D&D 4E Dragon Mountain (4e conversion - complete!)

Cleon

Legend
I took your advice @Cleon and put together a skill challenge for next session when the PCs explore the merchant's quarter. I've attached it as a PDF.

It's been a lot of work putting together this conversion, but I've got to say you guys helped significantly and the "open" design has been fun. :) We're set to finish our playthru of the conversion by March/April, and then I will upload the play-tested "final" document. Bear in mind that my party is taking the swiftest course thru the Mountain so there are some micro-regions that were not explored and therefore not play-tested.

Enough with the flattery!

Hmm, I was thinking of something with a bit more detail on the individual challenges. Also 10 successes/3 failures seems too long to me, especially if the PCs are just trying to "walk through" the market. If they have side-goals do these add success/failure points to the skill challenge?

I was thinking more something like 4-6 successes/2 failures, plus a random "contest table" that progresses depending on the failure rate.

e.g.

Challenge Contest Table
Roll 1d10 if the PCs have no failures, 1d6+6 if the PCs have 1 failure.
1 Close Encounter of the Kobold Kind - One of you bumps into a kobold, jeopardizing your disguise.
2 Where the Heck are We? - You lose you're way ?
3 Kobold Brat (pickpocket/beggar) Befriend this "street urchin" and she can help you with a later challenge.
4 Traffic Jam - A damaged lizard-drawn wagon blocks your way? Circumvent? Clear it out of the way? Better do something before a patrol turns up.
5 Non-Kobold Party - A group of traders/mercenaries of the same species as you're disguised as. They want to be "friendly".
6 Kobold Trader - You have to interact with a kobold market stall to avoid suspicion.
7 Persistent Merchant - A kobold trader starts following the PCs around. Either they're suspicious, or think the PCs are easy marks and wants to sell them something.
8 Kobold Market Guard - bribe, avoid, or silence?
9 Wandering Monster - kill, tame, or buy from its owner?
10 Runaway Slave - ?
11 Chief Harlichak - ?
12 Patrol - A patrol of kobolds is looking for "Big Feet Intruders". Avoid them or fail the challenge.

Note you can only roll an 11 or 12 if you've already got 1 failure, so if the PCs fail a Patrol/Chief Harlichak challenge they get 2 failures and fail the Skill Challenge.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=57383]Cleon[/MENTION]
I like your complications/mini-events - really gets across a dirty cramped chaotic kobold market. Consider them added.

You raise an interesting question: do pursuing side goals count for/against the success/failure of the skill challenge?

My inclination is "yes" because instead of the mini-event/complication being determined by a random roll, it is the player' agenda determining the mini-event. But in both cases the goal is the same: don't draw attention and maintain their disguise.

For example, if Zolar (the wizard) decides to follow leads on his long-lost grimoire, he might deal with Krik-Tik-It, a kobold merchant specializing in stolen/lost adventurers' gear, leading to some kind of social challenge.

OTOH, if Zolar is primarily concerned with just helping the party get thru the market, we'd roll on random complications table and (say we rolled a '7') find that the dragon Infyrana cast a ritual causing the pieces of her former mate (dragon jerky, organs, and blood carried by PCs) to burn red hot. Does Zolar have a spell he can creatively adapt to counter this?

EDIT: It's possible I'll need to track each players' success, individually, for example if someone draws a lot of attention to themself but the rest stay hidden...I think there are guidelines in DMG2 for that.

Cleon

Legend
@Cleon
I like your complications/mini-events - really gets across a dirty cramped chaotic kobold market. Consider them added.

Glad to be of service.

You raise an interesting question: do pursuing side goals count for/against the success/failure of the skill challenge?

My inclination is "yes" because instead of the mini-event/complication being determined by a random roll, it is the player' agenda determining the mini-event. But in both cases the goal is the same: don't draw attention and maintain their disguise.

Yes, I'd be inclined to have the "Side-Quests" success or failure incorporate into the overall success of the skill failure. Maybe not in a simple "tot up the successes and failures" way, though. Maybe with an additional layer of resolution?

However, I can see situations where the success/failure rates of the Side-Quests don't add to the main Skill Challenge.

For example, say Zolar meets Krik-Tik-It in the back of a tent and fails the negotiation roll but the grimoire trader completely fails to see through the wizard's disguise and just thinks Zolar is a hobgoblin sorcerer who won't make a deal. That's a failure on the Side-Quest, but it shouldn't count as a failure for the "Get Through The Market" challenge.

Contrariwise, if Zolar gets a juicy clue for about his grimoire but is exposed as a human wizard, that's a success on the Side-Quest but a failure for the Skill Challenge.

It may be more likely that Zolar gets in the good graces of Krik-Tik-It (a success for both the Side-Quest and Skill Challenge) or is exposed and attacked as a "murderous human wizard" (a failure for both), but it seems prudent to consider the other possibilities.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=57383]Cleon[/MENTION] Yes indeed. You are right of course.

The open-ended nature of skill challenges is why I like them, but I find designing them (as in writing them down) to be difficult. Rather than account for things on the players' side I just focus on having enough DM material to adapt and make it fun.Thats why my skill challenges look very different from those presented in DMG or RULES COMPENDIUM, with random complication/failure tables and such.

Cleon

Legend
The open-ended nature of skill challenges is why I like them, but I find designing them (as in writing them down) to be difficult. Rather than account for things on the players' side I just focus on having enough DM material to adapt and make it fun.Thats why my skill challenges look very different from those presented in DMG or RULES COMPENDIUM, with random complication/failure tables and such.

Sure, the trick is not letting the rules get in the way of the fun. I tend to design a creature or encounter and not use much of the stats when I actually run a game, but just use the concepts and round-figure numbers as a basis for making something up that seems amusing.

Well, amusing for me - not necessarily the players. :angel:

Quickleaf

Legend
A little late getting it posted, but we ran the kobold market scenario this past friday and it was a lot of fun, a bit zany, but fun all the same. Here's the session log...

[sblock=Session #9]
So...their gelatinous cubes are trapped.

The plan was perfect: the party would disguise themselves to sneak thru the kobold Underdark market. In a matter of minutes the party transformed themselves into: A hobgoblin astride a worg. A succubus. A drow. A little troll. A masked gladiator. And the paladin became an orcish blackguard. They were bounty hunters employed by the dragon, come to pit their captive gladiator in the kobolds’ arena. Crusher – their recent trophy kobold captive – was on a solo adventure with Raphael, the party bard, sneaking through as a duo to minimize the party’s presence. Alas, a bard would have come in handy.

Ardell dropped into “orc-speak” with the first kobold they encountered, going into detail on their fabricated bounty hunter story, only to be censored by Lily the “succubus” who reminded him astutely as all eyes were on the party that: “Less is more.”

Trolls, lizardmen, kuo-toa, duergar, and hobgoblins wended their way alongside the countless kobolds, through dirty dingy market stalls. There was scarcely any light in most of the market, making Zolar’s “darklight” ritual all the more helpful. Making their way thru the market, the PCs noted a captive dwarf being led to what was presumably the arena. Ak-Ak-Ak son of Ak-Ak attempted to sell them superior trap components, but the party brusquely passed him by. So far, their cover story seemed to be working. Kirito white-knuckled his restraints, chaffing at the indignity of playing “gladiator slave”, and imagined painting the room red with kobolds. Or was it green?

The party dealt with a pushy kobold merchant dealing in dire weasels who alluded to their fancy magic items being illegal in the market. Several party members theorized this was due to the presence of a red dragon, whose greed for such things is legendary. Tristan, intrigued by the merchant’s claims, instructed one of the dire weasels to “fetch kobold.” The dire weasel made a top-notch effort to fulfill on the command, and Tristan was sold, purchasing three of the weasels. Sadly, only the one he’d named “Pramatie” was long for this world. One would be dissolved in a gelatinous cube, the other eaten by Vitejie indulging in his worg nature.

Shortly thereafter, Miri spotted her old tribesman Vao’es who’d been enslaved and forced to make arrows for the kobolds…however, in her troll disguise Miri was unrecognized. She and Zolar brokered a trade for the “slave” in exchange for a glowing green gem. Ardell sold their cover by lying to Vao’es that he was now their captive…and went on to enumerate the rights and privileges he would enjoy in their custody that the kobolds did not afford him. Once again Lily grimaced – it would appear that when paladins lied, they did it kindly.

It was at this point that a she-hobgoblin approached Ardell and questioned him about his armor, to which Ardell readily replied “I killed a paladin and took his armor. Best day of my life.” After revealing that she had done the same, the she-hobgoblin revealed a holy symbol of the Knights of the Chalic – Ardell’s own holy order! On a closer look, he saw the she-hobgoblin had human eyes! Under the pretense of conducting a backroom deal, the party was ushered into a side chamber by the “she-hobgoblin” who revealed herself to be Sister Clarice, a knight hospitaler like Ardell. Sister Clarice tended Ardell’s wounds and gave the party a healing potion (replacing the one stolen from Lily’s pouch by kobold pickpockets), then explained her mission was to uncover evidence that Lord Napina of Harker’s Ferry had cut a deal with the kobolds: he would supply a steady stream of slaves if the kobolds stopped their raids. It would seem the PCs had prematurely placed Lord Napina back in power after the incident with the trolls…

“What, you mean this?” asked Zolar nonchalantly, pulling out a ledger the party had looted from the kobold temple. It was exactly what Sister Clarice had been looking for, and in exchange for turning it over to Clarice, the PCs asked that she take to the surface Vao’es, who had been happily reunited with Miri but was in no condition to fight kobolds let alone a dragon, and the two corpses of Kirito’s former adventuring companions. Before departing, Vao’es revealed to Miri that their tribal totem had been carried by kobolds to the lair of the elder red dragon Infyrana. Bidding the party farewell, Sister Clarice/the “she-hobgoblin” clasped hands with Ardell, then disappeared into the market.

Lily and Tristan had separated from the party for a moment, overhearing some kuo-toa mention the “gifts of the queen”, and did a little trading on the side. Between Lily’s enticing wiles, and Tristan’s overpowering gaze, the kobold scavengers turned over a pair of luxurious spark slippers for a sack of worthless gems…which seemed strangely valuable at the time!

It seemed the party was in the clear after leaving the market. But soon kobold drummers were spotted ushering the entourage of Harlichak, Chief of Clan Gnarled Fang. Peering closely, the PCs noticed bits of floating metal ahead of the drummers. Suspicious of a trap, the party sent one of the dire weasels ahead, and sure enough the weasel twitched as it was engulfed by a gelatinous cube which killed it in seconds. Thinking to simply avoid the procession, the PCs tried backing into a minor passage only to find another gelatinous cube being pushed forward by kobold musicians. Zolar dived through a side door and would have fallen into a pit trap with a gelatinous cube were it not for a quick spell of floating. Retreating back to the secret room where they’d met Sister Claric, the party regrouped.

That’s when the kobold commandos arrived with a kobold wyrmpriest. Kirito, in his mask, saw the wyrmpriest glare at him and (in Draconic) say “that’s him!” Just then Kirito shut the door and pressed his back into it as several javelins thudded against the other side. Kirito breathed a sigh of relief, but it was fleeting as the kobolds soon began smoking the party out…by lightning the door (and Kirito’s back) on fire. Realizing that their cover hand’t been blown and that these kobolds were only enforcing market rules which the PCs had unwittingly broken, the party wisely kept their cool and focused on taking out the commandos and gelatinous cubes with minimum collateral damage. Miri expertly slaughtered the kobold commandos, while Ardell talked down the wyrmpriest with a surprisingly good bluff. “He’s finally catching on,” Lily muttered under her breath.

Zolar calmly stepped in front of Chief Harlichak’s procession, noticing the captured elven slave in the rear, and lifted his orb. The gelatinous cube at the front was knocked back, engulfing the chief…however Chief Harlichak’s potions of growth were consumed by the cube in the process, causing the cube to double in size and engulf the entire kobold procession – including the elven captive!

On the other front, Lily and Tristan made short work of another gelatinous cube, pushing it back into some kobolds. When Lily blasted the cube to oblivion, two small metal spheres suspended in it fell to the ground and cracked open, pouring out alchemical gases which reacted and formed a cloud of sparks and flame. Thankfully, only kobolds were nearby at the time. “So…their gelatinous cubes are trapped,” Lily informed the rest of the party. Zolar was flabbergasted… Only kobolds would be so devious.

Kirito, realizing the elven captive was indeed Giliana Brightbough, his former adventuring companion, pulled out a healing potion and leapt into the gelatinous cube, administering the potion and helping Giliana escape (Zolar’s mage hand helped as well)…only now he was stuck in the cube! Impressed at the heroic (if sticky) display of their companion, Zolar and Lily warned Kirito to get clear of the trapped cube. Again with a little mage hand help, Kirito ejected himself from the slimy cube as twin blasts of thunder and lightning erupted from the spellcasters’ hands, frying the cube and triggering the trap. In a Hollywood-esque moment, a slime-covered Kirito and Giliana leaped clear of the exploding gelatinous cube.

After exchanging bitter greetings with Giliana, it became clear that the elf had suffered much and intended to leave the “cursed” Mountain as quickly as possible. Incredulous that the party intended to confront the elder red dragon Infyrana, Giliana concluded Kirito had finally found a group of adventurers as crazy as himself. Giving her some supplies and a spare magic sword, Kirito wished her good fortune and advised her to look out for Sister Clarice/the “she-hobgoblin” on her way to the surface.

Resuming their disguises, the party headed toward the kobold’s arena. What awaited them there? What had become of Miri’s missing monkey? And where were Raphael and Crusher?
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
We have three sessions of Dragon Mountain left, the last one coincidentally on International Table Top day :)

One of our players (the new guy, a.k.a. The Paladin) is leaving and I wanted to wrap up this adventure to give him a complete sense of the game. Currently the group has been getting thru about 1-2 micro-regions per session, so this means I will need to cut/merge some material to squeeze everything in. This part of the campaign began with a dragon fight and Dragon Mountain will end with one, so it'll be nicely book-ended. The players will be able to reflect on what they learned in the last fight and stretch their resources and wits to the limit.

Heres what I'm thinking (any feedback is greatly appreciated :) ):

3/15 - Merge the Kobold King/Palace scenario with the Arena/Patrician's Quarter, and begin a "high threat" challenge for the rest of the dungeon with kobolds basically pouring out of the walls. Possibly have a misshap/trap in the Arena cause the floor to break and deposit te PCs in the Underground River.

3/22 - Run the Mines and the Collapsed Tunnel/Storehouses as an especially dangerous dungeon crawl, with kobold traps & guerilla tactics taken to a ludicrous level. Include respite or possible betrayal with shady dwarves who've been foreshadowed for a while now.

3/30 (extra long session) - Cut out the Wyrmling Chamber/Planeshift Chamber, or maybe simply leave it as background flavor. Run the the Approach to the Lair (a gauntlet of traps) and the showdown with Infyrana. She is a customized elder red dragon (level 22 solo controller) facing a party of 13th level PCs...I am musing two tricks to even up the fight:
1) First, the PCs have tons of action points accumulated. I'm doing to remove the action point per encounter limits for the final encounter (and let them know about it next session).
2) Second, the paladin is going to get some crazy boons/blessings to power him up during the fight...I spoke with the player and he wants his PC to go out in a blaze of glory, so it's setting the scene for a heroic sacrifice.

Quickleaf

Legend
We're rapidly approaching the end of Dragon Mountain, culminating in an epic confrontation with Infyrana the spellcasting red dragon in 2 weeks on International Table Top Day!

But I need your help editing/creating this dragon :)

I started another thread to discuss the upper solo level limit for the paragon PCs (without spoilers) over here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?335313-Upper-level-limit-solo-encouter-for-this-party

Here are is the tentative encounter, stats & stages for "Infyrana" as a 3-stage boss monster...what do you think?

Encounter Map
PZOSQW30026_500.jpeg

There are three elevated ledges in the room which Infyrana can fly between (the cavern ceiling is about 150-200'), the one on the northern wall has most of her treasure hoard (though some cursed items are scattered throughout the cavern). A large fissure runs through the middle, dropping down into the darkness and into an underground river system. The two large braziers have magical flame which amplifies fire attacks made next to them, but can be destroyed explosively.

[sblock=Stage 1]
During stage 1, I decided the cursed items in Infyrana's treasure hoard would feature prominently so that she uses her hypnotic gaze to lure PCs toward one of six cursed items scattered throughout the chamber. She is supremely arrogant during this stage, having scryed on the PCs at several points throughout the dungeon, and she has cast the Protection from Energy ritual on herself to minimize damage from the first cold attack to target her.

infyrana1.png

[/sblock]

[sblock=Stage 2]
During stage 2, kobold dragonshields (level 10 minions) and/or red dragon wyrmlings (as level 9 soldiers) enter the fray, summoned by Infyrana's terrible roar. She activates Otiluke's Resilient Sphere during this stage, either on herself (so she can take a second wind by rolling in her treasure hoard) or on an irksome PC.

infyrana2.png

[/sblock]

[sblock=Stage 3]
During stage 3, Infyrana becomes an insubstantial creature of pure flame and begins desperately grabbing & activating magic items from her hoard. If she is getting beaten badly, Infyrana attempts to flee down thru the fissure. If she is killed, environmental diffusion (from the Draconomicon) happens with some kind of cave-in / gas hazard which the can mitigated thru magic... or the PCs can grab as much treasure as they can carry and flee.

infyrana3.png

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
We're rapidly approaching the end of Dragon Mountain, culminating in an epic confrontation with Infyrana the spellcasting red dragon in 2 weeks on International Table Top Day!

But I need your help editing/creating this dragon :)

Hmm, my first thought is what's the "in game" explanation as to how Infyrana can turn insubstantial? Has she transformed herself using some kind of ritual or phylactery like a lich, or is it just some kind of spell-like ability and she saves it for emergency escapes. Sorry for the question, I was too lazy to dig out my copy of the adventure and check whether the AD&D original version of this dragon had the gaseous form spell prepped.

My second thought is that there's an awful lot of fire-based attacks. I know she's a Red Dragon and all, but it wouldn't hurt to give her a couple of attacks based on other damage types. Maybe a sonic damage Roar of some kind and an non-fire attack spell. Why not a cone of cold or lightning bolt instead of a fireball?

Thirdly, the Stage 1 and Stage 2 both involve Infyrana fighting a "stand off" battle based on her ranged attacks. Perhaps you could make the Stage 2 a short-range fight, with her using close bursts and more melee attacks.

Well she is a Controller, so I suppose she would favour ranged attacks, but it doesn't seem that "dragoney".

Hmm...

Does she have to be a Controller in all her Stages, how about if she has a different Role in each stage -maybe a Controller in Stage 1, a Soldier in Stage 2, and a Skirmisher in Stage 3? It might work easier if you swap around a few powers - if she had Resilient Sphere in Stage 1 that stage'd last long enough for her to use a couple of cursed items. I'm also thinking she might have some "bodyguards" in Stage 1, either to help pin down the enemy while she uses her long-range attacks or absorb condition-inflicting attacks.

Finally, I think she could do with a bite attack and possibly a tail attack in at least one stage. Maybe a "Tail Sweep" that knocks targets prone and a "Dragon Frenzy" were she makes multiple attacks (bite, claws, tail slap et cetera).

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks for the comments :)

Hmm, my first thought is what's the "in game" explanation as to how Infyrana can turn insubstantial? Has she transformed herself using some kind of ritual or phylactery like a lich, or is it just some kind of spell-like ability and she saves it for emergency escapes. Sorry for the question, I was too lazy to dig out my copy of the adventure and check whether the AD&D original version of this dragon had the gaseous form spell prepped.
No, the original version of Infyrana did not have gaseous form (actually her highest level 5 Mage spell was wall of iron). I was using the Pyromancer PP from Dragon magazine to steal powers from and one of the powers from that PP involves turning into living flame. "In-story" Infyrana possesses the Cinder of Gazra (an elemental magic item) which she has attuned to herself to allow her to invoke a ritual turning her into living flame. 

My second thought is that there's an awful lot of fire-based attacks. I know she's a Red Dragon and all, but it wouldn't hurt to give her a couple of attacks based on other damage types. Maybe a sonic damage Roar of some kind and an non-fire attack spell. Why not a cone of cold or lightning bolt instead of a fireball?
Yes, you're probably right I should vary her spells a bit more. My first iteration of design I made Infyrana as a Pyromancer, but I'm reconsidering that now.

Thirdly, the Stage 1 and Stage 2 both involve Infyrana fighting a "stand off" battle based on her ranged attacks. Perhaps you could make the Stage 2 a short-range fight, with her using close bursts and more melee attacks.
She needs to be a controller or artillery in stage 1 to take advantage of the chasm, casting spells as the PCs work to rech her. However in stage 2 she could move to closer range I suppose...

Does she have to be a Controller in all her Stages, how about if she has a different Role in each stage -maybe a Controller in Stage 1, a Soldier in Stage 2, and a Skirmisher in Stage 3? It might work easier if you swap around a few powers - if she had Resilient Sphere in Stage 1 that stage'd last long enough for her to use a couple of cursed items. I'm also thinking she might have some "bodyguards" in Stage 1, either to help pin down the enemy while she uses her long-range attacks or absorb condition-inflicting attacks.
That's a good idea! I really want to emphasize her spellcasting, however, as that is her main schtick and what mechanically differentiates from the PCs' last fight against a dragon (a close-combat brute).

The servants she has are kobolds and red dragon wyrmlings (and possibly bound fire elementals). I suppose I could introduce those earlier in the fight... The cursed treasure is meant to slow/hinder the PCs as 'bodyguards' of a sort.

Finally, I think she could do with a bite attack and possibly a tail attack in at least one stage. Maybe a "Tail Sweep" that knocks targets prone and a "Dragon Frenzy" were she makes multiple attacks (bite, claws, tail slap et cetera).
Mmm, yes I like all of that. This is what I did for the last dragon boss fight and I was thinking something different was in order for Infyrana...

Remove ads