• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Magic & the Dragonfire Adept base class

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
guardianfallenangel said:
does this class seem overpowered compared to others? or is it just about right?
Pending a deeper look at the invocations, this looks like an average class. I imagine this class would work about the same as an unarmored archer would. Some of the invocations are VERY good, but since the character is so focused, they have almost no versatility. A first level dragonfire adept can breathe water, which is awesome, and fire 1d6 ranged attacks every round and ... that's it.

Honestly, I'd say most post-PHB classes look decidedly better than this class and the warlock. This (and the warlock) makes a nice beginner's class, though.

Since only the warlock is likely to get additional invocations (starting with the Complete Mage this fall), I think the dragonfire adept will slowly fall further and further behind the warlock as time goes on.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Owen, was the reason kobolds didn't get a draconic subrace was simply because that ground had been tread as recently as Races of the Dragon, or is there a kobold burnout factor with WotC developers and freelancers? (Both seem plausible and, frankly, reasonable.) Or is it something else?

I'd say it was more a matter of the coverage they got in Races of the Dragon. We didn;t want to ask people to buy duplicate material over, or have a new version of something that's already been published any more than necessary. I'm as big a fan of Meepo as anyone, but there didn;t seem to be a need for more dragon-spceific draconic material. Of course, nothing keeps kobolds from becoming dragonfire adepts (heck, I may run a game where only kobolds take that class), or using any other options we present.

Rodney and I were very concerned with trying to make sure we provided a range of information without overlapping other books too much, but also without assuming you have any particular book. With Draconomicon, Races of the Dragon, Complete Arcane and numerous other books touching on the same subjects, we wanted to go new places as much as possible, but at the same time not produce a book that was either nothing but new systems, or nothing but new material for old systems, or nothing but fluff and advice. I like the balance we hit, but obviously it won't be perfect for everyone.

I doubt it's kobold burnout. It -may- be a desire to ensure other races get some dragon-loving too.

Thanks for asking!

ForceUser

Explorer
Moridin said:
Those are some pretty offensive insinuations. I can assure you, the book went through the normal design and development process, with no slapdash work on anyone's part.
Par for the course with frank. Pay him no mind.

Ambrus

Explorer
Klaus said:
Can anyone tell me the draconic class features for the favored soul and the paladin?
The favored soul has to be devoted to either Bahamut or Tiamat and, at 3rd level, your character grows claws instead of gaining weapon focus with their deity's prefered weapon. The Paladin replaces his usual summoned mount at 5th level with a drakkensteed mount; a large-sized animal that is dragon-like.

Ambrus

Explorer
What do people think about dragonfire adepts using their various breath effects with other breath weapons they happen to have outside of their class ability? The wording of the ability simply refers to "your breath weapon".

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ambrus said:
What do people think about dragonfire adepts using their various breath effects with other breath weapons they happen to have outside of their class ability? The wording of the ability simply refers to "your breath weapon".
I think that's a smart synergy and not overpowering, since the effects are all prebalanced, but you'd have to apply all the penalties to all breath weapons.

Klaus

First Post
Ambrus said:
The favored soul has to be devoted to either Bahamut or Tiamat and, at 3rd level, your character grows claws instead of gaining weapon focus with their deity's prefered weapon. The Paladin replaces his usual summoned mount at 5th level with a drakkensteed mount; a large-sized animal that is dragon-like.

Re-he-heeeeally?

george_and_the_dragons.jpg

Me said:
George And The Dragons (2005)
I write a monthly column on the largest RPG magazine in Brazil, Dragão Brasil, about d20 stuff. One of the columns introduced the dragonsteed, a horse-shaped dragon created by good draconic gods to serve as steeds to mighty paladins (just an adaptation of half-dragon heavy warhorses). To illustrate the dragonsteed, I made a homage to Saint George, considered the patron saint by brazilian roleplaying gamers.

Serendipity is where it´s at! :lol:

Remove ads