• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon 366 - Wish Upon A Star

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Liked this one! :D

Some things are balance-wise a bit strange (we'll see), but the flavour and the ideas are awesome. I want such an article for every class (and the illusionist article was really weak compared to that bugger!) - fast!

Expanding extensively on one class, giving at least one extra option per level? Including feats and flavourful and/or funny hints ("ends all in tentacles!") That's what I want from a good class article!

Cheers, LT.

Byronic

First Post
I think Tieflings are just supposed to be the best race for Warlocks. The Twopact feat is acceptable thematically if you think of Tieflings choosing both sides, hoping to play them against eachother and such. A bit unfair towards other races playing Warlocks though

I think that the free at will isn't AS powerful as it would be for another class. Think about how bad it would be if there was a feat allowing Wizards an extra free will power.

I must say though that I hope all races get really good racial feats like these. I think the Warlock class really deserved this, after getting the terribly Starpact Paragon class and starting off with only three pacts instead of four (although dark pact did solve some of this.)

Hellzon

First Post
I think that the free at will isn't AS powerful as it would be for another class. Think about how bad it would be if there was a feat allowing Wizards an extra free will power.

True, the Warlock pact at-wills do the same thing - do damage and give the enemy a disincentive to hit back. It'd be broken for Wizards because their spells actually do different things. :p

Wouldn't be crazy powerful for a Fighter either, frex. (At least not until martial Power comes out and gives us more varied fighter at-wills.) The human race cries, though.

Reaper Steve,
The Forgotten Realms 4th ed book specifically mentions, in a small side panel, the other planets of the system of Toril ;)

Also, the Dragon article would seem to imply from mentioning nebulae, dead stars that swallow other stellar objects (ie black holes) that space, is space as we know it, sort of.
(of course, DMs can do what they want)

;)

Byronic

First Post
True, the Warlock pact at-wills do the same thing - do damage and give the enemy a disincentive to hit back. It'd be broken for Wizards because their spells actually do different things. :p

Wouldn't be crazy powerful for a Fighter either, frex. (At least not until martial Power comes out and gives us more varied fighter at-wills.) The human race cries, though.

The human race may cry until it cries tears of blood, I think they're a bit dull anyway. Anyway, they still make better wizards then Tieflings do. They may have gotten these things to make them better warlocks mechanically. Which they needed... I should note I'm not really a fan of the new Tieflings, they need refluffing.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
True, the Warlock pact at-wills do the same thing - do damage and give the enemy a disincentive to hit back.
Not for a Cha-based Star'lock. He normally gets a Cha-based Reflex and a Con-based Fortitude attack. Giving him a Cha-based Will attack is quite strong.

And that's before you give him the free teleports.

Cheers, -- N

Last edited:

Kez Darksun

First Post
As far as the two Intelligence based powers, I do believe it to be deliberate based on them both having Gibbeth as the source of the powers. I'm hoping to see more powers from Gibbeth in the Arcane Powers sourcebook as well as a Paragon path to help explain why powers from Gibbeth would seem to be based on Int rather than Con or Cha. Hopefully we'll see more star specific paragon paths/epic destinies in general in the future whether it be in another Dragon article, or in Arcane Powers.

Travelling to those stars, you'd get a dead world, a black hole, or a world gone mad or massive tentacles coming out of the star consuming all that comes near...

As for other types of warlocks, I think we'll eventually see other similar expansions to the other two warlock pact types before we see additional ones from books like Arcane Power.

frankthedm

First Post
Right, but why couldn't a Warlord Tiefling or a Rogue Tiefling be Bael Turath Born?

Why ONLY Warlock Tieflings can be Bael Turath Born?
Well, for starters it makes sure at most only one person per party has it.

It could have been named better. "Location-Born" not a grand named for anything that can be retrained.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Also, Twofold Pact? Tiefling only, which I'm not crazy about, but in general concept it seems too strong a feat.
It does feel potent. Maybe if the teifling only had one pact 'on' at a time and switching between the pacts costed 5 HP each time as both pacts play tug of war with the teifling's impertinent soul.

Remove ads