• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon/DDI content for the Macintosh crowd?

wayne62682

First Post
It's not web-based, that's the whole problem. If it was web-based there's no reason it wouldn't be cross-platform; even if it's done in ASP.NET, it will be viewable from any browser. The main part of DDI is a DESKTOP application (the Virtual Gametable), which is why it's Windows-only - because they used DirectX and not OpenGL.

I agree it's a bad thing, but the issue isn't the "Web 2.0" part, its the non-web-based part.

Zinovia

Explorer
mearlus said:
I had a lot of problems with parallels with performance that I didn't even get around to trying WOW on it.
There's no reason to try running WoW on it, as WoW is fully Mac compatible. All the copies of the game come with both versions of the client. I suppose it would be interesting to see if you get better WoW performance running in BootCamp on an Intel Mac compared to running it under OSX, but anything running under an emulator such as Parallels will be slower.

As for D&DI, I have no intention of buying Windows to run on our one Intel Mac just for the sake of the Character Creator and other DirectX parts of D&DI. It's a shame that Mac users have to forego such a big chunk of D&DI content, but at least the web portions of it will be platform independent. We'll see, still waiting on more info before I decide.

Kesh

First Post
thedungeondelver said:

Good to know; I hadn't followed the development fork of it (which is weird to say because it started as a Mac app, yes?).
Yep, it was originally a Mac app. The next version of VPC was supposed to integrate 3D graphics, but that's when Microsoft bought out the app and killed all Mac development. It's now a Windows-only product.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads