• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Magic & the Dragonfire Adept base class

Remathilis

Legend
Nifft said:
Warlock variant for sure, and it looks pretty good.

I wonder if it'd be viable to have an all-dragon party:
- Dragon Totem Barbarian
- Dragon Shaman
- Dragonfire Adept
- Paladin 4 / Sorc 1 / Dragon Disciple 10

I'm a bit annoyed that WotC ripped off my "Dragon Aspirant" naming scheme for dragon-ish PrCs... but what can one do. Imitation and flattery and all that.

Cheers, -- N

Don't Forget the Dragonsong Lyricist, Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries, Dracolyte, Dragonslayer, DragonStalker, Dragonrider, Dragonkilth, Dragonheart Mage, and Dragon Samurai.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Nightfall said:
Rem,

It's Dragon Kith, not Kilt. :p :)

Meepo comes out with bagpipes and a lager to kick butt. :)

Personally, I'd rather just alter the abilities a bit so that Warlocks can take them than have a whole new class that's almost exactly like the Warlock stylistically. Just throw in a line about dragon heritage like they do the sorcerer, and bam, done. Maybe even a page saved for other stuff.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
There are feats that allow you change your breath weapon.

Yes, but then that uses up a feat slot.

So is the design implication here that fire is "cheaper" or "weaker" than acid, cold, electricity, etc? The feats to replace the breath weapon's energy type vary in level requirement, so it seems clear that they think one energy type is better than another. I can buy this for sonic, since there are fewer sonic resistant options out there, but is acid really that much better than fire? Or cold for that matter?

Cheers,
Cam

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Fire is the most common energy type, and the most commonly resisted.

Cold is the second.

Electricity and Acid are tied for 3rd place.

Sonic is for hedgehogs -- I mean power-gamers. There are few commonly used things in core that resist Sonic.

I kinda agree that Fire should be worth less.

Cheers, -- N

Nifft said:
Warlock variant for sure, and it looks pretty good.

I wonder if it'd be viable to have an all-dragon party:
- Dragon Totem Barbarian
- Dragon Shaman
- Dragonfire Adept
- Paladin 4 / Sorc 1 / Dragon Disciple 10

I'm a bit annoyed that WotC ripped off my "Dragon Aspirant" naming scheme for dragon-ish PrCs... but what can one do. Imitation and flattery and all that.

Cheers, -- N
Oh man! Now I have ANOTHER campaign idea I'll never get to. Thanks a lot.

I might as well kick it up another notch and have it be an all kobold, all dragon-themed party in a campaign to prevent someone from causing an all out dragon war. Now that would be a fun campaign that I'm sure I'll get to run after the 4 or 5 other ideas I already have lined up. :p

pawsplay

Hero
The funny thing is, many outsiders have immunity to acid and/or electricity, but few have fire immunity. Electricity can be annoying to work with in that respect.

MadMaxim

First Post
I think it looks on par with the Warlock, but them getting immunity to paralysis and sleep effects at 19th level...? Come on, that's not worth anything at that point... Otherwise, it looks good. They trade armor proficiency for some natural armor, get a better HD, worse BAB and one more good save... To me it looks fairly balanced, but it will have to be tried out, of course.

frankthedm

First Post
Anyone with fond memories of Talisman:The Magical Quest Game? The Dragon king is now using the Crown Of Command. :lol:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dmag_gallery/100248.jpg
100248.jpg

The art gallery seems quite meh. There are a few good ones, but mostly it feels lacking, giving credence to the thrown together to make a buck insinuations.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads