• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Magic & the Dragonfire Adept base class

RodneyThompson

First Post
Sammael said:
Erm... I thought that WotC pretty much admitted at GenCon that Dragon magic was a last-minute project that was comissioned because of an opening in the product schedule? Something about a product with words "Dragon" and "Magic" being a guaranteed bestseller?

While you're right about the origins of the book's name, the project was hardly last-minute -- Owen and I had plenty of time to write the book, well within normal WotC standards.

Barak

First Post
Ambrus: i did spot that one, but they state in the class description that on that one angle, the invocations work differently from other spell-like abilities, so I gave it a pass, although it's sloppy mechanics.

Zaukrie said:
I don't recommend making your buy/no-buy decisions on editing. If you did, you may never buy another WotC product. They couldn't even get the paragraph promoting the product on their website correct. We've seen numerous examples of bad stat blocks. Even minis cards can have the wrong faction symbol on them. If you have problems with editing, you may want to get into another hobby.

The only pestering that'll work is not buying the books. And while I've seen lots of faulty editing before, this is just worse by an order of.. A lot. And it's "showcased" in the freaking previews! So I'm pestering them by saying "Eh. Not for me."

Barak

First Post
Moridin said:
While you're right about the origins of the book's name, the project was hardly last-minute -- Owen and I had plenty of time to write the book, well within normal WotC standards.
But apparently the editors barely got the time to look at it.

Crothian

First Post
Barak said:
Ambrus: i did spot that one, but they state in the class description that on that one angle, the invocations work differently from other spell-like abilities, so I gave it a pass, although it's sloppy mechanics.

How is that sloppy mechanics?

Barak

First Post
Crothian said:
Invocations are an exception. It seems pretty straight forward.

These examples of problems are pretty nit picky.

Not really that nit-picky, especially if you have nitpicky -players-.

Crothian said:
How is that sloppy mechanics

Perhaps "sloppy" is a bit strong. But when you use a well-established mechanic (spell-like ability) and include an exception (it has arcane failure), it has the high potential of leading to hassle and problems down the line.

"Hey.. You put on that chain-mail.. Don't your invocations have arcane failure? Let me check.. It's a spell-like ability.. Nope, you're good!"

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Barak said:

Having nit picky players makes it not nit picky anymore? It would seem admiting the players are nit pickers would just support the statement these are nit picks.

lukelightning

First Post
Dog Moon said:
Kobolds are discussed enough in RoD, probably. Not sure they need more lovin'.

I used to like kobolds, and still try to maintain a certain fondness for them, but I am honestly sick of 'em. I'm tired of the "kobolds=dragon" stuff, the "kobolds=sorcerer" stuff, and all that. I think kobolds should be no more draconic than a lizardfolk. Sure, they want to believe they are dragons, but they're not.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Barak said:
It's not an error or sloppiness, it's using the mechanics from Complete Arcane, which has been out long enough for the warlock to be a pretty well picked-over class by this point. Your lack of familiarity with it does not constitute an editing error on the part of WotC.

Sammael

Adventurer
Found the quote, it was on gamingreport.com: http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=21980

Dragon Magic, the next release, did not follow the normal production cycle. According to Wotc staff they had a hole in the schedule and found they have had their best sales from items with the words dragon or magic in the title, so they quickly developed a book with those two words as the title.

So, there's your source of insinuation. I'd suggest writing to GamingReport to let them know they were misinformed.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
lukelightning said:
I used to like kobolds, and still try to maintain a certain fondness for them, but I am honestly sick of 'em. I'm tired of the "kobolds=dragon" stuff, the "kobolds=sorcerer" stuff, and all that. I think kobolds should be no more draconic than a lizardfolk. Sure, they want to believe they are dragons, but they're not.
Which still makes them a natural for this book. Good lord, can you imagine the response when kobolds hear of dragonfire adepts?

"That should be US! WE KILL THEM DEAD!" :]

Remove ads