• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon-themed adventures to compliment Red Hand of Doom...

Remathilis

Legend
Hello

So I picked up Red Hand of Doom for a song ($7) and it got me thinking about using it as a center-piece to a forthcoming 3.5 game.

My idea is based around this; Tiamat is not a deity in my homebrew world, but she is a powerful dragon near-deity (like the demon lords or archdevils) who wishes to ascend to divinity. So she begins using the Red Hand to spread her faith and if the PCs don't stop her, there will be a new evil deity to contend with! The adventure would start small, lead to the RHoD as written, and eventually expand into facing the big Kahuna herself (CR 25 according to Manual of the Planes, I'm not using her deity stats in L&L cuz she's not a deity yet ;) ).

So here is what I need: cool draconic-flavored adventures. Either involving dragons, having draconic motifs, or that could be re-flavored to fit the theme. I don't need every level covered (Its not a AP) but I want as many options as possible to hedge my bets with. Alternately, a high level outing that features her home plane (Avernus/Baator(Hell) would be interesting.

I'd prefer 3.5 compatible modules, but I'm not against stealing good ideas from 1e/2e/4e. Anything that SPECIFICALLY deals with old Tiamat is double-golden! I don't need modules for levels 5-10, but anything pre (1-5) or post (11+) is good.

I await your suggestions

proto128

First Post
You could start with Sunless Citadel. Then again, my answer is always Sunless Citadel.

Regardless, there's somewhere between Some and Alot of dragon flavor that can be used/adapted. If you use the later modules (Nightfang Spire and Bastion of Souls), you could have Ashardalon be Tiamat's consort who aids in her ascension and inevitably betrays her at the end to become a god himself. Or you could write him out entirely and put Tiamat in his place.

Remathilis

Legend
You could start with Sunless Citadel. Then again, my answer is always Sunless Citadel.

Regardless, there's somewhere between Some and Alot of dragon flavor that can be used/adapted. If you use the later modules (Nightfang Spire and Bastion of Souls), you could have Ashardalon be Tiamat's consort who aids in her ascension and inevitably betrays her at the end to become a god himself. Or you could write him out entirely and put Tiamat in his place.

Oooohh, I like the Asharadon/Tiamat idea...

Oooohh, I like the Asharadon/Tiamat idea...
Me too. I think you actually may just have given me the final glue for my campaign.

I can now tie Orcus, Tiamat and Ashardalon together!

(The cult of Orcus is working together with the cult of Ashardalon, them being undead and all - Old A's demon heart makes this even more straight forward. Ashardalon is coworking with Orcus - both want's to acent to godhood Ashardalon instead of Tiamat and Orcus instead of the Raven Queen.
So that's the link between the Orcus themed modules by WotC and Ashardalon. And since Ashardalon is officially aiding Tiamat, he (and his cult) is in truth behind the Red Hand......)

Must go flesh out......

My master plan is to run Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury and then Red Hand of Doom. (One day!)

There is a link between SC and FoF in SC, but I am also intrigued by one of the plot hooks in FoF which drops rumours of magic weapons in the abandoned dwarf hold.

I like the idea of the PCs being warned of the rise of a dragon cult and directed to the Forge of Fury to pick up some gear with which to combat the rising evil.

kensanata

Explorer
GameMastery Module J2: Guardians of Dragonfall (OGL)

I actually played through it. It was a nice idea, but I did not like it too much. No friendly NPC to interact with, many inaccessible things hinted at. If you have some time, you can take the excellent scenery and general idea, and make it into something awesome by having more crypts accessible, etc. I'd give it a 3.5/5.0 which is pretty close to what other people are saying, apparently.

Remathilis

Legend
My master plan is to run Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury and then Red Hand of Doom. (One day!)

There is a link between SC and FoF in SC, but I am also intrigued by one of the plot hooks in FoF which drops rumours of magic weapons in the abandoned dwarf hold.

I like the idea of the PCs being warned of the rise of a dragon cult and directed to the Forge of Fury to pick up some gear with which to combat the rising evil.

If I hadn't already run FoF in my Eberron game, it'd be brilliant!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads