Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne - Escape From Old Korvosa

Axel

First Post
OOC:
Well, did you think to comment on that? Edmond has NO social skills, grew up in sewers and totally has no respect for the Emperor. If anything, the fact they are going there is extra-weaponry-inspiring event, esp. with the reputation that there are fights to be had for the benefit of the audience.

With the channeling, Edmond is not powerless even armed with the dagger. Or toothpick. :)

In short, yes. If Mhairi spots Edmond wearing a hundred pounds of metal before they leave the house she will politely advise that a little discretion may reduce the need for a hundred pounds of metal. Channeling is just as good as sneak attack at doing outrageous damage with a chair in a bar fight. :)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
But I don't get to use my trusty Deathwail...and without 100 pounds of metal, I feel naked :( ;) Edmond carries a dagger, that's all. Discretion was never the intention. The intention is to kill everyone including The Emperor.

Edmond defers to Mhairis expertise and dresses in his adventuring gear minus armor and weapon. Taking some fine clothes, having fancy cloak, headband and few other trinkets he looks like a nobleman, although one without fashion adviser. Not that his gaunt look and serious demeanor help the matter.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

Manachan dresses as always, but leaves his crossbow and bata in his room in the orphanage. "After all, the Szarni are known to be . . . unconventional. And these are far from my most dangerous weapons, should we come to fisticuffs." He smiles broadly at his old friend. "Come, Edmund. Time to meet the Emperor, and one does not go to meet nobility looking as though one is just off the battlefield. You'll spoil the surprise!"
[/section]

Kaodi

Hero
Ignatius listens to the others slowly give in to the notion of going in unarmed. At each concession, his mouth twitches minutely, but otherwise he gives no sign of his intentions. Once it has gotten to the point where everyone is looking to him for his reaction, all he does is ask, "Will they be searching bags?" as he gives his haversack a suggestive heft.

Neurotic

"Good idea, but can Deathwail fit? Those things are usually of limited dimensions if not weight. And armor takes time to done. But having it close will certainly help."

Kaodi

Hero
"Maybe not Deathwail," Ignatius concedes. "I figure the dimensions of the main space are about four feet deep, two feet wide the one way and one the other. I will have to empty it out to stuff our battle gear in. I keep it pretty full as it is. In any case, if it comes to it I may be persuaded to leave behind my weapons and shield, especially given their religious significance, but I paid a lot of money for this armour and I am sure I can convince anyone who asks that I just want to show it off."

Neurotic

"It would be fun to dress as Gray Maiden just for the shock value, unfortunately there are no Gray Lads and the armor is fit to their ... different ...form. And somehow I doubt Mhairi would like the part."

Axel

First Post
Mhairi giggled at the thought of going wearing the Maiden's armour. "Hey Ed, how sure are you that some aren't ummm...that way inclined anyway and wouldn't jump on one of those magical gender changing belts I've heard about? As long as it changes back again I reckon that'd be a good laugh for a few days. Anyway, no. I don't understand why you guys wear so much armour. It stops you moving properly, and you can't see anything... Oh, and nobody said you can't bring a weapon. Just make it something elegant. If you can't hold your drink and shake somebody's hand at the same time, don't bring it."

Neurotic

Edmond picks a toothpick off the table.
"Here. Is this acceptable as a weapon?

Don't worry, I'll take a dagger and keep it sheathed. Seriously though, I have an ability, you saw it in the infirmary, to produce fascinating lights that will stop a crowd in its track. More competent warriors will not stop and it will affect ruffians only after normal folk, but anyway, it will make our lives easier if it comes to a fight. Just don't hit those that stand around doing nothing. And don't gaze too deeply into the lights."

OOC: Hypnotic pattern on demand, affects 2d4+level HD which should be whole tavern of commoners :) It goes from lowest level up so as long as there are people around we should be safe from it.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Mhairi's friend gives the group a once-over with a cursory glance and leads them into a nearby building, up some stairs and the out of an upper floor across a rope bridge to another building, where four more men in the red/gold/black colours of the Emperor are putting on a casual kind of guard. Then up more stairs, across another rope bridge to a flat area between sloped rooves.

To one side is a raised area, with a theatrical prop throne painted in peeling gilt, and next to it a towering guillotine decorated with demonic carvings. Around the flat area, some sat on roof shingles like they were bleachers, are more thugs wearing the Emperor's colours and an assortment of people who look like a parody of a royal court - preening pimps and dandies and women who probably rent their services.

"You can tell Smilin' Ed not to worry about me starting anything," mutters Devargo, leaning in close to Mhairi. "The odds don't look good."

All eyes watch the group, but conversations don't lull until thre is a flourish and the Emperor emerges from the building behind his throne.

Pilts Swastel, self-styled Emperor of Old Korvosa and former owner of Exemplary Execrables, is a thin, sickly-looking man, his face bearing the tell-tale pockmarks of blood veil, which don't compliment his bulbous nose, thin moustache and small dark eyes, like those of a raven. He is draped in oversized fur-trimmed robes and a crown balances poorly on his head. A closer look suggests both may once have been stage costumes.

Flanking the Emperor are two strange figures. One, likely a gnome or halfling judging from his build, wears a black leather hood with only one eye hole.He hops over to the guillotine and begins to tweak and polish it with great care. The other is a bizarre mix of humanoid and spider, a lurching beast that stays well back from the throne.

Pilts Swastel leans over the railing of his dais and looks down at the group.

"So you're the great Heroes of Blood Veil I've heard about," he says. "I understand we're neghbours, nice of you to call in. Y'know you probably saved my life if you're the ones that found the cure for blood veil. And in honour of that you can ask me one request. If I like it, maybe I'll grant it. If I don't like it, Jabbyr here will get to play with his Long Knife."

At this the little gnome/halfling giggles sadistically and caressess the guillotine. It is at this point that you realise that there are quite a few heads in various stages of decay displayed on stakes around the edge of the Emperor's "court".

Remove ads