• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does the Eldritch Knight suck?

Sacrosanct

Legend
The OP just created a thread a couple days ago where he/she said that "why would you ever play a tempest/war cleric when you could be playing an EK."

My suggestion is to play them yourself and come up with your own experiences and opinions. Seems like you're fishing for arguments with these threads. Especially when looking at your posts from the other thread ("You're just butthurt", "This is a worthless post", etc, etc).

krakistophales

First Post
IMO it's a pretty crap addition to a very solid chassis. The Fighter is a solid character class, it can survive having a bad subclass added to it and still be fine.

Comparing it to the Bladesinger, it is bad. The Bladesinger gives us a fully functioning wizard with some solid and viable melee options. The EK gives us a fully functional fighter, with comparatively rather lame magical options. With the Bladesinger I feel that I have everything I want in a magic-leaning Gish, with the EK I don't feel that I am a complete melee-leaning Gish. That being said, I don't think it is healthy to compare things to the Bladesinger, it is a very sweet class.

Personally I would take any other Gish option over the EK, but it does fit the bill if you wanted a guy in platemail, which the others cannot do easily.

If you want a guy who is a badass plate wearer who uses magic to do extra damage or defense, then a Paladin seems a lot better at it. Looking at the EKs spells vs the Paladin, I am not sure that the EK is getting a good deal with his extra abilities balancing out that spell casting and smiting.

Other than a bladesinger, doesn't every single other gish get access to heavy armor, like paladin, war domain and tempest domain cleric?

I guess, then, any disappointment from EK might come from the fact that people would expect something close to a 50/50 fighter/wizard?

Last edited:

krakistophales

First Post
The OP just created a thread a couple days ago where he/she said that "why would you ever play a tempest/war cleric when you could be playing an EK."

My suggestion is to play them yourself and come up with your own experiences and opinions. Seems like you're fishing for arguments with these threads. Especially when looking at your posts from the other thread ("You're just butthurt", "This is a worthless post", etc, etc).

Got salt?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Got salt?

No, but I think you're making all sorts of loaded questions without actually playing the classes. Just a couple days ago you were lauding the EK as a class so awesome that why would anyone ever play a war or tempest cleric. Now you're saying the class may be disappointing or sucks. I doubt between that post and this post, you've actually played the EK in any significant capacity. Instead you throw personal insults at anyone who disagreed with you. I'm not going to say you're trolling, but let's just say my red flags have been raised.

OB1

Jedi Master
Played a half Orc EK to level 15 in tyranny of dragons and loved every minute. Shield is just amazing for a front line fighter with plate to have. And fireball makes you the only fighter at higher levels who can deal with a hoard of Low CR enemies on your own. Plus you can fly.

DeathMutant

First Post
Spell slots can be used for utility (e.g. Find Familiar) or for combat boosts (Shield, Haste, etc.)

People seem to forget (ignore?) the fact that Eldritch Knights are, mostly, limited to spells from the Abjuration and Evocation schools. The exceptions are at 1st, 8th, 14th and 20th level.

FarBeyondC

Explorer
People seem to forget (ignore?) the fact that Eldritch Knights are, mostly, limited to spells from the Abjuration and Evocation schools. The exceptions are at 1st, 8th, 14th and 20th level.

Even limited to those two schools, there's still plenty of utility to be had. Not as much as could be had from a less limited spell list, but then, there are ways to address that if you feel the need.

Zardnaar

Legend
Its more or less the best fighter- at the highest levels (15+). Problem is gishs kind of suck in 5E due to things like the concentration mechanic and opportunity cost of taking warcaster to more or less function over something like SS/GWM. Gish meaning arcane types using spells and blade, the Paladin rocks. The fighters compared with each other peak at different times in their careers. The Battlemaster is the best out of the gate and ends up 2nd best at the highest levels. The EK is the weakest out of the gate while the champion is somewhere in the middle and ends up the weakest.

I suspect thigns change without feats in the equation as I feel the classes are probably better balanced against each other.

krakistophales

First Post
No, but I think you're making all sorts of loaded questions without actually playing the classes. Just a couple days ago you were lauding the EK as a class so awesome that why would anyone ever play a war or tempest cleric. Now you're saying the class may be disappointing or sucks. I doubt between that post and this post, you've actually played the EK in any significant capacity. Instead you throw personal insults at anyone who disagreed with you. I'm not going to say you're trolling, but let's just say my red flags have been raised.

Not that I owe you an explanation, but in that cleric thread I was ASKING, not lauding, why people wouldn't play an EK instead of tempest/war domain cleric and IF IT WASN'T better than those options.

No, I'm not trolling, I'm looking for perspective. The actually helpful comments of that cleric thread have opened my eyes to trying out the cleric, and I'm so far having a blast with the potential of a light domain cleric with medium armor and shield. No thanks to you, of course, since you're too busy worrying about what I say, how I say it, if I ask questions the right way, and overall just being miserable rather than engaging in some discussion.

bid

First Post
EK is versatile. Since there are no mental stat requirement, you can MC with any caster class.

Of course, you could make a double-sucky with cleric 8 / EK 12.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads