• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Domain Granted Powers

Deadguy

First Post
This is a slightly odd question that's cropped up in preparation for a new campaign. It related to the effects of a Domain Granted Power. Let's imagine I am a Cleric 1 / Bard 1 / Druid 1 (why is another question!). As a Cleric I have the Healing Domain, so I cast healing spells at +1 caster level. Thus my cure light wounds spell I cast as a Cleric heals 1d8 + 2 damage.

But what about my Druid cure light wounds spell? And if I also have cure light wounds as a Bard too? I find it hard to decide logically. It would be easiest to argue it affects only Cleric spells. But the granted power doesn't limit itself that way. And it can be argued that the character is blessed by his deity to make him a better (magical) healer, irrespective of source.

So, any thoughts folks?

TracerBullet42

First Post
Hmm...that is a good question...

SRD said:
HEALING DOMAIN
Granted Power: You cast healing spells at +1 caster level.
Cure Light Wounds
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Drd 1, Healing 1, Pal 1, Rgr 2

On first thought, I would have agreed that it only affects the cleric spells. However, looking at the rules...that spell is a "healing spell", no matter which class you cast it from. So I would rule that they are all at +1 caster level.

Interesting question, though...

Pax

Banned
Banned
It affects any healing spells you cast.

The Illusion domain (FRCS hardcover), gives +1 caster level with Illusion spells. So did the pre-PGFR "Gnome" domain.

A Gnome Illusionist(3)/Cleric(3)/Theurge(10) could, thus, get ahead quite nicely - with a +2 net boost to his Illusion spells, be they wizardly or clerical in origin.

Starglim

Explorer
The term "healing" in the domain power description could fit a number of game descriptors: a spell cast as a Healing domain spell, a spell that appears on the Healing domain spell list, a spell of the Conjuration (healing) subschool. The first option does not seem to be right, since the domain power works on healing spells that are cast as standard cleric spells. All of the other interpretations would apply equally to a cleric, druid or bard version of cure light wounds.

Other domain powers state explicitly when they only apply to the cleric class:

Add Knowledge (nature) to your list of cleric class skills.

My emphasis. If the domain power only increased your cleric caster level then it would say so.

Deadguy

First Post
Thanks to everyone who thought this though for me! :)

Yes, I agree that allowing the caster level boosts to apply to whatever spells meet the criteria is the simplest and most straightforward way of handling it.

Khristos

First Post
Deadguy said:
Thanks to everyone who thought this though for me! :)

Yes, I agree that allowing the caster level boosts to apply to whatever spells meet the criteria is the simplest and most straightforward way of handling it.

Healing isnt the only example of a domain that grants a nice synergy bonus with other classes.

Remove ads