• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Donate Gaming Supplies to the Troops!

physicscarp

Explorer
whydirt said:
Another question:

What's the most economical way to ship a bunch of heavy RPG books and used board games: the US postal service, UPS, FedEx?

Ship it by USPS Media Mail. I ttakes a little longer, but it is designed to defray costs on shipping large amounts of printed material.

TheGM

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
BTW: Lone Star Comics chain in the Dallas/Fort Worth area does something similar.

I'm in.

The Gnome Games chain here in Green Bay does the same - a percentage of every dollar spent can be donated to the "troop fund". Every month or two they put together "care packages" and ship it out to the troops. I do not know, but I strongly suspect that the value of goods shipped is greater than the amount of money they're taking in.

RisnDevil

First Post
As a note:

The OP has probably left Iraq by now. Tours in Iraq are, at most, 18 months unless voluntarily extended. (I know, I just recently left.) That having been said, there are great sites like Adopt-a-Soldier that you can go to to use to find soldiers who want aid. It is a really great organization. Though heh, if I go back to Iraq, I will be sure to let the boards know! lol

dinsdale

Stalked by a giant hedgehog
whydirt said:
Another question:

What's the most economical way to ship a bunch of heavy RPG books and used board games: the US postal service, UPS, FedEx?
Since military mail is considered domestic, one option is USPS priority mail envelopes ($4.05) and boxes ($8.10). Basically as long as it fits in the envelope/box, it doesn't matter how much it weighs.
http://www.usps.com/shipping/flatrate.htm

Other than that, media mail is probably the best bet. ("Discovered" all of this while sending other packages to the troops. Evidently, the priority mail envelopes are popular with soldiers who are getting care packages of batteries).

dinsdale

Stalked by a giant hedgehog
RisnDevil said:
As a note:

The OP has probably left Iraq by now. Tours in Iraq are, at most, 18 months unless voluntarily extended. (I know, I just recently left.) That having been said, there are great sites like Adopt-a-Soldier that you can go to to use to find soldiers who want aid. It is a really great organization. Though heh, if I go back to Iraq, I will be sure to let the boards know! lol
Thanks for catching that... I thought I remembered this thread but when I checked the OP date, I didn't look past the month/day (oops)

I also wanted to second the note on the great websites for getting in touch with troops who need/want something. They are especially useful as the military now requires packages to have the recipient specified. (In previous wars/deployments, you could send a package to "any soldier" and it would be distributed). The website I've used is http://www.anysoldier.com/

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads