• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Domain spells, arcane spells?

Hey

This question is really regarding 3.5 but I think it would be the same for pathfinder.

Now as you know quite a few Prestige Classes requires "able to cast x level arcane/divine spells. The question is what qualifies as an arcane spell?

Domains: Some domains grant spells which are from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list. AFAIK they are cast as divine spells are, but do they count as Arcane for purposes of PrC requirements?

Volaran

First Post
No. If they are cast by a divine caster as part of a domain (eg. fireball), then they are divine spells.

Similarly, a bard casting a cure x wounds spell is casting an arcane spell, and a sorcerer with a normally divine spell granted due to their bloodline (eg. entangle) is casting an arcane spell.

No. If they are cast by a divine caster as part of a domain (eg. fireball), then they are divine spells.

Similarly, a bard casting a cure x wounds spell is casting an arcane spell, and a sorcerer with a normally divine spell granted due to their bloodline (eg. entangle) is casting an arcane spell.

Ah, this is as I suspected, just needed to confirm it. I thought I might have found a loophole to take a PrC that really doesen't benefit much from having two different types of spellcasting.

No Geomancer for me then ;)

frankthedm

First Post
3.5 said:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/magicOverview.htm
Spells come in two types: arcane (cast by bards, sorcerers, and wizards) and divine (cast by clerics, druids, and experienced paladins and rangers).

Divine Spells :: d20srd.org
Divine Spells
Clerics, druids, experienced paladins, and experienced rangers can cast divine spells. Unlike arcane spells, divine spells draw power from a divine source. Clerics gain spell power from deities or from divine forces. The divine force of nature powers druid and ranger spells. The divine forces of law and good power paladin spells. Divine spells tend to focus on healing and protection and are less flashy, destructive, and disruptive than arcane spells.
This enough?

TanisFrey

First Post
It is based on what class you are. Cleric/Druid/Paladin/Ranger are divine. Bard/Sorcerer/Wizard are Arcane. If you multiclass as a wizard/cleric then it is what class you were allowed to memorize it to that determines if it is arcane or divine.

I have seen only one exception to this for one PRC in the 3.5 Races of the Dragon. The PRC is Singer of Concordance and it allows True Dragons who can add Cleric spells to their sorcerer spell list to enter the class.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads