Doppel Is A Physical Digital Miniature!

Upload your custom image and sound effects to this LED miniature.

cb260d69e1837927d8ab1299b70053df_original.png

Instead of a giant case of miniatures, you could soon be using a handful of programmable LED minis. These new gadgets, currently on Kickstarter, allow you to display your character's custom image on both sides of a twin-screen standee.

And it's not just visual--these minis also make noises! You can have character specific sound effects from sword clashes to spellcasting.

Designed for a 1-inch grid, these minis represent regular medium-sized creatures. It will set you back about $160 per mini (each with a charging case) on the Kickstarter, although the eventual retail price will apparently be closer to $280.

The Kickstarter cites compatibility with D&D, Star Wars, Fate, Vampire, Numenera, Pathfinder, and Cypher System, although I'm not clear what's required to make an image compatible with a game.

You can find Doppel on Kickstarter here for the next 3 weeks.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
For the record, I agree with you regarding that comment. But I still don't think it is a product that deserves successful funding.
I have one from a previous attempt, as I said above. I agree, the idea isn't ready (I got mine free from the last guy that tried this, at a much lower price point, and didn't fund). It just doesn't look right on the table.

As many of my friends also pointed out, people buy minis not just for function, but for a lot of other reasons also.

Zil

Explorer
I have one from a previous attempt, as I said above. I agree, the idea isn't ready (I got mine free from the last guy that tried this, at a much lower price point, and didn't fund). It just doesn't look right on the table.

As many of my friends also pointed out, people buy minis not just for function, but for a lot of other reasons also.

It's funded this time around. It looks like the equivalent of a digital pawn (with sound). If I played with pawns I might see using this, but using miniatures at my table, I don't think I would be interested, certainly not at the current price.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
It's funded this time around. It looks like the equivalent of a digital pawn (with sound). If I played with pawns I might see using this, but using miniatures at my table, I don't think I would be interested, certainly not at the current price.
Yup. It looks nearly identical to the one I have, but I could swear this guy has a different last name.....but the same first name, so maybe it is the same guy?

I agree with the poster above, when we get 3d holograms, minis are in trouble. As much as I sometimes like to paint them....

Reynard

Legend
Yup. It looks nearly identical to the one I have, but I could swear this guy has a different last name.....but the same first name, so maybe it is the same guy?

I agree with the poster above, when we get 3d holograms, minis are in trouble. As much as I sometimes like to paint them....
AR is only a matter of time.

Jahydin

Hero
Wow, the negativity of this hobby is already in force here. Sigh. It's like some of us are competing on how cleverly we can put something down.
Pretty hard to get excited over such an ill conceived product...

At the very least, this should have a 1 in. base and be scaled appropriately for compatibility with every other existing miniature.

Good on them for finding enough of a market to fund.

I watched the Kickstarter video and thought the large electronic box with a 2d image looked out of place next to the other D&D minis. It doesn’t look anything like a mini to me. It’s more like someone put a mini-TV on the battle mat. If anything, it felt less immersive, rather than more.

Clint_L

Hero
It's hard for me to imagine this becoming a thing at any price, let alone those prices. It seems ridiculous, from my perhaps too narrow-minded perspective. But if they can make it work, then good on 'em.

Edit: well holy smokes, they already got over a thousand backers and 200k in funding. Shows what I know!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads