D&D 4E Dragon Mountain (4e conversion - complete!)

Quickleaf

Legend
Forgot to post the latest update on the campaign. Basically the PCs decided to assault the Patrician's Quarter where the Kobold King and his entourage happened to be enjoying some stoney "dwarf-on-basilisk" arena action, and a massive fight ensued. Still doing the write-up, but sometimes pictures speak louder than words...

Most of the chamber was pitch black. When the vampire/cavalier flew over to the balcony he was surprised to find a mass of kobold commandos and the Kobold King! Note: the kobolds on the far right were being measured against a carnival ride like yardstick, those too tall were turned away; hmm... ;)
IMG_0697.jpg

The vampire/cavalier and the elementalist fly above the fight against 50+ kobolds and nefarious Kobold Wizard!
Hand-drawn map by yours truly.
IMG_0698.jpg

By the end of the night, the board was looking surprisingly kobold-free...as the Kobold King had fled to the south...but wait...is that an Enormous Carrion Crawler in the arena?
IMG_0699.jpg

I use monster cards (as suggested by Mike Shea at SlyFlourish), and keeping track was quite a challenge in this battle. What possessed the PCs to engage in an outright assault? I was pleasantly mystified.
IMG_0700.jpg

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Just finished a fun session tonight - kobolds and mines, what could be better? ;)

The adventure log is up over here: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/banner-marches/adventure-log

As inspiration for this session, I enjoyed reading [MENTION=2067]Kamikaze Midget[/MENTION]'s "Mythopoetry of Kobolds" article (http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?591-Risky-Rich-The-Mythopoetry-of-Kobolds). I think I did an average job incorporating those ideas, but if we had more time I certainly would have liked to.

Prepping the boss fight against Infyrana for next week...writing her up as three 14th level solos using AngryDM's 3-stage boss monster guidelines, and gamefiend's Worldbreaker concept, with lots of interesting and magical terrain, and plentiful minions to call upon. Will post her finished stats for review soon.

Quickleaf

Legend
Next session is our final session of Dragon Mountain!

So, what can the party expect? Well, for starters there is a kobold horde pursuing them. I intended this to be about 300-400 kobolds, but since they opted to rush through the last sections of the dungeon, I think around 200 kobolds is fair since the horde hasn't gathered full strength yet. I'm running this as a solo encounter...but one where the battlemap is largely irrelevant. The basic idea is to make skills and choices matter, rather than minis & maps. If the PCs take a short rest, the horde may be able to surprise them after, but they can (more or less) choose the battlefield. If they press ahead, the horde catches up with them later, without chance of surprise, though the circumstances/battlefield won't be under their control.

Here's the Kobold Horde stat block for review. I had a lot of fun designing a monster horde that still felt like you were fighting cowardly, sneaky kobolds ;)

[sblock=Kobold Horde]
Kobold Horde
Level 9 Solo Skirmisher (XP 2,000)
Zone-based natural humanoid (swarm)

HP 368; Bloodied 184
AC 23; Fortitude 21; Reflex 22; Will 21
Speed 6
Resist half damage from melee and ranged attacks; Vulnerability 10 against close and area attacks
Saving Throws +5; Action Points (None)
Initiative +10
Perception +13, Darkvision

Traits
From All Sides: The kobold horde occupies an enormous undefined area, and it can move into and thru enemies' spaces and does not provokes opportunity attacks. It is considered to be adjacent to all enemies in the encounter at all times, and has combat advantage from flanking on opportunity attacks unless the enemy succeeds a DC 25 Insight/Perception check.

Swarm Attack: At the start of each of the horde's turns, all enemies in the area are grabbed, and the kobold horde does not need to spend a minor action to sustain a grab. An enemy starting their turn grabbed by the horde takes 5 damage.

Horde Immunities: The horde is immune to all conditions that don't originate from area effect powers, though conditions like dazed and stunned cause it to let go of the nearest grabbed creature. In addition, the horde may take 92 damage to shake off any condition.

Standard Actions
Any Weapon You've Got! (melee) • At-Will
Attack: +14 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8 + 8 damage, and the target is knocked prone and grabbed. Against targets granting combat advantage, deal +2d8 damage.

Overwhelming Surge • At-Will
Effect: Make an "Any Weapon You've Got!" attack against each enemy in the encounter. If an enemy was disarmed of a magic weapon (and it hasn't been reclaimed yet) then one of these attacks is made with that weapon.

Move Actions
The Horde Presses Down • At-Will
Effect: Each enemy in the area makes a DC 25 Dungeoneering, Intimidate, Perception, or Stealth check. A failed check indicates the PC has been separated from the rest of the party, in addition to the following guidelines:
If a PC fails Dungeoneering, they’re forced into a tight passage until the end of their next turn (their speed is halved, -5 attack, and grant combat advantage).
If a PC fails Intimidate, they’re restrained until end of their next turn and the kobold horde gets a free basic attack.
If a PC fails Perception, they’re forced into a trapped passage (roll on Random Trap Table) until the end of their next turn.
If a PC fails Stealth, any light source they have is lost and they are forced into a dark passage until the end of their next turn.

Minor Actions
Swarm the Fallen (melee) • At-Will
Attack: All prone enemies in the encounter; +14 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + 8 damage and disarmed of one held item (if a light source it is extinguished).

Skills Stealth +13, Dungeoneering +13, Thievery +13
Str 9 (+3) Dex 18 (+8) Wis 13 (+5)
Con 12 (+5) Int 9 (+3) Cha 9 (+3)
Alignment evil Languages Common, Draconic
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Just ran what turned out to be our pen-ultimate session of Dragon Mountain. Ridiculously fun :)

EDIT: The Kobold Horde actually played pretty well, though I had to ad-lib several things (such as any hit counting as killing a kobold, for purposes of PC powers). One of the players said with a grin "this encounter smells like fudge", but everyone was really into it and made for a very different sort of challenge. Almost a hybrid between a swarm solo & a skill challenge.

Here's the adventure log: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/banner-marches/adventure-log/session-12

Actually we had an extra-long session and did get into the dragon fight, but I'll put the entire dragon fight into the next session log since it's spilling over.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Some photos from the first stage of the dragon fight...

IMG_0713.jpg

Infyrana takes to the wing surrounded by her Minor Globe of Invulnerability, while most of the party is shrouded by Zolar's mass invisibility (the Lego square). Lily the elementalist perches on a rocky ledge and snipes with frost lightning bolts. Meanwhile, the fighter Kirito finds the treasure hoard unguarded save for a...glyph of warding?!? Despite that, he pulled out a Greater Dancing Short Sword triumphantly.

IMG_0715.jpg

After Lily's near brush with death in the dragon's jaws, the party pummeled Infyrana in close quarters. The dragon teleported back to her treasure mound to discover some things were missing... Legos saved the day again, when Kirito's newly acquired Greater Dancing Short Sword made its debut. Go Legos!

Quickleaf

Legend
A quick note to say my players finished Dragon Mountain tonight. I'll be posting a write up of the dragon fight finale soon, but wanted to officially invite anyone in the group to drop in with their thoughts. I have no more DM secrets for Dragon Mountain anymore ;)

Give me till May to get the final draft PDF uploaded.

Any questions or comments? Fire away.

Cleon

Legend
What's the file size limit for PDFs uploaded to ENWorld? Right now it's at 3.3 MB.

No idea, but I suspect it's not big enough for the single file version.

Interested parties will likely have to PM you and ask nicely to be emailed a copy once it's ready.

Interested parties like me (hint hint).

Quickleaf

Legend
Finally got around to writing up the dragon fight finale in an abbreviated form:

[sblock=How to kill a dragon]
The air was hotter here, not like the rest of Dragon Mountain. Descending the sloping passage, the party entered Infyrana’s lair. It was a vast cavern, the ceiling beyond the range of their sunrods, with only the occasional stalactite hinting at its existence. Four massive stone columns supported its weight. To the left and right were 40’ ledges, accessible by natural stone stairs. Across a 20’ wide, unfathomably deep chasm was another 40’ ledge overflowing with treasure, on top of which the dragon Infyrana was curled gazing into a crystal ball which recounted scenes of the party’s journey thru Dragon Mountain…from the perspective of kobolds and various scrying sensors.

Zolar’s mass invisibility spell seemed to be working well enough. Several pieces of treasure were scattered around the lair almost haphazardly, as if a wanton gesture of the dragon’s copious wealth. Raphael noticed a crown of charisma and a ring of fire resistance nearby, which he stealthily grabbed and donned.

