• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Don't play "stupid" characters. It is ableist.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The OP began with, "When you play 'stupid' characters...," (emphasis mine). This is pretty clearly a direct communication to the reader, as a player, and not an "open letter" to game writers. The OP, in fact, does not comment at all about how the game is written, but on how people sometimes play it, at tables.

So, I don't see how you got that impression.
I do.

The phrase "When you play..." can easily be interpreted as synonymous with "When one plays..."; and that's how I took it, as I often use "you" this way myself. In other words, the "you" here is generic and not referring to any one person.

Oofta

Legend
33 pages and still people insist on not engaging the actual point.

Neat.
Really? People have said repeatedly "don't make fun of others". That you can play a PC with lower intelligence without being disrespectful. The OP seems to have an issue with the concept of intelligence although it's vague and people disagree. Some people insist that you can play a 6 int Sherlock Holmes although others disagree.

Do you have a point or are you just trolling? What "actual point" have we not discussed?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The phrase "When you play..." can easily be interpreted as synonymous with "When one plays...";

So, consider the possibility that this wasn't the intended interpretation, or just consider it as a worthy alternate. Consider that the folks engaging in a social activity have some personal responsibilities.

Last edited:

Caliburn101

Explorer
Sure, one must not give credence or power to stereotypes - and that must be crystal clear from Session 0 onwards. However, it is not acceptable for a player to dump stat the two favourites - Int or Cha and then roleplay them as smart or charming (respectively), hiding behind the excuse that they should be able to roleplay their character how they want.

The fact is they dump stated to get a better Dex, Con or whatever and will as a direct result enjoy rolling with the consequent extra bonus continually through the game/campaign. If they had dump stated Dex - then I would not have allowed them to roleplay being graceful either, or a 7 Str character as strong - so I don't for Int or Cha.

They do not have to play 'dumb as a post' or 'trips over their tongue when they talk' characters, but I will be damned if they don't roleplay appropriate limitations at all. That is very poor roleplay, and poor gamesmanship, and I don't let it slide at my table as GM.

In ensuring nobody roleplays anything insulting or inappropriate, don't forget that the word 'roleplay' comes before the word 'game' and nobody forces anyone, ever, to dump stat...

Ragmon

Explorer
When you play 'stupid' characters are you are saying that there are stupid people and then you are imitating those people.

The idea of 'stupid' and 'smart' is rooted in ableism.

Don't use stats as an excuse. Having an 8 Int means (basically) that the character is slightly worse at memorizing facts than an average human.

Do have traits and behaviours which hinder the character (if you want).

Maybe they are not very knowledgeable.

Maybe they don't pay attention much of the time.

Maybe they engage in risky behaviour and think rashly.

Maybe they lack confidence because they have been called 'stupid' their whole lives.

Maybe they find themselves in a culture which is very different than their own and they struggle to adapt. Their common isn't very good and the way they view the world is different than those around them.

There are lots of possibilities to create interesting characters rather than just a walking insult and punching bag.

All I get from this is that, we should only play our self in game.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Really? People have said repeatedly "don't make fun of others". That you can play a PC with lower intelligence without being disrespectful. The OP seems to have an issue with the concept of intelligence although it's vague and people disagree. Some people insist that you can play a 6 int Sherlock Holmes although others disagree.

Do you have a point or are you just trolling? What "actual point" have we not discussed?
Look at the post above mine.

I didn't implicate 'you', I didn't implicate 'everyone'.

Back off.

Remove ads