Does the distance you previously Jumped in a straight line count as "a running start"

frankthedm

First Post
:) I was pondering all the delightful hazards a evil monk monastery could have in it and I had an curious idea.

Jumping seems to be part of movement, and you have to move 20’ in a straight line to make a running jump. So would jumps you make in one direction count as that 20’ of straight movement?

Also is getting a “running start” taking the “run action”? Meaning do you loose your Dex bonus while jumping or could you just take the movement action amount you need.

Are these examples legal?

1. move 5’, jump 10’ [dc20], move 5’, “running start” jump 20’[dc 20]
2. move 5’, jump to pole [dc 6], accelerated balance [10” wide surface dc15], jump to pole [dc 10], accelerated balance [10” wide surface dc15], jump to pole [dc 10], accelerated balance [10” wide surface dc15], “running start” jump 20’[dc 20]
3. move 5’, jump to pole [dc 24], accelerated balance [10” wide surface dc15], “running start” jump 22’[dc 22]

JUMP (STR; ARMOR CHECK PENALTY)
Check: The DC and the distance you can cover vary according to the type of jump you are attempting (see below).
Your Jump check is modified by your speed. If your speed is 30 feet then no modifier based on speed applies to the check. If your speed is less than 30 feet, you take a –6 penalty for every 10 feet of speed less than 30 feet. If your speed is greater than 30 feet, you gain a +4 bonus for every 10 feet beyond 30 feet.
All Jump DCs given here assume that you get a running start, which requires that you move at least 20 feet in a straight line before attempting the jump. If you do not get a running start, the DC for the jump is doubled.
Distance moved by jumping is counted against your normal maximum movement in a round.
If you have ranks in Jump and you succeed on a Jump check, you land on your feet (when appropriate). If you attempt a Jump check untrained, you land prone unless you beat the DC by 5 or more.
Long Jump: A long jump is a horizontal jump, made across a gap like a chasm or stream. At the midpoint of the jump, you attain a vertical height equal to one-quarter of the horizontal distance. The DC for the jump is equal to the distance jumped (in feet).
If your check succeeds, you land on your feet at the far end. If you fail the check by less than 5, you don’t clear the distance, but you can make a DC 15 Reflex save to grab the far edge of the gap. You end your movement grasping the far edge. If that leaves you dangling over a chasm or gap, getting up requires a move action and a DC 15 Climb check.

Long Jump Distance Jump DC1
5 feet 5
10 feet 10
15 feet 15
20 feet 20
25 feet 25
30 feet 30
1 Requires a 20-foot running start. Without a running start, double the DC.

Attachments

• jumping pit.JPG
    jumping pit.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Lord Pendragon

First Post
frankthedm said:
Jumping seems to be part of movement, and you have to move 20’ in a straight line to make a running jump. So would jumps you make in one direction count as that 20’ of straight movement?
I would rule no. You actually have to be moving on the ground to build up momentum and get a good leap.
Also is getting a “running start” taking the “run action”? Meaning do you loose your Dex bonus while jumping or could you just take the movement action amount you need.
I rule that you just take the movement action amount you need.
1. move 5’, jump 10’ [dc20], move 5’, “running start” jump 20’[dc 20]
2. move 5’, jump to pole [dc 6], accelerated balance [10” wide surface dc15], jump to pole [dc 10], accelerated balance [10” wide surface dc15], jump to pole [dc 10], accelerated balance [10” wide surface dc15], “running start” jump 20’[dc 20]
3. move 5’, jump to pole [dc 24], accelerated balance [10” wide surface dc15], “running start” jump 22’[dc 22]
I would rule all three illegal. You aren't getting the 20' of movement you need.

frankthedm

First Post
I kinda leaning towards alowing creatures to build a "running jump" as long as they can accelerated balance across objects no farther than thier "face" apart.

I like the idea of monks being tested to the limits of thier abilities.

Attachments

• jumping pit.JPG
    jumping pit.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 78

Lord Pendragon

First Post
frankthedm said:
I kinda leaning towards alowing creatures to build a "running jump" as long as they can accelerated balance across objects no farther than thier "face" apart.

I like the idea of monks being tested to the limits of thier abilities.
Fair enough. I find that moving the objects a bit closer and asking for a standing jump check instead works just as well, possibly with a circumstance bonus for the residual speed.
Hypersmurf said:
Tell it to Christian Olsson
I'm afraid I don't get the reference, though I'm guessing an Olympic jumper?

frankthedm

First Post
triple jump is someone keeping thier momentum once they built it. like 1 below.

Pendragon, is #2 the only one you would agree with?

Attachments

• triple jump.jpg
    triple jump.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 68

Stormrunner

Explorer
Non-running jump(s) as the "run-up" to a running jump? Sure, as long as the other restrictions are followed (moving in a straight line, etc.).

I would, however, rule that you lose your Dex bonus to AC while airborne. This would most likely come into play when making a very long jump (longer than your move) which has to be completed next turn. No matter what you may be used to in games like Unreal Tournament (with its "Air Control" setting), IRL you cannot significantly alter your direction of movement in mid-jump, hence you cannot dodge. A critter with wings or some other mode of flight might be able to do so - but as soon as it does so, it is effectively flying, not jumping.

Remove ads