• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Domination and Opportunity Attacks

Blizzardb

First Post
If a dominated creature is forced to move, or make a ranged attack, does it provoke Opportunity attacks from its enemies? How about provoking Opportunity Attacks from its allies?

Dalzig

First Post
I think the RAW answer is that being Dominated doesn't change who your allies and enemies are. So enemies would still be enemies, allies would still be allies. Therefore, enemies could indeed take opportunity attacks on movement caused by Domination (hehe).

I personally think that's a bit of balogna and rule my games accordingly.

Blizzardb

First Post
Dalzig, I am curious how exactly do you rule your games? No OA while dominated, or something else?

Tale, as far as I know, the Forced Movement text in the Player's Handbook applies only for push, pull, and slide. Otherwise some strange conclusions would be made - like ignoring difficult terrain while dominated.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Forced movemnt, in general, does not provoke. I don't see dominated being an exception.

As Blizzardb notes, 'forced movement' is a defined term. When you're dominated, you aren't being subjected to forced movement; rather, you're being compelled to take the Walk action (for example), which provokes an OA.

-Hyp.

Dalzig

First Post
Dalzig, I am curious how exactly do you rule your games? No OA while dominated, or something else?

Tale, as far as I know, the Forced Movement text in the Player's Handbook applies only for push, pull, and slide. Otherwise some strange conclusions would be made - like ignoring difficult terrain while dominated.

I rule in favor of the player. No OAs while dominated. You still get saving throws for hazardous terrain. Etc.

It mostly boils down to not being a complete jerk to your players. For example, you get a saving throw if you are going to be forced into Hindering/Hazardous terrain, right? You can read domination as not allowing that save. Suddenly, being dominated turns into a game of "Stay at least 9 squares away from that cliff so you don't suddenly have the urge to throw yourself off it!"

That's not the type of game I'm looking to run.

Rechan

Adventurer
It mostly boils down to not being a complete jerk to your players.
Except when your players are doing the dominating.

There's a fifth level Bard daily that grants domination for a round.

Then there's stuff like "Cause Fear", which the intention is to cause OAs.

Blizzardb

First Post
In case anyone cares, here is the answer from Customer Service:

Thank you for writing.

A dominated creature would still provoke Opportunity Attacks from it's enemies. It would not provoke them from allies.

Good Gaming!

Personally, I think that forcing a dominated creature to provoke OA from all enemies in the vicinity is way too nasty.

Mirtek

Hero
How about making OAs? If I have dominated an enemy, can I "forbid" him from making an OA if he could make one against one of my friends?

Remove ads