Dragon #354 cover (hot modron action)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
el-remmen said:
I just recently used modrons in the finale of my "Out ofthe Frying Pan" campaign and used an organic model for them based on 1E MMII - all sorts of D&D creatures are "silly" or can be viewed that way - but it is all in how you use them.

Still, appreciate the illustration, just doesn't fit my view of modrons.

Ditto. Except I haven't used Modrons in a long time. I plan on it in the next campaign though.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
green slime said:
Arggghh. I tire of the April issues comedic "value". I don't subscribe to suffer through bad jokes. Not that I've seen more of this issue. Just a feeling I got after briefly viewing that cover.

We just got our office copies in, and that's pretty much what Erik talks about in his editorial. The issue itself is not filled with bad jokes and comedy. Modrons themselves are kind of silly looking, but the article about them isn't comedy. In fact, the contents of this issue pretty much would have worked well in any month.

As in, it's not the issue full of bad jokes you might fear it is.

green slime

First Post
James Jacobs said:
We just got our office copies in, and that's pretty much what Erik talks about in his editorial. The issue itself is not filled with bad jokes and comedy. Modrons themselves are kind of silly looking, but the article about them isn't comedy. In fact, the contents of this issue pretty much would have worked well in any month.

As in, it's not the issue full of bad jokes you might fear it is.

Thank you indeed for that most excellent news! :D

That actually really makes me irrationally happy. :D :D :D

Henry

Autoexreginated
And yet, it makes me irrationally unhappy.... :)

I'll still treasure my issue #97, with the Dungeon of Nogard, and the Hopeless Character class. :)

green slime

First Post
Henry said:
And yet, it makes me irrationally unhappy.... :)

I'll still treasure my issue #97, with the Dungeon of Nogard, and the Hopeless Character class. :)

Ah. Sorry to hear that, Henry. I just recall some issues of yeateryear where I found nothing, zip zilch, and zero articles of interest, and instead large swathes of seasonal "giddiness". Sometimes I felt that the magazine had focused too more on the season, than the contents. Guess I really am an old stick-in-the-mud. I'm sure glad I don't have their job trying to sort out and weigh what to include. No matter what you do, you're gonna get flamed.

Sort of like participating in a paladin thread on ENworld, really... :D

lukelightning

First Post
I, too, dislike the mechanical modron. Bring back our freaky radially-symmetric beasties! Mechano-modrons are suited only for comic relief.

Last edited:

Stone Dog

Adventurer
lukelightning said:
I, too, dislike the mechanical modron. Bring back our freaky radially-symmetric beasties!
Um... those guys are still around. they are the higher up modrons, these are base modrons.

Are there beter examples of these "organic" modrons out there? I've seen lots of Modron art and to my experience it comes in the flavors of classic line drawings without much detail and Planescape style. None of the things I've seen before planescape really nailed down a look for the creatures to either mostly metal or mostly flesh and planescape modrons seem to get less and less mechanical the more advanced they get. Even the monodrones seem to be an organic sphere with a metal shell.

Remove ads