• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Bile gland

shadowcaster007

First Post
We killed a young blue dragon and removed the bile gland from it.
How many dosses of poison can I get from one gland? :rolleyes:

In the song and silence book on page 25, the chart has 1500gp per dose.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
shadowcaster007 said:
We killed a young blue dragon and removed the bile gland from it.
How many dosses of poison can I get from one gland? :rolleyes:

In the song and silence book on page 25, the chart has 1500gp per dose.

Ask your dm.

And pick up AEG's Dragon to see pages of what you can do with different dragon parts.

FD

Conaill

First Post
Also keep in mind that Dragon Bile poison has a Craft DC of 30. Good luck extracting *any* poison out of it unless you're level 10 or so. The stuff is contact poison, so you'll probably wind up poisoning yourself.

IMHO, you're much better off casting Gentle Repose on the entire corpse, and hauling it back to someone who knows what he's doing. Any decent high level mage or alchemist would gladly give an arm and a leg for dragon parts in good condition. Of course, you probably already hacked it up and spoiled it, didn't ya? :(

Last edited:

Latency

First Post
Conaill said:
Of course, you probably already hacked it up and spoiled it, didn't ya? :(

That is correct the gland has been removed, why would you rule the Craft check to be made when removing the glad, This is out of curiosity?

Squire James

First Post
I'm not sure how accurate the term "dragon bile" is, but if it means the same thing to a human that it does to a human I think that means you're removing the dragon's gall bladder. That's not a terribly big organ...

I'd say a size S or smaller dragon will not yield enough for a single dose. A size M would yield 1 dose, 2 doses for size L, 4 for size H, 8 for size G, and 16 for size C. It is entirely possible that the stuff comes from another organ, or doesn't come from dragons at all. For now, I will assume it really does come from a dragon's gall bladder (and that dragons have one!).

Knowing what to remove would be a (estimated) DC 25 Knowledge [poisons] check the first time someone tries to do this. If the check fails, the character has to wait until his skill goes up, or some circumstance like reading a book on dragon anatomy, to retry.

Crafting the poison would use the usual Crafting rules with Craft DC 30, except the crafter does not have to pay for raw materials. The organ IS the raw materials (each potential dose has a market value of 1500 gp, or a sell value of 750 gp). Missing a roll by 5 or more ruins 1 potential dose of poison. This market value should be considered "treasure" if the DM thinks the players are going to do this sort of thing. I'd consider giving "standard" rather than "double standard" treasure.

I'd probably "rule 0" the crafting process (the standard rules really only work on weapons and armor) to make the crafting time of someone who gets exactly 30 on their checks about a week.

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
There is an official Alchemy of Craft(Poison) DC for Dragon Bile. Listed in a couple of different sources now, Tome & Blood for one, I think. Sure, you may be able to butcher the dragon and remove its bile gland, but at some point you'd still have to make a DC 30 to actually get the poison.

Not to mention that crafting poisons follows the normal Craft rules, so that one dose of 1500 gp poison is going to take you... about 117 days (assuming a check result of 30, so 90 gp/week).
Yes, Craft rules are rather wacky that way, but them's the rules.

With "hacked it up and spoiled it" I meant you had to cut open the dragon to get to the bile gland (aka gall bladder, I guess). Since presumably none of you have any skills in disecting magical creatures, you probably cut into a bunch of other stuff that could have made very valuable components. Did any of you even know what a bile gland looks like, or where to find it? That dragon corpse, in good condition (granted, you had to kill it first...) could easily be worth tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in spell components etc. The fact that you've hacked it apart to get at some 1500 gp poison could easily have reduced the price you can get for it by much more than the price of the dragon bile.

Of course, your DM could decide that a dragon corpse is essentially worthless, except for its hide and bile gland. But it's a friggin dragon! Just think of how many species of tigers and rhinos are being driven to extinction just because people in China believe their bones have magical healing properties. Don't you think in a magical world that would be even more true?

Forget about that bile gland for now, at least until you get back to civilization (and an alchemist lab). Cast Gentle Repose ASAP (it'll even cover all the parts you've already cut out). Then go find a buyer for the corpse, and someone who knows how to treat the gland.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Every little piece
Every little piece
We could make a million by slicing him, dicing him
Hogie we could sell, every little shell
There's enough of him to go around
Money, money, money by the pound

Every little piece
Every little piece
I could take a scissor and clip him up, rip him up
Every little part is a work of art