D&D 5E Dragon+ magazine is no more.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
People didn't like monthly book releases because of bloat but they want monthly releases of a magazine, full of stuff that is similar to what they would find in books? What's the difference?
I never had a single problem with monthly book releases. It's not like you have to buy all of them.

JEB

Legend
(Maybe if the D&D Beyond article strategy works for them we'll eventually get a "Best of D&D Beyond" collection out of it. That's the closest to a Dragon Magazine analogue I suspect we're likely to get in print).
Exclusive content on D&D Beyond is pretty clearly part of the strategy to grow its user base, so I doubt we'll ever see that content compiled into any other form.

GreyLord

Legend
The crazy thing to me is that they probably could do a “magazine”

A high end one that came out three times a year. I bet it’d sell like crazy.

I'm going to disagree with that idea. There are some companies that seem to be able to make the subscription model still work (National Geographic for example), but even 20 years ago, Dragon Magazine was offloaded because it was more trouble than it was worth in regards to getting enough income and subscribers to support the idea of printing it.

Things have only gotten worse for the print magazine and newspaper world these days.

They COULD go that way, but I don't think it would be successful enough to warrant the investment (just my opinion).

I DID love the Dragon Magazine when it was in print (and Dungeon as well), and personally I'd be all for getting them for myself if they were printed. When I look at it otherwise though, I just don't see it being worth that much to WotC and Hasbro to invest in such a venture.

That's just an opinion on the matter I presently hold though (I can be swayed if there are good arguments that are persuasive...perhaps).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The "official stamp of approval" is blindingly overrated. WotC is no better than any 3rd party company. Their holding of the IP is a paper shield at best.
Heh heh, yep. I always am amused when I see posters talk about how they want WotC to publish something so that they can be assured of quality over a 3rd party product, followed closely after by posters saying that WotC always follows lazy design by going lowest common denominator and taking no chances. ;)

It's like the only thing worth doing is WotC finding every obscure corner case of rules system or information that like 6 posters actually care about, then spending 2 years on design and playtesting on it to make sure it is exactly what those 6 want. And that needs to be done over and over and over and over and over and over again.

And of course right afterwards the 7th person will chime in on how it completely sucks. LOL.

Remove ads