• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon casting

fl8m

First Post
Do dragons use material, verbal, and somatic components when casting spells as a sorcerer? I could have sworn I read something about that subject but i don't remember where or what it said.

Ashardalon

First Post
Spells: A dragon knows and casts arcane spells as a sorcerer of the level indicated in its variety description, gaining bonus spells for a high Charisma score. Some dragons can also cast spells from the cleric list or cleric domains as arcane spells.

That's all from the SRD. Thus, it can be said that dragons use all the normal rules for their spellcasting.

Magic Rub

First Post
fl8m said:
Do dragons use material, verbal, and somatic components when casting spells as a sorcerer? I could have sworn I read something about that subject but i don't remember where or what it said.

I'm in the same boat as you. I remember reading something regarding this. I think "it" said something to the effect of dragons being able to cast thier spells as per spell-like abilities. But I can't remember for sure... how it worked, or where I saw it.

Magic Rub

First Post
Derren said:
Not that I know of. In 2Ed dragon cut cast with only V components, but for 3Ed you have to wait for the Draconomicon.

That's probably what I've been thinking of all this time. I'll have to check my old 2e MM when I get home see if it rings a bell.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Creatures with innate spellcasting ability cast spells differently than normal casters.

I don't have my books with me, but I believe they don't need material components, or somatic components. Not sure about verbal.

Steve Jung

Explorer
On page 9 of the Monster Manual, under Special Attacks: Spells (Sp).

Some creatures can cast arcane or divine spells just as members of a spellcasting class can (and can activate magic items accordingly). These creatures are subject to the same spellcasting rules as characters are.
Although it's funny to picture a dragon casting hold person and trying to pick up an iron pin. :)

Kylearan

First Post
Well met!
Steve Jung said:

Although it's funny to picture a dragon casting hold person and trying to pick up an iron pin. :)
Although the dragon could then score a home run with pin and held opponent ... :)

Kylearan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads