• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Breath Recharge Question

Simplicity

Explorer
A silly question that I should know the answer to,
but for some reason don't.

A dragon's breath recharges in 1d4 rounds.
Now, if the recharge roll is a 1, then can a dragon
breathe two rounds in a row, or does the dragon have
to wait 1 round before the breath is available again?

Murrdox

First Post
From the SRD:

Breath Weapon (Su): Using a breath weapon is a standard action. Once a dragon breathes, it can’t breathe again until 1d4 rounds later.

I've always run it the latter way as well, meaning a dragon always has at least 1 round in between using its breath weapon. However, does "1 round later" mean next round? It might, I dunno.

I'm thinking that on the dragon's next turn, since it just breathed last turn, a round would not have yet elasped, so it would have to wait at least one round. It is ABLE to breath again at the end of its next turn... but its turn is over.

Last edited:

Murrdox

First Post
Aye, that's much clearer.

I kinda raised my eyebrow when I read what the SRD said... it sounded way too vague to be how it was phrased in the MM.

The MM says "Once a dragon breathes, it can't breathe again until 1d4 rounds later." If it rolls 1, the next action is 1 round later, so it can breathe.
There's a feat that allows a dragon to breathe in 1d4-1 rounds, with a specificed minimum of 1 because it cannot breath twice in the same turn.

Darren

kreynolds

First Post
demiurgeastaroth said:
If it rolls 1, the next action is 1 round later, so it can breathe.

But that only holds up with the text in the MM and MoF. The MMII says "must wait". The hellfire wyrm, from the same book, says this as well.

kreynolds said:

But that only holds up with the text in the MM and MoF. The MMII says "must wait". The hellfire wyrm, from the same book, says this as well.

I don't see a conflict. Before I take my next action, I must wait till my next turn.

Darren

Remove ads