• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Magic & the Dragonfire Adept base class

Ambrus

Explorer
I haven't seen a thread on this topic yet so I thought I'd start one. The book hit the streets yesterday (I bought it) and there's a preview on the WotC site Here.

Has anyone looked over the new base class? It clearly mimics the warlock in design, but is it too different or not different enough? Is it stronger or weaker than the warlock? Does it belong in your party? :)

Sammael

Adventurer
It's close enough to be considered a warlock variant. Without knowing the exact wording of draconic invocations, I can't say whether it's stronger or weaker than the warlock. One obvious issue is that unlike eldritch blast, Meta Spell-Like Ability feats don't apply to the breath weapon. Also, the breath weapon has much shorter range than the eldritch blast. These two items could be a problem and might make the Dragonfire Adept weaker than the Warlock. OTOH, the natural bonus to AC is nice.

One flavor issue I have is that the Dragonfire Adept can use his breath weapon more often than a real dragon...

Tzarevitch

First Post
They are VERY close. A few of the invocations are the same between the 2 clases although the warlock simply has more total invocations because of the blast modifying invocations. If I remember correctly (I don't have my book with me here at work) the dragonfire adept gains d8 hp/lvl. Also, if I remember correctly, the dragonfire adept gains breathweapon modifications as part of its class, the warlock buys them as invocations.

For all intents and purposes though, the classes are VERY similar. Personally, I think that the dragonfire adept is slightly better because of its area of effect abilities and its natural armor but the difference is pretty minimal as far as I can tell. Note also, there are actual warlock invocations in the book as well. Five if I remember correctly.

Tzarevitch

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Can I just say it's bizarre that kobolds are left out of the races for a Dragonfire Adept? A spontaneous caster that emulates dragons -- and no mention of kobolds? Hah?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Can I just say it's bizarre that kobolds are left out of the races for a Dragonfire Adept? A spontaneous caster that emulates dragons -- and no mention of kobolds? Hah?

Meepo killed them all! :p

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
You and Meepo Joe.

Me I like what this book has to offer so far, especially the Dragonfire Adept. Now that's something I could see in say my Scarred Lands game (in the event they land in the Dragons Lands say...)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
After reading the whole preview, I'm definitely putting a caste of dragonfire adepts into the kobold warren in my campaign. I don't like that the default breath weapon is fire, so I might change that to acid (so I can have ones that breathe acid without being level 5), since they're the followers of a green dragon.

The 1d6/round attack is challenging, but not worse than kobold archers, really.

My players are going to love these guys ...

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
I'd allow this, since I'd allow a warlock. Not a bad idea on adapting it, but I'm not sure I'll spend the money to buy this yet...

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Rem,

There are other things about this book you'll like.

Whiz,

There are feats that allow you change your breath weapon.

Remove ads