D&D 5E Dragon+ magazine is no more.

JEB

Legend
It does say that it's the final issue in the current format. That implies that they are going to be doing something else to take its place.
I think the articles we've seen on D&D Beyond promoting Spelljammer and such, plus stuff like the temporary Vecna release, are the intended successors to D&D Beyond Dragon+. It's the same sort of material, except Dragon+ sometimes put out gameable material as PDFs.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I keep meaning to look and see if anyone trustworthy has a blog or website dedicated to curating DMsGuild content for the rest of us. That would be closer, I suppose.
I don't think it will happen, but the DMsGuild license terms would probably allow WotC to procure the best material on the site and publish thst in magazine format. Make sort of physical "DMsGuild Annuals" curated by WotC.

Dragon+ tried to do a bit of what you were looking for and highlight interstitial, but it like drinking from a firehouse, or following the 3.x monthly release schedule.

Yaarel

He Mage
I don't think it will happen, but the DMsGuild license terms would probably allow WotC to procure the best material on the site and publish thst in magazine format. Make sort of physical "DMsGuild Annuals" curated by WotC.
Yeah, but the D&D designers at WotC are already busy. They need others to comb thru and procure high quality material in the DMsGuild.

it like drinking from a firehouse
Exactly. I dont think it is something that one person can do. Nor ten people.

Combing thru the DMsGuild is an effort that needs to be open-sourced.

So much of the Guild is gated by cost. So only those who happen to purchase a product can really talk about it.

Again, it needs to be open-sourced.

JEB

Legend
Exactly. I dont think it is something that one person can do. Nor ten people.

Combing thru the DMsGuild is an effort that needs to be open-sourced.

So much of the Guild is gated by cost. So only those who happen to purchase a product can really talk about it.

Again, it needs to be open-sourced.
Well, there are reviews on DM Guild, if you have the patience to slog through them all individually. (They also seem to tend towards extremes, with glowing reviews being the most common, which isn't very helpful.)

There are also individual folks who try, like @Splinterverse on YouTube. (Haven't watched any, but they do a lot of reviews.) There have been some other such threads here on ENWorld with more in-depth reviews, but I can't find them offhand. I've also been trying to do more DM Guild reviews myself starting this year (and compiling them every month on my blog)... but it's like you say, that's only the stuff I bought.

Hussar

Legend
Never minding the DM's Guild material, there's another mountain of Homebrewery stuff and Reddit material as well. Some of it is bloody fantastic too. The Monster Hunters book is freaking fantastic. Tons of fun to use. And looks fairly professional as well. Totally, totally not passing the legal sniff test mind you, but, still freaking cool.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

Dragon+ tried to do a bit of what you were looking for and highlight interstitial, but it like drinking from a firehouse, or following the 3.x monthly release schedule.
Well, to be honest, I'd much rather have a third party or parties curate content over WotC. There's lots of great stuff on there that doesn't fit with their design philosophy.

Dire Bare

Legend
I'm surprised Dragon+ lasted 41 issues, and I have mixed feelings about its demise.

Its format was irritating, its appropriation of the "Dragon" moniker for a pseudo-magazine was frustrating. Most of its content wasn't particularly interesting . . . . but almost every issue had something worth reading. Bart Carroll worked hard to make the magazine interesting and worth reading, but was hobbled by the format and purpose of the zine.

Overall, I won't really miss it. Will WotC be bold and revive a more true successor to Dragon Magazine? Perhaps similar in format the Pathfinder Monthly? I doubt it, but here's to hoping!

Remove ads