• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Don't hate me...my 4th Edition Psion ver1.0

Some form of "implement" bonus is essential to the class. Without it, attack rolls lag. Every class needs them. Look at a few of the monk homebrews to see what other people are doing.

Paultimatum

First Post
I also agree that the psion needs some kind of implement, every class needs to be able to have some sort of magic item to increase their attack bonuses or they will fall behind, especially at higher levels. I like the orb feat though, it would be good if that could stay. Maybe if you would rather not use crowns or crystals, or think that psionics would rely only on themselves, there could be a ritual psionics know that allow them to absorb the power of a magic item? In stead of the magic being converted to residuum the magic could go into their head, dissenchanting the item. Might be a bit strange, but could be a cool class feature (they would obviously only be able to do this to one weapon at a time) and could help to give them power. Personally I think their class features are a bit unbalenced, except for the mind link, which I like as it is (neat idea to have a striker like mark only instead of extra damage it does other things). The psicristals, which seem to me to be overpowered (several paragon paths have an ability to spend an action point to gain an encounter power use, and this is even starting at lvl 11). The wilder's surge is an good concept, but might also be overpowered, with all the effects on a crit (feats, magic items when using orbs or other weapons, etc.). The other features seem underpowered compared to some other classes. I also thing the split path feats could use a boost in power, maybe to once an encounter. Another thought; should the psionics have an at will that serves as a ranged basic attack? Anyway, looks like a not bad start for a class, but needs some changes (some of them just grammar/terminology).

OU812

First Post
Implement Question

Ok. Looks like so far it is unanimous to add a Psion Implement or two.

What do you guys suggest as best (Choose multiple answers if you want):

1. Add more Implement Feats.
2. Add 1 base implement for all psions.
3. Add 2 base implements for all psions.
4. Add Psicrowns (My personal favorite I think)
5. Add Dorjes (A silly concept in my opinion)
6. Add Powerstones...Hmmmm-A one shot Power booster?
7. Add crystal weapons as implements (Such as in Eberron and/or Glassteel weapons?
8. Other (?)

Let me know.
:)

Implement feats alone would just be a feat tax on the class. Every other class gets the ability to augment their attacks with a magic item for free. If you charged a feat for it, it would be like just taking away a feat. Every character will need them. Give it to them. The number is all fluff. Combining it with a weapon is something that needs to be thought about. Are they really a melee class? Besides the warlock, all the classes that use weapons as implements are at least passable meleers.

OU812

First Post
Once per day.

I'll post an update with corrections once I get enough feed back...

Any new opinions?

Last edited:

Mason

First Post
Thanks OU812 for the great write up for a 4th ed. Psion rules.

Looking at what Wizards has coming out in 2009, unless PH2 surprises us, I doubt we'll see anything for Psions.

I've been running 3 year old Eberron campaign, which I switched over to 4th last year. It has been pretty easy to let the players remake their character as 4th, and I as the DM give a few extra powers to each translating 3.5 into 4th to keep continually. Only one player had trouble, the Half-elf Lyrandar psion sailor. We use the wizard as the base, but we sorta guess how what powers would translate. I guess we both were lazy really did want to write everything down as you did. Man this is great, I like what you did. We'll be using this weekend.
As inkpenavenger posted, crystal implements really fit. Crowns, Rods, Orbs, wands, staffs, stones, weapons would work. Tying an implement extra bonus to a specific psion power type might work. I don't mind the implements that are used by other classes needing a feat, but some just for the psion should be a part of the class.
As ranig posted, you might follow the same color coding for powers that the 4th books. As for roles, I like the concept your sorta general till paragon then that defines a 4th role, which opens into powers for each type of psion.

As Paultimatum posted, there are some good points. I play with what you have, and see what my players think.
Any way I look forward to future posts. THANKS

OU812

First Post
Thank You!

Please, I have not had a chance to play-test anyting yet, so please let me know what happens! It was a lot of work, but in the end, it was worth it! Pass on to others that it is here too. I'd like to see more views as I develop it.

I will also try and put up a 2.0 Version sometime soon.

Thanks for the awsome comments!

=)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads