Don't laugh..... it's here.

Jon Potter

First Post
Okay. I need a refresher here. Is Finrod an NPC? If not, is his player looking to start a new character? If the answer to either of those is "No" then I have to take exception to Gronar's behavior here. Granted, it's clearly in-character, but I think it's a case where in-character should have been sacrificed for the sake of the game.

I don't know the whole story here (obviously) but I always think it's unfair for one player to make a character that makes another player's character untenable. Of course, I guess that Finrod's player could be at fault here, playing an elf when everybody else is playing a monster.

And I also have the niggling suspicion that Finrod is an NPC - in which case he deserves what he gets. :p

Jon Potter said:
Okay. I need a refresher here. Is Finrod an NPC? If not, is his player looking to start a new character? If the answer to either of those is "No" then I have to take exception to Gronar's behavior here. Granted, it's clearly in-character, but I think it's a case where in-character should have been sacrificed for the sake of the game.

I don't know the whole story here (obviously) but I always think it's unfair for one player to make a character that makes another player's character untenable. Of course, I guess that Finrod's player could be at fault here, playing an elf when everybody else is playing a monster.

And I also have the niggling suspicion that Finrod is an NPC - in which case he deserves what he gets. :p

Finrod is a PC.

and here's a little OOC backstory:

The players knew they were getting another party member. I think Finrod's character used a little OOC knowledge and assumed it was the body the bear was dragging. He tunnel visioned into believing the party had to "save" the prisoner in order to gain the new party member. I of course stayed mum about the whole thing. Gronar, Korg, and Paquito's players didn't want to get into a losing fight. Sure they had the trolls outnumbered, but Korg was completely tapped. I think they knew they might be able to hold off the 2 trolls and the bear, but the shaman gave them pause. And when Finrod kept pressing the issue Gronar tripped him and ran, hoping to save his own skin.

The table gasped and defeat washed across Finrod and Paquito's face, but instead of chucking their characters...... you'll have to wait for the next update to find out.

hwoolsey

First Post
Hairy Minotaur said:
Gronar, Korg, and Paquito's players didn't want to get into a losing fight. Sure they had the trolls outnumbered, but Korg was completely tapped. I think they knew they might be able to hold off the 2 trolls and the bear, but the shaman gave them pause. And when Finrod kept pressing the issue Gronar tripped him and ran, hoping to save his own skin.

Korg was completely tapped, Gronar was down more than half his HPs, and Finrod shot one of the trolls (I know that didn't get into the SH, but I'm willing to grant Hairy some poetic license) when they appeared to be passing us by without noticing us after everyone woke up to watch them.

I admit my behavior was not what I would usually expect of myself, but I really didn't want to see most of the party get killed because one player wanted to start a new character. I figured if he got caught he could get his new character into play without killing off the rest of us, and did something that I normally wouldn't.

I'll admit this looks like justification after the point—all I can do is point out my behavior as Heinrich in Pogre's story hour as evidence that I usually put the party first. And, in fact, felt I was doing that in this case as well. It just usually doesn't require betraying one member of the party to save the rest.

Hank

spacehulkster said:
ah yes, thier (the giants) true colors were finally revealed.

we're gaining a new PC???

I forgot, he did provoke them! Bad DM :eek:

This may have been when all of my e-mails to you Spacehulkster were bouncing. I know Finrod's and Gronar's players knew about the new little helper (which everyone will meet just prior to the succubus encounter) and then now of course there's Nameroc's new PC as well, so there's actually 2 new PCs coming.

Jon Potter

First Post
Well, having all of the facts does soften my opinion of Gronar's actions. The fact that Nimrod was provoking and unecessary combat when the rest of the party's resources were depleted (metagame thinking aside) makes it all see much more reasonable.

I hope no one's upset my my comments. This was the first post where instead of laughing outloud I found myself thinking, "That's not cool."

Then again, it's easy to second guess someone out-of-game. I'll try to make sure I get all the facts first next time. :)

hwoolsey

First Post
I have no problem at all with your comments - had I seen my actions and not known the back story I'd have thought I was a real a$$h0!e too. ;)

Seriously - no problem at all on my part.

Hank

Nothing shall grow here, ever again. I mean it.

Paquito tossed in his sleep, his favorite dream filled his senses. His harem looked good he thought, his mind had tried to fill in every race he had ever met or heard of and the room was bursting with bodies. Shouts and screams of retreat sounded outside his castle's window and he went to go tell them to "shut up". Paquito peered out below at the sight of Gronar yelling "Gronar save Gronar and Korg" it seemed odd, but hey, at least he was running away from his harem and not towards it.

All was right in the world, a warm breeze wafted the smell of troll sweat and elf fear into his nostrils and he recoiled and the stench.

"Who let the nasty troll concubine in here again?" Paquito thought aloud.

His dream world shattered however at the sound of a fallen body next to him. Paquito open his eyes and saw Finrod hit the ground and his ears picked up the sound of snarling jaws running at him from the other side of the fire. Paquito propelled himself off of the grass floor and began racing after the two fleeing giants.

"Paquito! Help!" Finrod shouted

Paquito had just broke into a sprint when the sound carried to his ears, he slowed and twisted to see who was yelling, when his right hoof rolled on a small stone and Paquito fell to his hands and knees.

Finrod saw Paquito trip and hoped he would come back for him, the two trolls bounded around the fire and leaped into the air. Finrod knew there would be no outrunning of these trolls and braced himself for impact.

Finrod closed his eyes, and felt the feet of the first troll collide with his shield, then a clawed hand ripped the shield from his arm, breaking the strap in the process. Two more claws rained down on his face, as deep gouges were cut into his cheeks and collarbone. Finrod swung his longsword in a air arc hoping to get one of the trolls to back away.

The left troll spun safely away from Finrod's swing, while the other troll clamped it's jaws into the unprotected shield arm of Finrod. Pain shot through the elf's shoulder as he tried to roll over to dislodge the troll's teeth. His maneuver tore a large chunk of flesh from his left forearm, but the arm was free.

Paquito pushed himself back to a standing position and immediately crumpled back to the ground. A horrible pain shot through his right hoof and he couldn't bear to put any weight on it. Grabbing the ankle, Paquito pulled the hoof in for a closer look.

"Great, I've got a rock in my hoof. How am I going to escape now?" Paquito muttered

"Paquito! Where are you?!" Finrod shouted back.

"I'm injured! You have some healing for me? No?" Paquito answered

"What's wrong? Can't you blast them from there?"

Finrod beat away a lashing claw and kicked the shin of a troll.

"I am in pain. Does this concept seem alien to you? I am in dire straits here. No?"

Finrod swung for the foot of the next troll, but it jumped up and landed on the blade, forcing the sword from the elf's hand. Defenseless and bleeding, Finrod reached into a belt pouch and pulled out a smooth stone.

"Close your eyes Paquito!"

"Why?"

Finrod fell back and launched the stone at the left troll, the troll swatted it away like a bug, and the stone landed between both trolls. A brilliant light shot forth from the stone, blinding both trolls.

Paquito watched the white light fill his vision and then all went dark. "Stupid elf" Paquito thought

Finrod backed away from the wildly swinging trolls, and stood up, he dodged the blinded blows from the trolls and reached in to retrieve his longsword from the ground and began to chop away at the troll's arms.

Paquito decided sitting there blinded in the grass, holding his hoof wasn't the safest option, but he wasn't going to let Finrod know any different.

"The trolls are blinded. No?"

"Yes isn't is obvious!"

"No, from your flailing about I figured you had expelled some sort of noxious gas and they were retching. No?"

"Are you going to help or just sit there?"

Paquito paid close attention to where Finrod's voice was coming from and aimed a scorching ray just to the left of his voice. The stream of fire slammed into the earth next to Finrod and the grass briefly caught fire, the heat caused the troll in front of the blast to dive back onto his rear and roll on the ground trying to put out a fire that wasn't there.

"What was that?"

"What did it not work?"

"You almost got me."

"Well move out of the way. No?"

"Aim higher you moron."

Paquito steadied himself again and aimed a little higher this time. The bolt of fire arched it's way over the prone troll and landed behind it. The troll screamed in imaginary pain, which caused the other troll to pause in it's search for the elf. This allowed Finrod to carve a gorge across the troll's back, black blood erupted from the troll and spilled across the ground.

Paquito's eyesight began to clear up and he could see the downed troll and the bleeding one. He staggered to his feet and limped up to get a closer shot. He aimed for the standing troll but undershot the ray and it burned the space between the two trolls.

"Quit toying with them and just blast them already!"

"I have a scorched earth policy for these things, please allow me to do me job. No?"

"What are you talking about?"

"After scorching the earth, I will place salt upon the land so that nothing may grow here. No?"

"That's insane! They're cannibals, they could give two squats about brown spots in the grass!"

"Maybe but the fauna might get spooked enough to flee this area and then they will starve. No?"

"No! you've burned what? Fifteen square feet out of eight-hundred, it's not going to matter."

"Hmrph! Shows how much you know. No?" Paquito had now limped his way to Finrod's side. The elf still worked on the standing troll, his blows only glanced across the troll's hide, and even the deep cut he had grooved along the back of the troll had stopped bleeding.

"We're not going to make it unless we can burn them."

Paquito rummaged through his backpack

"What on earth are you looking for now?"

"Aha!" Paquito sounded as he pulled a small salt block from his pack. He turned to face the elf and wiggled his eyebrows and gave Finrod a thumbs up.

"You carry salt in you backpack?" Disbelief echoed across the elf's face

"I told you I'm going to salt the earth. No?"

"Light them up with fire first!" Desperation forced it's way into Finrod's voice

"With what? I don't carry flint and steel, no do I carry tinder twigs. I think it's time you became a man. No?" Paquito said as he broke off a piece of salt, threw it to the ground, and crushed it under his good hoof.

The trolls stopped flailing about for a second as their vision began to clear. Vicious maws turned towards the elf.

"Great now they can see again." Finrod announced

"What! I thought you said they were blind? No?"

"It doesn't last forever, you gonna help now?"

Paquito watched as the prone troll bent his legs underneath himself and flung his body up onto his feet.

"Burn it!" Finrod yelled

Paquito aimed his ray again, but the troll twisted away and the ray blasted into a backpack that had been laying near the campfire.

"Oops, appears my aim is a little off. No?"

"That was my backpack you idiot! I'll kill you first."

"Duck." Paquito's word had barely registered in Finrod's ears before he saw Paquito open his mouth and a bright orange glow appeared at the back of Paquito's throat.

Finrod fell to the ground as fire erupted from the mouth of Paquito, deep frying the two trolls and blazing away all signs of vegetation around them. Paquito closed his mouth and the fire ceased. Finrod looked up at Paquito in disbelief.

"Why didn't you do that first, instead of blowing my pack up and making me defend both of us at the same time?"

"I'm injured, I don't think clearly when I'm in pain. No?"

The low rumble of stomping feet issued the re-arrival of the fleeing giants.

"Good job Elfy! See Gronar make you fight like giant, and Elfy then gets hair on chest like Gronar." Gronar slaps Finrod's back and knocks the elf to the ground.

"Hey Korg, got any healing? I've got a major issue here." Paquito says over the bleeding form of Finrod

"Elfy look like bleeding bad? Maybe Korg have some flowers for Elfy first.?" Korg says

"He'll live. Let's talk about me. No? I mean who saved us all from dying at the claws of the stinky trolls huh?"

"What wrong with Pokey?" Gronar asks

"Look at this!" Paquito raises his hoof to show the imbedded stone.

Gronar looks down at the exhausted elf and then back at Paquito. "Gronar think Elfy saved Pokey. Korg help Pokey first, Gronar has tool for Pokey's owee." Gronar says with a blackened tooth smiled.

Remove ads