• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon 366 - Wish Upon A Star

zoroaster100

First Post
Great article. The great flavor for star pact alone is enough to make it awesome. The powers seem balanced at first glance (but need more careful review). The tiefling only feat does seem too strong, since it grants a bonus at will power and all the benefits that come with many powers which apply only to someone of a specific pact. It seems like just qualifying for the extra benefits of certain powers alone would be a worthwhile feat, and getting the pact boon of another pact would alone be worth another feat, and finally, getting an extra at will from another pact alone would be worth a feat or be possibly too powerful for a feat (but maybe fine if it required a prerequisite of a feat to gain the pact benefits, and another feat to gain the pact boon).

Dog Moon

Adventurer
As to the first feat, because Tieflings already have Fire Resistance and Bael Turath Born is just adding to the existing Fire Resistance, not granting it. That would be my guess.

Right, but why couldn't a Warlord Tiefling or a Rogue Tiefling be Bael Turath Born?

Why ONLY Warlock Tieflings can be Bael Turath Born?

Kez Darksun

First Post
Right, but why couldn't a Warlord Tiefling or a Rogue Tiefling be Bael Turath Born?

Why ONLY Warlock Tieflings can be Bael Turath Born?

Ahh, I see what you are saying now. I missed seeing the tiefling warlock requirement in my skim through of the feat description. I agree its odd that it isn't for all tieflings. I can't even think it might have been for flavor reasons, because it doesn't specify infernal pact warlocks. I might have bought it being for flavor reasons if it had.

That One Guy

First Post
There are some flaws, errors, etc. But oh my goodness. That has to be my favorite Dragon article, yet. Most of the flavour text was interesting and provocative without being tacky. I just... read it. Whole thing. I'm hoping the flaws'll be fixed for the compilation, but overall very enjoyable to read.

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
For the Paragon tier feats, I feel like two fold pact should have had Half-elf instead of Tiefling (which does not sit with their history) Half elf fits with their human heritage enabling them to gain extra at will and their flavor lends itself to the half elf being good at diversification. Bael Turath born really shouldn't be restricted to warlock and if it is should really only be infernal where Tieflings mechanically are weak but historically should gains some sort of bonus.

The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Hahaha!! Classic ;)

Hm, all of this brings up a question:

What happens with Star-pact warlocks, in Spelljammer?
Stars abound in space....

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Hahaha!! Classic ;)

Hm, all of this brings up a question:

What happens with Star-pact warlocks, in Spelljammer?
Stars abound in space....

I infer from the new cosmology that 'space' as we know it (and used previously for Spelljammer)doesn't really exist in 4E D&D. There are no other planets, just 'the world' as described on p. 160 of the DMG. Even the illustration shows just a single planet.

I think 'space' may actually be the Far Realm.

As for Spelljammer, my hope is that spelljamming now occurs in the Astral Sea. It would be a perfect fit--IMO, an even better fit than the original setting. I would LOVE for Spelljammer to be redone to be an Astral Sea campaign setting, with a liberal dose of the 'Shadow of the Spider Moon' redux from Polyhedron. Oh yeah... I would also love for it to have lots of psionics.

(I started fabricating a Spelljammer campaign set in the Astral Sea before 4E was announced. The schitck was that each character had to be a psionic class at first level. Rationale was that the characters were actually astral projections from a mundane person in either our world or the D&D world. While ultra-cool in its own right (IMHO), this setting stemmed from the desire to easily be able to explain when a character wasn't there, or had to leave, or showed up late. Bob can't amke it tonight? Someone woke his projector and*poof!* his projection disappears. Oh look, Jim made it! *Poof!* his projection appears in the ether as his character begins to dream.
It's tabled for now... hopefully someone from WotC reads this and shamelessly steals it from me for further development. Otherwise, I'll resurrect it once more Astral and psionic material is available.)

Last edited:

Remove ads