• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon/DDI content for the Macintosh crowd?

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Funny all this, because I play World of Warcraft on my Mac...

I also run Hexagon2 on my Mac for making 3D models...

And DazStudio for posing assorted pre built figures...

So... I don't get it.

And if they want to appeal to the iPod generation, going Windows only, they won't be getting it either.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
mearlus said:
Scott,
Thanks for the first hand info. I'd be curious as to why boot camp wouldn't work because your natively in Windows.

I can't say I have tried bootcamp first hand, I have parallels.

I have yet to try the D&Di applications yet but plan too.

I have tried parallels with other PC based game sand it didn't work.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Scott_Rouse said:

Parallels + Baldur's Gate seems stable, even though I tend to lie about what is a CD and what is the output of dd(1). ;)

More seriously, may I recommend that the next generation of software be built with standard cross-platform libraries? It's really, really not that hard to get good cross-platform software right, and it doesn't cost much extra (beyond testing, which is non-trivial, except ... well, there's a very nice upside there too). It's honestly cheap and easy if you plan for it, which is as easy as picking libraries that support all platforms you care about.

It's also easier to do support for standard stuff than it is to be shackled to someone else's icky in-house mudball.

Cheers, -- N

mearlus

Explorer
Scott_Rouse said:

I had a lot of problems with parallels with performance that I didn't even get around to trying WOW on it.

I switched to using VMWare Fusion and it was about 10x faster than parallels and everything i've tried has worked so far.

In either case, once I can sign up I'll be trying it out ;)

malraux

First Post
Scott_Rouse said:
Bootcamp is entirely different. In bootcamp, you've got a windows machine that just happened to be assembled by apple. As long as the core hardware is right (ie the video card is the right kind, the machine is fast enough, enough HD space, etc) it'll run like it will on any other windows machine, because it is just any other windows machine.

As a side note, you should look into setting up bootcamp in conjunction with parrallels. You can create it such that the disk image that parallels uses is your windows partition. So you could run most windows things via parallels, then if you need to use the 3d stuff, reboot into windows, but still have all your data there.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
mearlus said:
Someone will need to pay for the porting in some fashion unfortunately and I don't know how much of a Mac user base would be required for wizards to see it profitable.
As has been stated previously, it wouldn't have cost much more at all if they'd just decided, from the start, to be system neutral.

A large company producing a Web application in 2008 that can't run on a Macintosh is embarrassing at best.

Last edited:

outsider

First Post
While I'm sure I'll find a way to make it work(whether through Wine or dual booting), I really would have appreciated a Linux version so I wouldn't have to jump through the hoops. I've been windows free for about 2 years now, and I would prefer to stay that way.

Aeolius

Adventurer
arcady said:
I also run Hexagon2 on my Mac for making 3D models...And DazStudio for posing assorted pre built figures...

add Bryce to that mix. :) (Though I use Poser instead of DAZ Studio)

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Kesh said:
Not everyone has made the switch to Intel-based Macs yet.

You don't need an x86 based mac to use VirtualPC, vmware, or just about any other Win* emulator.

Some of the speedier Gx family of processors should be more than able to emulate an x86 machine capable of booting XP so you can use DI stuff. Note, should be. IANAMU.

malraux

First Post
thedungeondelver said:

You don't need an x86 based mac to use VirtualPC, vmware, or just about any other Win* emulator.

Some of the speedier Gx family of processors should be more than able to emulate an x86 machine capable of booting XP so you can use DI stuff. Note, should be. IANAMU.

It's unlikely that an emulator could be fast enough to run 3d graphics.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads