• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Breath Recharge Question

kreynolds

First Post
demiurgeastaroth said:
I don't see a conflict. Before I take my next action, I must wait till my next turn.

According to MMII...

Round 1: Move and Breathe. You roll a 1d4 and get a 1.
Round 2: You wait.
Rounds 3: You breathe.

Even if you need only wait one round, you can't breathe the next round (round 2). Why? Because you have to wait one round. Did you wait in round 1? No. Did you wait in round 2? Yes. Can you breathe in round 2? No. Why? Because you had to wait. If you could breathe in round 2, then you didn't have to wait. When round 2 is over, you have waited one round.

I definately see a conflict.

Last edited:

kreynolds said:

According to MMII...

Round 1: Move and Breathe. You roll a 1d4 and get a 1.
Round 2: You wait.
Rounds 3: You breathe.

Even if you need only wait one round, you can't breathe the next round (round 2). Why? Because you have to wait one round. Did you wait in round 1? No. Did you wait in round 2? Yes. Can you breathe in round 2? No. Why? Because you had to wait. If you could breathe in round 2, then you didn't have to wait. When round 2 is over, you have waited one round.

I definately see a conflict.

I haven't seen the MMII. Does it spell it out explicitly as you have, with an example, or does it simply say "must wait 1 round". If the latter, I believe you are interpreting it incorrectly. If not, then well I'm wrong :)
Can you print exactly (and in full) what the MMII has to say ?

Darren

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
demiurgeastaroth said:
Does it spell it out explicitly as you have, with an example, or does it simply say "must wait 1 round".

Neither.

demiurgeastaroth said:
Can you print exactly (and in full) what the MMII has to say ?

Sure.

"Once a dragon breathes, it must wait 1d4 rounds to do so again."

Simple logic would demand that you can't wait and breathe in the same round. Thus, because you breathed in round 1, you didn't wait. In round 2, you can't breathe because you haven't waited yet, and you can't wait to breathe and breathe at the same time. Thus, you can breathe in round 3.

kreynolds said:

Neither.

Sure.

"Once a dragon breathes, it must wait 1d4 rounds to do so again."

Simple logic would demand that you can't wait and breathe in the same round. Thus, because you breathed in round 1, you didn't wait. In round 2, you can't breathe because you haven't waited yet, and you can't wait to breathe and breathe at the same time. Thus, you can breathe in round 3.

What if you roll 2? You must wait 2 rounds. Does this mean you don't get to act at all the round after you breath - if you act, you are not waiting.
To me, "must wait 1 round" is identical to "must wait until next round."
"Must wait 1 round" does not mean "breathe again in 2 rounds," and "must wait 1d4 rounds" does not mean "breathe again in 1d4+1 rounds."

Murdoxx said "I'm thinking that on the dragon's next turn, since it just breathed last turn, a round would not have yet elasped, so it would have to wait at least one round. It is ABLE to breath again at the end of its next turn... but its turn is over."

What if the dragon delays. Say, it breathes with an initiative of 20, and then rolls 1 on the d4 round. On 20 next round, by this interpretation, a full round has not yet elapsed. So the dragon delays till 19, and now a full round has elasped and it can now breathe.

IMO, on its next turn, one full round has elapsed and it can breathe if it rolls a 1.

Darren

Mahali

Explorer
Think of it as a spell duration.

Duration of one round means I cast (breath) and then next round on my action it's not in effect anymore so I cast (breath) again.

kreynolds

First Post
demiurgeastaroth said:
What if you roll 2?

Then you have to wait 2 rounds before you can use your breath weapon again.

demiurgeastaroth said:
You must wait 2 rounds.

Yup.

demiurgeastaroth said:
Does this mean you don't get to act at all the round after you breath - if you act, you are not waiting.

You can act. You just can't use your breath weapon yet. The quote from MMII in no way implies paralysis.

demiurgeastaroth said:
To me, "must wait 1 round" is identical to "must wait until next round."

I think that's quite a stretch.

demiurgeastaroth said:
"Must wait 1 round" does not mean "breathe again in 2 rounds," and "must wait 1d4 rounds" does not mean "breathe again in 1d4+1 rounds."

I really think it does. Simple logic. It says you have to wait. So, you wait. After that, you can use your breath weapon again.

demiurgeastaroth said:
Murdoxx said "I'm thinking that on the dragon's next turn, since it just breathed last turn, a round would not have yet elasped, so it would have to wait at least one round. It is ABLE to breath again at the end of its next turn... but its turn is over."

I think his statement was just as ambiguous as the text in MMI, and note that he perferred the text in MMII. I think the dragon simply has to wait. By waiting one round, it can now breathe the next round.

demiurgeastaroth said:
What if the dragon delays. Say, it breathes with an initiative of 20, and then rolls 1 on the d4 round. On 20 next round, by this interpretation, a full round has not yet elapsed. So the dragon delays till 19, and now a full round has elasped and it can now breathe.

IMO, on its next turn, one full round has elapsed and it can breathe if it rolls a 1.

You lost me here. I'm trying to follow though.

Last edited:

IanB

First Post
A key point here, I think, is the wording of the feat in Savage Species that takes one round off the recharge time. The fact that it bothers to specify a minimum "1 round later" breath on a result of 1-1, stating that the creature can't breath twice in the same round implies that if you roll a 1 on that d4 you can in fact breathe the next round.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads