Dragon Magazine #365's Character Concepts: Masterful optimization advice by WotC

Andor

First Post
The teleporter build is effective at teleporting all over the battlefield.

If he were at my table I think I'd kick his teleporting ass off a cliff and ask the player to make a character who actually does something however. :hmm:

I mean seriously, his big power play is that at 16th level he gets to do a 4 point close burst 1 when he teleports? Wow, that would be really impressive.... if he were a level 1 kobold minion.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I mean seriously, his big power play is that at 16th level he gets to do a 4 point close burst 1 when he teleports? Wow, that would be really impressive.... if he were a level 1 kobold minion.
It shoots through schools of minions.

Minions of any level.

Cheers, -- N

jimtillman

Explorer
The teleporter build is effective at teleporting all over the battlefield.

If he were at my table I think I'd kick his teleporting ass off a cliff and ask the player to make a character who actually does something however. :hmm:

MEH I think the porter could be a fun class to play like any of the options that dragon showed up I would change some of the choices but the concept could be fun

guivre

First Post
There's an old maxim about not looking for malice where stupidity could suffice. I'd extend that to not looking for ingenious stealth errata where errors could suffice.

It's not like WotC has a long history of iron-clad rules-abiding NPC creation.

Cheers, -- N

That would be Hanlon's Razor, or a paraphrase of it at least.

tiornys

Explorer
Has anybody got an alternate (and superior) gish build? more specifically, would anyone like to take a crack at "fixing" the article, following the same format and specific intention?
Is there any interest in this? I have a build and might be willing to take the time to type it up article style, but 30 posts have ignored this comment so far.

t~

Runestar

First Post
Swordmage will be released soon.

A warlord/wizard/spiral tower wizard PP/demigod combination is probably much better. You get int synergy between your wizard multiclass powers and your warlord abilities. Anything is better than paragon multiclassing, while demigod gives you more mileage than archmage (considering that you are still a fighter first and spellcaster second).

As for race, the new genasi gives +2 str/int, and so is a good fit.

Felon

First Post
Regarding the OP:

There is no inherent assumption that all fighters will use shields, since they do actually get the option for two-handed builds.

As to how effective it is to give a fighter magic missile, it raises the question of what the heck somebody's multi-classing for in the first place. A lot of folks are doing it to gain some diversity rather than just become better at what they already do well. In a fighter/wizard's case, that might simply mean boosting ranged effectiveness without requiring a weapon switch.

Bigwilly

First Post
Sticking a couple of points into dex instead of str and int will give access to the weapon feats although final str/int bonuses will be one less (not such a big deal).

It's the multiclassing that caught me out, especially at 11 - is he actually just multiclassing as a wizard or taking the spiral path paragon path?

Scalding

First Post
tiornys said:
Is there any interest in this? I have a build and might be willing to take the time to type it up article style, but 30 posts have ignored this comment so far.

I'm interested!

Last edited:

Remove ads