• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Draenei

KatyKat21

First Post
I have been playing WoW recently, and I got inspired to homebrew a Draenei race since I don't know if anyone else has attempted the same thing lol.

Draenei Appearance:

Draenei are almost similar to Tieflings, with the only difference being their bloodlines and a slight change in bone structure. Draenei are celestial beings, with digitigrade limbs and cloven hooves for feet (footwear must be made to fit or else a Draenei cannot wear it). They have horns protruding from their foreheads, similar to a ram's. Their skin tones range from white to any shade of light blue. Their hair colors range from white to any shade of blue. They have bright glowing white eyes, with no visible pupil or sclera. They have a tail similar to a Tieflings, no longer than 2 feet in length, and comes to a point at the end.

Draenei Traits:

Ability Score Increase: Intelligence score +1, Charisma score +2

Celestial Strength: Resistance to radiant damage.

Hands of Life: You know the Spare the Dying cantrip.

Eyes of Truth: Your eyes glow a radiant bright white. In Combat: While making eye contact with a humanoid within ten feet, you can paralyze them until the start of your next turn. During this time, you may take a bonus action to ask the target a question, which the target must answer truthfully, if able to speak. This action isn’t a command spell. You cannot force targets into doing something that they are unwilling to do. Once the effect ends, the target knows it was paralyzed, but is knew nothing of what happened while paralyzed (targets don't remember spilling the truth) Out of Combat: You can paralyze a target, making them unable to move. You can ask them a question, which they must respond truthfully if able to speak. Once they fully answer your question, the paralysis ends, making the target hostile towards you (evil humanoids will most likely initiate combat at this point), since they know they were paralyzed by you but they don't know what happened during the duration of the paralysis.

Darkvision

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Celestial.

I don't know if the Eyes of Truth need a cap, but I do know that I wish to keep the effect that it does. Feedback would be greatly appreciated on how to balance the Eyes of Truth trait, unless deemed that it doesn't need a cap.

Intregus

First Post
I think the effect is too strong period. Its better than the hold person spell.

What's the point of the feature, to get the target to tell the truth but be unaware of it(aka the charm effect) or to paralyze the target?

Intregus

First Post
K. The over powered part is paralyzing the target.

I'd just remove all the verbiage of paralyzing the target. And then this should only be usable once a rest.

The forcing target to answer a question truthfully if able to speak component is also overpowered. No save target cannot simply choose to stay silent, and target doesn't know that ty told you something. - That's more effective than the spell.

I think that we need some clarification on why you gave the race this ability in order to help you come up with a balanced version.

Its not reflective of the race in WoW, so what was your reasoning for including it?

KatyKat21

First Post
The forcing target to answer a question truthfully if able to speak component is also overpowered. No save target cannot simply choose to stay silent, and target doesn't know that ty told you something. - That's more effective than the spell.

I think that we need some clarification on why you gave the race this ability in order to help you come up with a balanced version.

Its not reflective of the race in WoW, so what was your reasoning for including it?

I wanted to make a draenei with a celestial spin. I wanted to give this race this ability because they are beings used in trials and when called upon they know all truth. What kind of a DC save would you be thinking I should put?

KatyKat21

First Post
I gave the spell a saving throw, and made the saving throw quite low so that I wouldn't need a cap on it. Should I make the DC lower, or does DC 11 sound reasonable?

Eyes of Truth: Your eyes glow a radiant bright white. In Combat: You make eye contact with a humanoid within ten feet. The target must make a Constitution saving throw as you try to reach into their mind with your own (DC 11). On a failed save, you may take a bonus action to ask the target a question, which the target must answer truthfully, if able to speak. This action isn’t a command spell. You cannot force targets into doing something that they are unwilling to do. Once the effect ends, the target is unaware of what it told you, but it felt your presence in their mind. On a successful save, the target knows that you had tried to reach into their mind. Out of Combat: Choose a target. The target must make a Constitution saving throw as you try to reach into their mind with your own (DC 11). On a failed save, you can ask them a question, which they must respond truthfully if able to speak. Once they fully answer your question, the trance ends, making the target hostile towards you (evil humanoids will most likely initiate combat at this point), since they felt your presence inside their mind but they didn't know what happened while the effect was taking place. On a successful save, the target knows that you had tried to reach into their mind.

Honestly? I'd just use the aasimaar racials from volos guide or if not them then the dm's guide version. If you want eradar, just use tieflings.

It's far less work for frankly very little gain. Lorewise the Draenai and Eradar are basically just the wow equivalent to Aasimaar and Tieflings anyway, as the former gains their powers through a pact with the Na'aru and the latter through a pact with demons/sargeras. Refluff the "angelic" aspects to pure beings of light and the angel wings to be more "space-glyphs" and you are good to go. If you really wish to keep the "truth" stuff, swap out the racial spells from the dm's guide version) to best represent it, casting zone of truth once per day instead of the lesser restoration. I'd personally HATE that trade off as lesser restoration is a much more commonly used spell, but to each their own.

Last edited:

Remove ads