• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon 363 - Epic Binders

Flamewarrior

First Post
Bernstein, for starters, seems not to know what's an effective binder level. Also, the part where quickened empowered maximized magic missile's an epic ability's ridiculous. And yeah, there's Bible in there, and the whole "ambiguity of alignment" went to waste - check the bronze vestige.

I second the recommendation for Secrets of Pact Magic, as having very interesting stuff - but haven't played so far.

JustaPlayer

First Post
Ankh Pilgrim said:
I wondered that myself. Was this an oversight, or are epic vestiges so mighty that no binder could possibly resist their influence, making the binding check unnecessary? If it was an intentional omission, I'd like to see that explicitly stated. It makes a difference- if the vestige that compels the binder to destroy undead (I believe this was the interesting Egyptian themed one) were bound by an undead being who had the 'Ignore special requirements' feat, he'd be compelled to destroy himself regardless. (Or am I being careless- does 'ignore special requirements' not apply to epic vestiges?)

I do like the feats, and the vestiges themselves, all very timely, since the doors seem to have just closed on the last of WotC's official 3.5 content. How different is their epic material from that in Secrets of Pact Magic?

Well, they have a number of Spirits available at epic level, which require a feat (21st level, and 21 Con[the binding of epic spirit takes a toll on the body]) to bind. The Spirits have very high DCs, but they can be reduced by meeting certain criteria. I would say there are 7 or 8 abilities of which you choose 4 when you bind to the spirit. There is a feat that allows you to choose a 5th ability at the time of binding. from what I see, you can only bind one epic spirit at a time though.

Ankh Pilgrim said:
I am very curious, JustaPlayer, about your experience with Secrets of Pact Magic. How does it actually play? I've only looked at the sample material thus far. I like the adjusted premise better than the ToM Binder- it's more flexible and flavorful if you can make pacts with other kinds of beings than vestiges beyond reality- and I really really liked the idea of the capstone power, because it makes the binding check have significance beyond how you RP your character. I like the idea of multiple classes using binding. But the sample base class they provided struck me as... odd, nothing I'd ever use.

The table of contents suggested there was a lot more interesting material, but I'm very curious how it actually plays out at the table.

I have only played two sessions with the rules but it works much better. I was frustrated with the ToM class. I had a prestige class which pretty much locked me into one vestige and then was able to bind a second vestige. The problem was I had to bind a 2nd level vestige all the time because of the prestige class, even though I was entitled to 5th level vestiges. Anyway, when I bond the second vestige, it always seem useless to the situation. Secrets is more flexible. If I can bind two 5th level spirits, I would be able to bind the 2nd level and additional vestiges adding up to 8 more spirit levels (i.e. I can have a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th level spirit bound, or even 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 4th). There is an option rule that can give consequences for binding too many spirits that will make you not want to abuse that. Also of note is that I find abilities to be more useful. Over all, I feel it is more playable.

Here's a list of the classes (please note these classes can bind spirits at all levels, I am just listing the maximum spirit they can bind at 20th level):

Empyrean Monk: Has a monk's flurry of blows ability as well as some other monk stuff. Able to bind a 9th level spirit at 20th level.

Foe Hunter: This is a roguish type binder with sneak attack and favored enemies. Able to bind a 6th spirit at 20th level.

Occult Priest: These guys are looking to become godlike. Can bind epic "fragments" at 15th level. Able to bind a 9th level spirit at 20th level.

Pact Warrior: Fighter-like character, able to enter battle trances and has a spirit strike ability. Able to bind a 6th level spirit at 20th level.

Soul Weaver: This is a wizard-like binder. He is able to cast arcane spells, though fewer than a wizard. He can bind a 9th level spirit at 20th level.

Spirit Binder: This guy is closest to the binder class presented in ToM. He can bind 9th level "spirits" at 20th level. Where other classes only bind one spirit, this guy can do more. Remember though that the other can bind multiple spirit if the total level <= the max level.

Unbound Witch: This class gains special abilities permanently and gets deformed in the process. Able to bind a 9th level spirit at 20th level.

Warbinder: Another fighter-like binder. Able to bind a 6th level spirit at 20th level.

Last edited:

AncientSpirits

First Post
JustaPlayer, thanks for the details! Alas, a table of contents can't say as much as someone who has used the book.

Anyway, I'm the author :) If you all have any questions, I'll answer them here or at the book's forum (http://www.pactmagic.com/forum/). FYI: If you want a full PDF to check it out, Paizo is selling those for instant download.

When doing the epic section, I wanted to handle epic vestiges differently than the standard ones, just as epic magic uses spell seeds rather than spells for greater flexibility.

This weekend I'll be announcing a contest for folks such as yourselves to design new spirits (vestiges) for use inclusion in the upcoming Villains of Pact Magic. The top contestants will have their stuff illustrated too! :)

If anyone here is going to the Paizo Meetup mini-con in 3 weeks in Seattle, I'll be there with copies for folks to browse.

Soel

First Post
Secrets of Pact Magic also has better options for other characters/npcs to dabble in Pact Magic than does the ToM.

Haven't got to use anything yet, though. Hell, haven't read the whole thing yet. This book is chock full of goodness and quite dense.

Stalker0

Legend
AncientSpirits said:
JustaPlayer, thanks for the details! Alas, a table of contents can't say as much as someone who has used the book.

Anyway, I'm the author :) If you all have any questions, I'll answer them here or at the book's forum (http://www.pactmagic.com/forum/). FYI: If you want a full PDF to check it out, Paizo is selling those for instant download.

Ah, if your the author I have a suggestion. Make it clearer when advertising your product that it actually works with the TOM binder!! I looked at the product thinking it neat, but I figured it was a completely different pact magic idea, not an extension of the current model.

It wasn't until this thread that my eyes were opened.

Stalker0

Legend
The epic binder does look pretty good, especially when you consider that not only are you getting access to all of these cool binders, but you also gain more vestiges at a time.

JustaPlayer

First Post
Stalker0 said:
Ah, if your the author I have a suggestion. Make it clearer when advertising your product that it actually works with the TOM binder!! I looked at the product thinking it neat, but I figured it was a completely different pact magic idea, not an extension of the current model.

The author is between a rock and a hard place there. As ToM is closed content, he can't come out and say something like that. One look at the free material on his site will show you that it is more similar than not though. On his site he explains that this kind of magic is seen in sources such as The Lesser Key of Solomon and therefore can't be completely closed if one could reasonably derive a system around the content.

At Soel, yes there certainly are better options for other classes to dabble in binding. For instance, with a feat, an arcane cast can forego spells of a level and below to bind a spirit of that level. (i.e. If a sorcerer gives up all his 1st-3rd level spells for the day, he can instead bind a 3rd level spirit)

AncientSpirits

First Post
Stalker0 said:

Hi Stalker,
A great idea. Alas, various limitations prevent me from doing so. Even if the Tome of Magic binder were OGL, the use of the d20 license precludes the use of certain words and terms except as defined in the license. Eeek. Fortunately, word-of-mouth is often, in the long run, a powerful way to advertise.

I suppose I could say:

"Have you enjoyed other d20-System products with binders and pact magic? You will be able to continue your journey in a familiar way using Secrets of Pact Magic. This 336-page tome contains...."
Gives new meaning to the term, "Creative advertising."

In retrospect, do you think this might have drawn you in?

Remove ads