“So, you survived the Mountain…” Infyrana stretched her wings, revealing a tremendous array of orange, red, and yellow colors, fading to black wingtips. She shook off some coins from her back, her massive wickedly curved horns nearly the length of two men, and craned her neck to peer across the room trying to locate the invisible party.

Zolar called out to the dragon, “Why did your mate Kaldwarag attack the king’s castle Tir Uldeir?”

“Kaldwarag was a young fool, lured by the promises of the Cult of the Dragon, lured by immortality as a dracolich. He should have known it was only a matter of time before the Cult betrayed him…used the Red Orb of Dragonkind to command him to attack Tir Uldeir.”

Raphael commented nonchalantly, “Kaldwarag as a mate, really? Was that the best you could do?” However, suddenly Raphael did not feel right, and reaching his hand to his ear, felt the crown he’d donned turning him into gold! It was cursed! Wrestling with the crown, he managed to tear it free before he became a statue.

As Infyrana and Raphael exchanged taunts, the party began to fan out to get into position for the fight. Sensing Tristan’s stealthy advance in bat-form, Infyrana roared, “Come no further unless you wish for a fight that will only end in your deaths! I am old, out of practice at fighting adventurers, but I am not without tricks. For I am Infyrana the Majestic, Master of Magic, Ruler of Dragon Mountain!”

Raphael grimaced, “Wow, this dragon’s even more egotistical than me. I really don’t like her.”

Tristan called out, “Infyrana, cast aside this mad quest to become a dracolich. It is folly.”

Infyrana arched her scaly brow, “Ah, vampire, it was Kaldwarag’s dream, not mine. He believed the promises of the self-styled Wyrmlord and the Cult. I have no such illusions, no your succubus companion dispelled me of such notions long ago.”

Tristan mused, thinking of the Raven Queen’s quest, “It would seem I have been misinformed.”

“You have bested my kobolds and their traps, you did far better than Kirito’s former party who perished in my Mountain like insects.”

Kirito drew his blades. “We’ve already killed one dragon. You’re just a number to us…”

“Is that so, adventurer?” Chortled Infyrana over-confidently. “Let’s put that to the test.” And a bright blue orb surrounding the aged red dragon, a minor globe of invulnerability protecting her from ranged attacks.

And with that, the battle was joined.

It was vicious and bloody, and without mercy. Some of the highlights included:

• Lily and Zolar breaking the dragon’s Minor Globe of Invulnerability with focused fire and an out-of-the-box use of a Rod of Beguiling.
• Lily getting ravaged in the dragon’s jaws and nearly dying, but making a comeback later to punish the dragon with devastating amounts of frost and lightning damage.
• Kirito connecting with six hits in one attack against the dragon.
• Zolar blinding the dragon and engaging in a bit of a wizard’s duel involving a spell quite familiar to him: Visions of Avarice.
• Kirito stealing a dancing sword and Anduvaar’s Blade from the dragon’s hoard, then returning to be invisible while tossing Anduvaar’s Blade to Ardell.
• Ardell keeping the party alive at one point with lay on hands.
• Raphael discovering the ring of fire resistance was actually a ring of fire vulnerability, and contemplating cutting his finger off to remove it.
• Raphael momentarily bluffing the dragon into believing if she flew that the god of mercenaries and warrior-bards would strike her down.
• Tristan dominating the dragon to fly and provoke opportunity attacks while surrounded.
• Miri scoring multiple critical hits with her flail, and pummeling the dragon to the cavern floor.
• Infyrana calling on her kobold minions, and none showing up, suggesting that Raphael’s deal with Crusher had paid off.
• Ardell and Miri getting teleported in the Kobold Proving Grounds and surviving through wits alone with flying colors.
• Zolar narrowly de-activating the planar sextant with an extended mage hand and a little help from the party.
• A last ditch effort to end the Pillars of Arcane Negation by smashing gems which contained the trapped essence of several important NPCs.
• The frontline PCs stabbing Infyrana to death in ferocious melee, despite her ominous warning of a Killing Curse she had cast upon herself.[/sblock]

We had some table issues regarding excessively long player turns, but overall it was a fitting end to a fun dungeon :)

Last edited:

Remove ads