• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Controller article up

Gunpowder

First Post
Link:Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Controllers)

I like the advice part. Though I don't know if I agree with the "implement users tend to miss more than weapon guys" I know it can come up with elite brutes (fort defense higher than AC) but the math works most of the time.

The crutch I like a little less. The feats are all utility swaps for powers to augment your attacks, Adding: brutal 2, pushs, and ignoring cover and resistances are all nice but I just prefer utilities that can work outside of a fight.

I like the feat that gives extra damage if you miss all but one target with an area attack. That can easily happen. ;)

One of the swap feats says you can exchange the power against one 9th level utility power or higher - there are no 9th level utility powers and it should probably be 10th level...

The explanation of the controller role looks good, and it expands or clarifies the PHB definition for "controlling". I am sure the article could have been longer, explaining more and maybe adding a few specific examples.

By the way, this might be an interesting idea: Create an encounter scenario and describe the decision-making process for each role.

NMcCoy

Explorer
Oh hey, metamagic feats are back, in the guise of utility powers. Nifty.
And Clever Control is a nice solid feat for certain caster-types.

Also, Explosive Power is impressive - it doesn't care about hitting or targeting, for one thing. An Explosive Power Fire Shroud exerts some impressive battlefield control, and an Explosive Power Storm Cage is delightfully brutal.

Last edited:

Belphanior

First Post
Hmm... now I want to see a Legion's Hold with Explosive Power. You don't have to use the full distance, or even any, with forced movement effects, so you can make for some very effective rewriting of the battlefield. Soldiers stunned in the back, controllers stunned right next to us. Perfect. ;)

CubeKnight

First Post
Anyone else think those aren't that powerful to merit being Dailies? I could easily see them as Encounters. I mean, an area Push/Prone is not that powerful, is it?

NMcCoy

Explorer
Note too that it doesn't need to actually be a controller power, you just need to have the controller role. So you could multiclass paladin for an explosive Call to Arms (Come and fight me! No, not you guys, go away.), or a hybrid controller warlock could bust out an explosive Cursebite. There's also some fun to be had with things like Grounding Rebuke, or Hypnotic Pattern Attack.

Anyone else think those aren't that powerful to merit being Dailies? I could easily see them as Encounters. I mean, an area Push/Prone is not that powerful, is it?
An area push 5 that doesn't need to hit? Explosive Spell would be outright broken as an encounter. (Dunno about you, but I'd spend three feats on my wizard to multiclass warlock, pick up Cursebite, and shove everyone in the encounter 5 squares (or more, with item boosts) every single encounter.)

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
Gunpowder: It's infrequent to see utilities that work out of combat. A lot of those in the PHB for instance are combat utilities.

I think it's good to see the implement users getting access to thigns like Brutal.

CubeKnight

First Post
Note too that it doesn't need to actually be a controller power, you just need to have the controller role. So you could multiclass paladin for an explosive Call to Arms (Come and fight me! No, not you guys, go away.), or a hybrid controller warlock could bust out an explosive Cursebite. There's also some fun to be had with things like Grounding Rebuke, or Hypnotic Pattern Attack.
Heh, did notice that. I'm thinking Barbarians swinging their axes and sending enemies flying, tho it's probably not optimal.

An area push 5 that doesn't need to hit? Explosive Spell would be outright broken as an encounter. (Dunno about you, but I'd spend three feats on my wizard to multiclass warlock, pick up Cursebite, and shove everyone in the encounter 5 squares (or more, with item boosts) every single encounter.)
Must've missed that it didn't need to hit. Hmmm. Guess it can get pretty borked as an Effect.

Remove ads