• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dr. Evil or Scott Evil?

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Do you run your villains like Dr. Evil (toy around, evil rant, escapeable death traps, less than optimal) or like Scott Evil (pop to the head and they're dead)?

I find that I'd like to run more nefarious, evil plot type villains but the heroes make short work of them with their 'Scott Evil' ways.

Basically it's the difference between 'Grim 'n Gritty' and classic movie style villainy and heroism. While I want my villains to be intelligent does this always imply brutal and final efficiency.

Crothian

First Post
A little of both. It depends on what fits at the time. ?Usually though the heros are to small to be noticed by the Big Bad in my games.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Depends on the villian, some are creeps, some are thugs, some are henchmen, some are masterminds. I do like think the players should win, so I guess more on the Dr. Evil.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I've pretty much given up on having my Arch Villains follow the Dr. Evil mold. Whenever my baddies begin to talk, my players begin to "Soup up" for combat or just outright attack.

They make Scott Evil look like ditherer.

I actually instituted a rule in my Super Hero campaign that while anyone was doing a soliloquy, time effectively "stopped". There is a lot of precedence for this in comics:)

This resulted in certain of my players, during villainous soliloquy, gathering up dice and asking "is he done yet"?

Numion

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
I've pretty much given up on having my Arch Villains follow the Dr. Evil mold. Whenever my baddies begin to talk, my players begin to "Soup up" for combat or just outright attack.

It was quite funny that one adventure in newest Dungeon happened to mention this: "The above dialogue might need to be altered somewhat; PCs are notorious for interrupting villains during power-drunk speeches." Too true.

They make Scott Evil look like ditherer.

I actually instituted a rule in my Super Hero campaign that while anyone was doing a soliloquy, time effectively "stopped". There is a lot of precedence for this in comics:)

This resulted in certain of my players, during villainous soliloquy, gathering up dice and asking "is he done yet"?

I've actually used similar rule; the bad guys can reveal their masterplan as a free action ;)

That is, of course, unless the players already know it.

As to the original poster, It's usually Dr. Evil style. I'm no stranger to nightly scrye-teleport attacks on the PCs. Those are more of a Scott style, since PCs rarely have buffs on at night.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Depends on the villain. I have had some toy with the PCs; others I have had just off them immediately. Just really depends on the villain, circumstances, etc.

I don't play the role of "Killer DM", but neither do I play under the 2e assumption that "PCs shouldnt die." :D

SonOfLilith

First Post
Our DM only has one type of villian- The overly calculating, omnipresent and omnipotent one that has no flaws or weeknesses. He's much like the other PC's in the group, except always has the advantage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads