd just apply a circumstance modifier to each succesive jump. Of the top of my head a -4 to each succeful jump (cumulative).

Lord Pendragon

First Post
iwatt said:
Actually I'd allow the movement from the jump itself to count as part of the 20' minimum requirment. I'd just apply a circumstance modifier to each succesive jump. Of the top of my head a -4 to each succeful jump (cumulative).
Well, this is basically doing the same thing I've been suggesting, just from the other direction (applying a penalty to the more substantial running long jump total, rather than applying a bonus to the less impressive standing long jump total.) In the end it results in the same thing: the jumps after the first covering less ground.

I'd suggest, though, if you go at it from this angle, that you apply modifiers in multiples of 5. That way you are taking away (or adding, in my case,) squares of movement at a time, not odd distances like 4, 8, 13 feet etc...

iwatt

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
Well, this is basically doing the same thing I've been suggesting, just from the other direction (applying a penalty to the more substantial running long jump total, rather than applying a bonus to the less impressive standing long jump total.) In the end it results in the same thing: the jumps after the first covering less ground.

I'd suggest, though, if you go at it from this angle, that you apply modifiers in multiples of 5. That way you are taking away (or adding, in my case,) squares of movement at a time, not odd distances like 4, 8, 13 feet etc...

You're right about the 5' increments :) . I was looking at it from the +4 to jump for 10' of speed.

OK, from your RL example 9.95 meters is almost 30 feet. Let's assume taking 10 (average jump since we won't be allowing taking 20 :] ). That gives our Olympian jumper a +20 to his jump skill. Let's assume a 14 Str and good speed .... that makes our Jumper a level 9 character with maxed out jump and skill synergies. That will allow him to jump 30 feet in a long jump.

The distance for a triple jumper (let's assume it's the same jump modifier...) is 60'.

Let's test the -5 per jump:

1st = 30
2nd = 25
3rd = 20
Total = 75' (wow)

If we try -10 per jump:

1st = 30
2nd = 20
3rd = 10
Total= 60

Wow, right on the money....

Now let's compare it to the following: Running Jump/Standing Jump/Standing Jump

1st = 30
2nd = 15
3rd = 15
Total = 60.

Also right on the money. But I like the diminishing returns of the first option.

So my brand new House rule: -10 cumulative for every jump after the first. :D

frankthedm

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:

print this map out then.

Attachments

• jumping pit.JPG
    jumping pit.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 55

Remove ads