• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does the RPGA send Bribes?

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
As an active Non-Member of the RPGA I have been wondering if they are trying to get me to join their ranks again.

I recently received a mailing from them. They mailed me a really nice battle mat, one of the 18x24 versions, or thereabouts.

I am curious as to why. A former room-mate of mine received one as well.

Neither of us can figure out why. We received them in the mail about 2 weeks ago. We are neither one members of the RPGA. (The RPGA log os emblazened on the Battlemats). Neither of us ordered them, in fact I dont even use battlemats. We were both at GenCon together in 2001 but none of the other people who participated in the events we did, with us received anything.

Anybody got a clue on this?

And before it is asked, he has a sub to Dun/Poly while I have never had one.

Personally, I have never had anything but trouble with the RPGA so I have no idea why I would receive anything like this.

Oh and I dont want to turn this into a 101 Reasons the RPGA sucks or anything like that, I was just curious if anyone else received a similar mailing.

heirodule

First Post
If you wer ever a *paid* member you were supposed to get one, particulalry if you renewed your membership last year prior to their going to free memebrship.

The mat was a way of (over)compensating you for paying for a membership which is now free.

But if you never paid, its just a mistake, or an attempt to generate goodwill by not being too carful about who gets one.

They need some goodwill.

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
I did pay once, like two or three years ago. When I never received ANYTHING I attempted for several months to get it ironed out to no avail.

The thing is though, the address that they sent the mat to was one with which I had never used any correspondance with them before!

Strange.

Paladin

Explorer
I've been a member for a couple of years, they attempted to send me my mat - but I got an empty tube. I've sent them numerous e-mails that they refuse to respond to in an attempt to actually get my mat. So, if anyone from the RPGA reads this, please maintain your usual level of customer service and DO NOT respond. I'm not bitter. :mad:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Obviously, Katerek, you need to wrap that mat back up in its tube and send it to Paladin, at once...

Glad to help! :D

(No idea, really. I suppose they may have somehow updated your address from a convention or something?)

RodneyThompson

First Post
How irritating.

I was a paid member of the RPGA for 2 years, only got about half of the issues of Polyhedron I deserved, and since then have not heard anything of a battlemat.

Grr!

Adso

First Post
Paladin said:
I've been a member for a couple of years, they attempted to send me my mat - but I got an empty tube. I've sent them numerous e-mails that they refuse to respond to in an attempt to actually get my mat. So, if anyone from the RPGA reads this, please maintain your usual level of customer service and DO NOT respond. I'm not bitter. :mad:

Ouch! But sorry, I am going to have to respond to this. ;) :::deactivate lurker mode:::

The RPGA recently moved to a free membership. And when we did, we sent special-made RPGA Chessex Battlemat to all members who had a valid, paid membership on July 1, 2002 as a thanks for their support of our roleplaying organized play program.

If you received a Battlemat, it was because we had your information in our system and your membership was valid on that date. If you received one and you didn't think you have a valid membership, my guess is that either you did or we sent you a Battlemat by mistake--but it was a happy mistake, so please enjoy your Battlemat!

If you have any problems with your Battlemat (like, say, you received a tub without one) contact Wizards of the Coast Customer Service at either question@wizards.com, or at 1-800-324-6496. They are handling Battlemat issues.

Because membership is now free, anyone who was once a member of the RPGA in now always a member of the RPGA. If you are not a member, you can get a membership card and number at any event that offers RPGA adventures. We have some exciting stuff out there now and more planned for the near future, so if you hesitated before, you might want to check it out.

On another RPGA topic that I know will come up (and has come up in the past), there has been problems getting issues of Polyhedron to members in the UK and parts Europe. For those issues, please call 0345-12-55-99 or +44-16-28-780-530 (from Ireland/other Countries) or send email to uk@wizards.com. They are the best people to help you with those issues.

Hope this info dump helps those of you with questions.

Stephen Radney-MacFarland
RPGA Content Developer
Wizards of the Coast

Paladin

Explorer
Adso said:

Ouch! But sorry, I am going to have to respond to this. ;) :::deactivate lurker mode:::

If you have any problems with your Battlemat (like, say, you received a tub without one) contact Wizards of the Coast Customer Service at either question@wizards.com, or at 1-800-324-6496. They are handling Battlemat issues.

Stephen Radney-MacFarland
RPGA Content Developer
Wizards of the Coast
Sorry to be blunt, but I've sent at least 5 e-mails (which I had read receipts on) that were allegedly read - and I got no response. I'll try your address and see what happens.
On another note, I've contacted you personally about playtesting and also (not trying to flame here) have not gotten a response. SO, now that I have your proverbial ear - when will my group be receiving more playtest materials??? Click on the blue e-mail button below if you'd like to talk offline. :)

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
Paladin

If you dont get your Battlemat by Christmas let me know and I will send you mine. I dont use them. I have a Marker Board table.

Adso

Is there anyway to be taken OFF of the RPGA mailing list? Nothing Personal, but I truly detest the RPGA as I have had nothing but horrible experiences with them. I do not wish to receive any further unsolicited mailings. I let my one time membership from 1996 (I looked it up) lapse for a particular reason. Thanks.

Last edited:

Remove ads